View Single Post
Old 19th February 2015, 01:23 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm sure people would be glad to offer suggestions, but we need more information to go on.

For instance:
  • What sorts of things are you interested in? Any hobbies, for instance?
  • What is your work experience?
  • What skills or experience do you have outside of work?
  • How much money do you have available to invest in the business? (There are lots of things I could suggest that are pretty much guaranteed to make over $100K a year right from the get-go, but many of them require an investment of much more than that to build a factory and/or purchase raw materials... )
  • What sort of resources do you have to sustain yourself while you're building up the business? Will you be able to jump in full time or do you need something you can work on part time while you keep body and soul together with a day job?

There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to make money! Ultimately, that's why most people go into business. But starting a business requires a lot of hard work and will take you many long hours. You're much more likely to invest the time and energy needed to make the business a success if it involves things you like to do and are good at. (I hope you weren't expecting us to come up with some magical "system" that would allow you to make six figures without any hard work. If such a "system" actually existed, we'd all already be retired and living in the tropics, and none of us would be here to post an answer for you. )

A huge percentage of startup businesses fail within their first five years. There are many reasons why, but one of them is that the owners underestimated how much work it is to get a business off the ground, got into something they didn't enjoy and ended up walking away. Making money is wonderful, but money alone isn't going to sustain you if you're faced with spending 10-12 hours a day doing something you hate. Every. Single. Day. Over and over.

As someone who has been in the position of working at something I didn't like to do, I can tell you there's not enough money in the world to make up for the dread you'll feel every day at the thought of going in to work if you're in that situation.

So, tell us some more about yourself and what interests, skills and resources you bring to the table and we'll see what we can come up with.

--Torka