Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Speed Matters (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32340)

samklein 11th April 2010 04:47 PM

Speed Matters

Found this among my Slashdot updates today:

Quote:

Google is now taking into account how fast a page loads in calculating its PageRank. In their own words: '[W]e're including a new signal in our search ranking algorithms: site speed. Site speed reflects how quickly a website responds to web requests. ... our users place a lot of value in speed that's why we've decided to take site speed into account in our search rankings. ... While site speed is a new signal, it doesn't carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal in our implementation and the signal for site speed only applies for visitors searching in English on Google.com at this point.' Considering the increasing dilution of high-ranking results by endless series of plagiarizing 'blogs,' brainless forums, and outright scam sites, anything that further reduces the influence of the quality of the content is something I would rather not have. Not that Google asked me.
Looks like it won't make a difference for most people, but having global servers will now boost your ranking.

Logan 12th April 2010 08:20 AM

Hi Sam, thanks for the heads up on that. It is one of those things that if you do not have good hosting, its time to address it asap. And I can understand why google is trying to reduce the number of times a visitor clicks on results that are not responding frequently.

Quote:

Considering the increasing dilution of high-ranking results by endless series of plagiarizing 'blogs,' brainless forums, and outright scam sites, anything that further reduces the influence of the quality of the content is something I would rather not have.
I realize this is a rant from someone else and not google, but I don't think there is an issue with this update to the algorithm reducing the influence of the content for most. If you have good content, and a bad server you will be impacted. But people were'nt getting to the content in a timely manner in the first place so it is on the website owner to address that.

BeTheBest 12th April 2010 10:48 PM

Ha! There go those $3.00 a month hosting plans, huh?

Good solid hosting that is up and running combined with good content and proper optimization of page titles and meta descriptions still works. I did it for a huge site in 2004... and it's still pulling over 1000 uniques a day. Now I am working on others. It's a long road to hoe, but it works.

joshua99 13th April 2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeTheBest (Post 116075)
Ha! There go those $3.00 a month hosting plans, huh?

Good solid hosting that is up and running combined with good content and proper optimization of page titles and meta descriptions still works. I did it for a huge site in 2004... and it's still pulling over 1000 uniques a day. Now I am working on others. It's a long road to hoe, but it works.

Sure it works but the problem with most website owners including me is that we are interested with the quick money. We do not want to spend time building a site properly.

John Peterr 13th April 2010 06:06 AM

today morning i had came across some article related to speed of loading the websites and its impact SERP. Google is also considering the speed as one of factor .

BeTheBest 13th April 2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Sure it works but the problem with most website owners including me is that we are interested with the quick money. We do not want to spend time building a site properly.
That's why there is so much 'crash and burn' out there. Sustainable business model makes it REAL

Quote:

Google is also considering the speed as one of factor .
I don't need Google to tell me... if a site takes too long, I move on. Don't you? Are you going to wait for a slow loading site? Do you really have the time??

Tiggerito 13th April 2010 10:42 AM

John, Google has announced it IS a factor, but state it will only effect about 1% of searches (at the moment).

I think its a good idea. Website owners and developers should be more aware that speed effects their visitors experience.

Maybe this is the death of flash!

Sporkman 13th May 2010 08:49 PM

Here's the link:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-ranking.html

zharlene 30th May 2010 10:04 PM

I actually just found out this month that they've implemented this. Although it's an interesting new factor they want to take into account, it is an obvious hindrance especially for online start-ups who want to save as much as possible esp. in terms of server costs.

@ Tiggerito - I agree with you; speed affects visitor experience...but on the other hand think about fast-loading sites that have plagiarized content from slow-loading sites that have original content.

The fast sites will gain more visitors, and in this sense they will profit more so they'll have enough to maintain their fast servers. In the same light, the slower sites with original content will be pushed further and further down the SERPs.

I know I'm exaggerating here, but hey...never underestimate a 1% influence; it might just be the percentage that pushes your site from position #10 to position #11 (which pushes you to the 2nd page of the Google SERPs at default setting).

kathyink 2nd November 2011 08:16 PM

SEO techniques are constantly changing. Google constantly finds new ways to improve the rankings of legitimate websites and help searchers get better search experience. By improving site speed, users also get a better surfing experience. The bounce rate decreases and websites are able to retain their viewers more effectively. Good conversions also count on having good surfing experience, so at the end of the day, it is not only for search rankings. This theory is also used for a brick and mortar shop.
Kathy - http://www.cartridgeshop.co.uk

numeric 3rd November 2011 12:55 AM

Google wants us website operators to focus on our website's services. I guess that's a good thing because Google wants the web owners to be more customer-centric. Nobody in today's time wants to have a slow moving website.

Satisfying simple customer needs goes a long way. If they feel like you've worked on your website to look good and at the same time have some excellent SEO and marketing strategies, it's going to get more traffic.

I guess you can say that it's like you're taking care of a baby. You want him/her to grow the best as he can be.

James Tallett 3rd November 2011 07:22 AM

Hi Sam,

I think speed is important. I know if I am folllowing a link on Google and the site is slow to open. I will just click the back button and go to the next Google link.

