Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copywriting (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Forget Traffic! Get Your Copy Right! (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24515)

David Jackson 20th January 2009 09:40 AM

Forget Traffic! Get Your Copy Right!

Having an extensive sales and marketing background, I notice marketing mistakes that most people don't see or are unaware of.

For example, I can spot poor copy a mile away and I see a lot of it, both on and off the Internet.

What's copy? Copy is the words on your website and in your ads - the words used to sell your products and/or services.

Unfortunately, the first thing most marketers do when they get a website is worry about getting traffic to their site. And while traffic is important, in my opinion, they're putting the cart before the horse.

Why? Because you can have all the traffic in the world, but if your copy isn't up to par that traffic is going to go to waste. It's not going to convert into sales.

It's been my experience that successful sites generally have good to adequate copy, while sites that are struggling generally have poor copy, among other problems.

So, if you're getting traffic to your site, but it's not converting into sales, you should consider hiring a professional copywriter to evaluate and re-work your copy.

It might make all the difference in the world to your bottom line!

David Jackson

tortilla09 22nd January 2009 01:28 AM

As I browse the net, all copies that I read are aiming more on making sales but what I'm looking for is that it must be also informative.

David Jackson 22nd January 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortilla09 (Post 87201)
As I browse the net, all copies that I read are aiming more on making sales but what I'm looking for is that it must be also informative.

While I appreciate your input, I think you misunderstood what this post is about.

Although oddly enough, I agree with what you said about copy needing to be informative.

David Jackson

procopywriter 5th February 2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jackson (Post 86994)
Because you can have all the traffic in the world, but if your copy isn't up to par that traffic is going to go to waste. It's not going to convert into sales.

You're absolutely right about that. Traffic and conversions (which are driven by copy) are two sides of the same coin. The one is useless without the other.

David Jackson 15th February 2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by procopywriter (Post 88221)
You're absolutely right about that. Traffic and conversions (which are driven by copy) are two sides of the same coin. The one is useless without the other.

I find that's one of the hardest things - to get most marketers to understand that correlation.

David Jackson

Sporkman 15th February 2009 05:22 PM

Perhaps layout & general look & feel would factor into it as well - when I come across a website, I generally size it up in a few seconds - if it's too "busy", hard on the eyes, difficult to follow, or generally poorly designed, I'll just move on. If it's a well designed page, with a pleasing format & color scheme, and with well-placed text that grabs my attention, then I'll stick around longer.

One thing that really annoys me (besides those obnoxious floating banner ads ;) ) are pages that are slow to load & crank up my processor usage. I'll generally not wait around for it to finish loading.

David Jackson 15th February 2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporkman (Post 88916)
Perhaps layout & general look & feel would factor into it as well - when I come across a website, I generally size it up in a few seconds - if it's too "busy", hard on the eyes, difficult to follow, or generally poorly designed, I'll just move on. If it's a well designed page, with a pleasing format & color scheme, and with well-placed text that grabs my attention, then I'll stick around longer.

That's an excellent point, and it definitely figures into the equation. :thumbsup2

David Jackson

veronica 16th February 2009 06:59 AM

Good thread there, maybe when we take time to see things from visitors' perspective and then implement adjustments accordingly then we may see conversions.

copywriter 16th February 2009 07:56 AM

These days, especially with the US economy in the shape it's in, I am finding more and more people coming to me, looking for an increase in conversions. Maybe that means new copy, maybe it's help with poor design elements. Perhaps it's as simple as reworking their value statement and differentiating factors.

It seems to have gotten away from "I need better SEO" or "I need a better PPC landing page" and gone in the direction of "I need whatever it takes to convert visitors into customers." This is where people with a broad scope of vision will do well.

If you are a professional, don't limit your ideas/suggestions to just your particular area. If you notice other elements in your clients' sites that need attention, bring in a subcontractor or make a referral so that your clients can get all the help they need.

They'll respect you for your professional contributions to their project and for actually caring about their overall success.

David Jackson 16th February 2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veronica (Post 88955)
maybe when we take time to see things from visitors' perspective and then implement adjustments accordingly then we may see conversions.

True, but everything still needs to be properly presented.

David Jackson