View Single Post
Old 4th December 2004, 07:49 PM   #2
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

Nice suggestions, Hugh.

Effective communication is important to any business, and many businesses don't quite grasp that. I don't quite understand why, but they don't.

I've been to my share of meetings, and I can tell you that when they are done wrong, there's nothing more terrible in the world.

I recently read a decent book on meetings titled Death by Meeting. It had some nice suggestions on how to have effective meetings. Going from that, and my own experiences, I'll offer the following:

An hour long daily meeting sounds like too much. But, a quick meeting daily might be a nice way to see that everyone is on the same page.

A weekly status meeting can be helpful, because it can be used to identify problems and opportunities. It shouldn't be where you try to hash out specific problems, and responses to them. It should be a time when everyone gets to have a say, and move on. If specific actions can be identified that can be addressed quickly at one of these meetings, they should be discussed and their progress noted in future meetings.

If something more serious needs to be looked at, schedule longer meetings as needed. If there is a specific problem or opportunity that the business faces, a meeting to just address that one issue can be helpful. This meeting should be held after some research has been conducted, and that research could be shared ahead of time so that people can enter the meeting after having a chance to read it.

Compensation and communication are two of the most important areas where you can make employees happy. A third is enabling employees to rise within the organization. Give them the training and ability to do the job in front of them, and the opportunity to learn more, so that they can rise through the ranks.

Last edited by bragadocchio; 5th December 2004 at 12:10 AM.
bragadocchio is offline   Reply With Quote