Are there many like me? I don't know but I suspect that there are.

All the best
James

ChrisGregory 5th November 2011 11:38 AM

If anyone is using Godaddy to host their site I would think about changing for this very reason. I had my original site hosted there and at first it was really fast but after 3 months it was unbearable. Webmaster tools noticed this too as it showed my site in the slowest 75 percentile---ouch! I moved to a new host and notice a 5 spot jump in rankings immediately.

I don't know if you will see this jump but if you are having speed issues and your hosted on Slowdaddy ;) then it might not be your website. They are notorious for overselling their servers.

Cheers.

Loraine321 7th November 2011 09:09 PM

today morning i had came across some article related to speed of loading the websites and its impact SERP. Google is also considering the speed as one of factor .

Ricki 8th November 2011 11:33 PM

Speed Matters

I agree that website speed matter but always not true.I have some websites that are poor regarding speed but excelent regarding performance .

ChrisGregory 9th November 2011 02:35 PM

If you have sites ranking well and are slow that is probably more because you are doing other things right that have offset the speed factor. Page speed does affect rankings. How much? No one really knows but the fact that Google made it apart of webmaster tools should tell you it is important to them.

Cheers.

waynemorrise 9th November 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samklein (Post 115960)

Looks like it won't make a difference for most people, but having global servers will now boost your ranking.

Thanks for this information. I think this was the thing happen in my website. It just happen that it decreases 1 PR of my site. :( PR4 to PR3.

fairdoes 29th April 2012 03:16 PM

I suspect it will become more of a factor as the internet gets busier. Certainly most 'affordable' web hosts set out to get a good reputation, then cram in far too many customers.

There seems no such thing as a premier shared hosting service, and not everyone wants to manage their own server or VPS. Why should they?

David Son 30th April 2012 07:30 PM

A normal user will never wait for long time to get a website opened. I don't have enough knowledge about Search Engine Algorithms but as normal user I just expressed my views.

twhansbury 18th September 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterr (Post 116122)

John if you have a link to that article i'm interested and would like to read.
Thanks

CatherineM 20th September 2013 02:00 AM

Matt Cutts has recently made a video about speed of sites and its influence on your serps and seo in general. And he confirmed that loading speed matters, and I think it is logical as I personally don't like sites which load lots of time? Do you?

phptraing 27th September 2013 02:02 AM

good posting , thanks for all explanations

OmniLeasing 27th September 2013 02:06 PM

Yeah, I found out about this and transferred my hosting and server to a faster and saw jumps in some rankings. It's amazing how little things can make a big impact to ones SEO efforts!

Scottoft 28th September 2013 06:39 AM

Due to page speed importance many companies or firms started to provide page speed services to increase page loading speed. Because its really very important now a days according to google algo. I think we should avoid heavy flash like work on site to get good attention from google.

CD2 Solutions 9th October 2013 10:41 AM

i suppose this is a good point. if a page loads REALLY slowly, people wont like it as much.

BeBizsmart 20th October 2013 11:22 AM

We don't need Google to inform us that page load speed actually matters - this is just common sense! I find a page that loads too slowly today, the next day and I'm not going back there ever again. There's no point achieving top search rankings if you don't offer a great user experience now, is there?

bethw 21st October 2013 09:45 AM

If you are serious about your online business then give importance on speed, your visitors will appreciate the customer experience and Google will love your website that little bit more! Keep your code as light as possible and it would load faster.

AvniShergill 18th April 2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samklein (Post 115960)

Thanks for sharing the updates. I completely agree with you, global servers will help to increase the ranking.

mrjohn 2nd January 2018 12:06 AM

Its all about use experience if a page loads fast then it means it offers great user experience thats what Google likes.

jeffscott 4th January 2018 10:15 PM

Speed really matters because its a trigger on how the visitor will create an impression for your page and Google consider this as good or bad signal from your site.

johnniewalk 18th January 2018 08:30 AM

yes, good information said here, speed is more important one for the website which is leads the SEO and helps the keywords to improve soon.

brookee 2nd February 2018 01:17 AM

Speed does matter. Don't consider a Google's guideline. You are accountable to provide the best experience to your users. If your website is slow people will bounce from there. Nobody wants a slow website.

sofia. 6th February 2018 06:20 AM

Re: Speed Matters

I don't know why Google is trying to reduce the number of times a visitor clicks on results that are not responding frequently. it's not fair.

Ruhani Ansari 7th February 2018 05:42 AM

Page loading Speed indirectly affects the website ranking

You must have heard at some of time being in the SEO industry, whatever is user friendly is google friendly.

The research says average user spend less than 3secs of time for a webpage to load. Page speed is one of most overlooked parameter on the website.
The poor loading speed of the website repel your target user from spending time on your website, no matter how much valuable information your site is carrying.

Google has recently made an update to google page speed tool, where it is using the Chrome User Experience Report to deliver the Page Speed Score.

If the website is receiving minimal page views and high in bounce rate, its ranking will be affected in the search engines as the website not being user friendly.