Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Social Media (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   This Facebook Thing Is Amazing... (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40232)

johnnylew 14th April 2011 08:19 AM

This Facebook Thing Is Amazing...

On March 28th I took the plunge! I got serious about Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports WHY DIDNT I START SOONER! I heard so many people say that it didnt work. If your a B2B company I would agree FB is not for you.

My business is perfect (I am still kicking myself!) - I run a sports merchandise business, where do people with common interests hang out? Facebook. Where do they talk about their interests, Facebook.

I started by creating a Fan Page, then bought some ads, and then put "like" buttons on the site...Within minutes I had "likes" coming in, people "liking" the product pages. What is truly awesome is, when someone "likes" the fan page or a product on the website, Facebook posts a comment on that fans wall for all their freinds to see! It's "word of mouth", but on the web.

I am over 500 fans in a little over 2 weeks, and I am only experimenting! Thats 13,000 run rate for 52 weeks. My customer list is over 10,000 and that took 4 years to build!

I am going to ensure I treat fans just like I do customers, encourage my existing customers to join me over on FB and get to know everyone on a personal level. You cant do that on your website, google adwords or email marketing.

As you can tell - I am hooked!

Laura78 14th April 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylew (Post 140752)
On March 28th I took the plunge! I got serious about Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports WHY DIDNT I START SOONER! I heard so many people say that it didnt work. If your a B2B company I would agree FB is not for you.

My business is perfect (I am still kicking myself!) - I run a sports merchandise business, where do people with common interests hang out? Facebook. Where do they talk about their interests, Facebook.

I started by creating a Fan Page, then bought some ads, and then put "like" buttons on the site...Within minutes I had "likes" coming in, people "liking" the product pages. What is truly awesome is, when someone "likes" the fan page or a product on the website, Facebook posts a comment on that fans wall for all their freinds to see! It's "word of mouth", but on the web.

I am over 500 fans in a little over 2 weeks, and I am only experimenting! Thats 13,000 run rate for 52 weeks. My customer list is over 10,000 and that took 4 years to build!

I am going to ensure I treat fans just like I do customers, encourage my existing customers to join me over on FB and get to know everyone on a personal level. You cant do that on your website, google adwords or email marketing.

As you can tell - I am hooked!

Hey Johnny!! So happy to hear of your FB success! I was a bit of a latecomer to the social network also and I'm still trying to get my head around how to use it to its full potential (along with other social sites) - but I would tell anyone they should get into this.

Logan 14th April 2011 05:01 PM

Good to hear Johnny, and as always thanks for keeping us updated how it is going. Its great to hear you are getting the interest you are initially, can you track any sales back to fb?

Quote:

encourage my existing customers to join me over on FB and get to know everyone on a personal level.
A simple email telling them you are giving a free product offer for your new fans should accomplish that. Keep us posted with as much as you can, you're experiences help many here. Thank you.

johnnylew 15th April 2011 08:12 AM

Logan, tracking Sales on FB...

Very easily! In Google Analytics so set the referring domain as cotaining "facebook". I take the Ad metrics from Facebook and merge in the Sales/Conversion data from Analytics to get my ROI, sales data, conversion rate etc... It's great! I can even track it down to the specific ad itself, I send each ad to a different URL, so I know which the ones that convert and the ones that dont by using Anaylitics to show the landing page metrics.

GeoffreyYu7 18th April 2011 01:09 PM

Nice post, and I'm happy for your success. I just want to mention, however, that even B2B businesses can profit from Facebook. There are a LOT of companies on Facebook, and that means that if you're a B2B business, that's one more way to communicate with your customers.

johnnylew 20th April 2011 03:01 PM

Geoffery...

Absolutley...just need a different approach for a B2B profile than a B2C (which i am). When doing FB ads the secret is to highly target your audience and bid a fraction of the asking bid.

georgechapman 23rd April 2011 09:15 AM

Good for you. Once you experiment with landing pages, you'll realize that the possibilities are endless. I suggest looking at the best FB pages on the web for ideas. One of the wife's favorites is the Victoria's Secret page--gorgeous women aside, the page is superbly designed.

amuthajrv 26th April 2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

It is amazing. Now I have started using face-book for our business. I do not know how to create the fan page.

johnnylew 12th May 2011 09:44 AM

Creating a Facbook Page

Quote:

Originally Posted by amuthajrv (Post 141434)
It is amazing. Now I have started using face-book for our business. I do not know how to create the fan page.

You must create a Facebook personal account then it is as simple as creating Page - look at the bottom of your facebook for a link.

We are now over 5,400! Fans - I can't believe the response we have received. http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyLewsSports

shane54 12th May 2011 10:13 AM

Johnny, I'm happy to hear about your success on FB. I'm also using social media for my business, not only it generates traffic but also you can meet new friends and customers.