Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Dofollow Comment Links On Blogs? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36614)

jaairey 27th October 2010 12:01 PM

Dofollow Comment Links On Blogs?

I have been thinking about this for a while, and have now made the comment links on my two blogs "dofollow"

We all want inbound links, however most sites are "nofollow" for comments. We want them, but we are not giving them.

What do fellow bloggers think of this. Would you make your comments "dofollow" or do you think "nofollow" is better?

BTW. The default in WordPress is "noflollow" To make comments you can either change the php code or add a plugin such as the Do Follow plugin.

Logan 27th October 2010 01:05 PM

Arguments can be made for either way, but my personal advice is to have all content posted to the website be premoderated. If that is the case, only quality content is being published and dofollow is completely appropriate as you have reviewed the link as is the intention if you do not use a nofollow

You are looking at it from the perspective of your blog, try to look at it from a different perspective. For example, with this forum has the amount of times you posted been influenced by us not using nofollow in your signature link here?

jaairey 27th October 2010 02:23 PM

My blogs are both set up to moderate the first comment, and then allow any subsequent comments. Of course I have askimet for spam filtering. The blog that is older can get up to 50 spams per day.

With regards to this forum: The absence of nofollow in the signature link certainly influenced my decision as to which forum I participated in. As to whether it makes me post more - I would say definitely yes for my first posts.

Now I try not to do the forum equivalent of "nice post" but would say the follow attribute encourages me to look at the forum more frequently. So in that way it does make me post more frequently than other sites (of various types) that I visit that have nofollow.

Logan 27th October 2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

My blogs are both set up to moderate the first comment, and then allow any subsequent comments.
I'd tweak it a little ... make it so that it requires more posts (say 3, 5 or 10) and make dofollow. Then with users that you can tell are legit good quality, flip the switch after the first post or as you deem as appropriate. Using your experiences here at the forum, I don't frequently need to check your posts cuz I have a feel that you are not going to be spamming the forum but I sure am familiar with them as I naturally read them as i participate in the conversation myself. I'd take a similar approach with your blog. It influenced you here, and I believe you'd have similar experiences with your blog ... with time. There is no issue with dofollow if quality content, and imo an advantage.

howtofranchiseg 28th October 2010 06:41 AM

I have also made blog links "Dofollow" in my blog. I think its good to get more traffic for new blogs as people come to get dofollow link with regular readers too.

SanWay 29th October 2010 12:22 PM

I think that it is a good idea to make a blog do follow but after moderation.

Kalen 30th October 2010 10:54 PM

Many bloggers use nofollow links so that they can be lazy and avoid moderating for spam. this is crazy because spam ruins the user experience just a much. the recommendation is that if you moderate well it doesn't matter. This advice fails to consider that dofollow links can hurt your site if they go to a "bad neighborhood" or lower page rank site. Of course, these sites don't generally leave quality comments because they are more likely to use black hat linkbuilding strategies.

So if you moderate carefully you should be fine although it might affect your page rank a little bit.

Alan Maverick 16th November 2010 06:10 AM

I think it is better for people to have the do follow plugin, but for all the comments to be moderated first definitely!

jpub 17th June 2011 08:08 PM

If you're going the dofollow route, list your blog with CommentLuv Network and use the CommentLuv plugin. You'll get exposure and commenters. I echo the advice about moderating first.

I do blog commenting for SEO and networking in my niche. I write decent comments, sometimes spending 10 to 20 minutes on a comment. Approve only good comments.

Gracioes8 23rd June 2011 03:40 AM

Have you tried the blogs powered by 'drupal'? Most of them gives a dofollow link on blogg comments.