Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copywriting (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Character Length / Blog Post Headline (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71340)

dayanastockdale 28th November 2015 12:46 PM

Character Length / Blog Post Headline

I am just starting out as a freelance content writer / editor and was hired to do a heavy edit on some SEO copy that was poorly written oversees. I was also asked to rewrite the headlines and subheadlines.

Is there a general guideline for character length for headlines? Or is this a good question to ask, as certain blogs may be in the habit of using very long or very short headlines?

Thanks guys!

Logan 30th November 2015 02:27 PM

Keep it natural. Not too short or too long. Don't over do it with the keywords in the title and use variations/stemming. I can't see the benefit in too long or too short.

handsomegenius 10th December 2015 04:07 AM

Title tag - about 50 characters usually. It varies according to character width.

H1 tag can be a bit longer. I would go with whatever has the most marketing value from a human readership pov, being sure that the main keywords are in there too in a way that fits naturally.

Ola Rybacka 28th December 2015 06:29 AM

Try to tell your audience the essence of content in the headline to awake their interest. I suggest to keep it as short as you can, because people don't use to read this times.

jeffscott 27th January 2016 11:14 PM

The blog post headline must be an interesting title to the target audience and their needs as well as the expectations from your content.

designstoredxb 22nd February 2016 02:12 AM

Headlines play important role in increasing the CTR. So it is great to write eye-catching headlines to get more clicks. You can use digits in the headlines such as 10 tips, Top 10 websites etc.

jandesigner1 25th February 2016 03:36 AM

Keeping your headlines short can make them visible completely if you keep your title less than 60 characters then it can be a good idea

ipitimiseo 25th February 2016 03:49 AM

I think making the headline catchy can catch readers attention.

torka 25th February 2016 09:48 AM

Despite what you might read from some sources, there are no hard-and-fast rules on how many characters a headline should be.

Generally speaking, you do want to include the main keyword phrase in the headline if SEO is a consideration, preferably toward the beginning of the headline unless that makes the wording totally awkward. And make sure the headline gives people a solid clue as to what the actual article is about -- don't get too carried away with being "clever" or cute.

In addition to SEO benefits, the headline is generally displayed in the search results. The headline can have a significant impact on click through rates.

Longer headlines will be truncated in the search results. This can either be a detriment or a benefit. If the truncation occurs at an awkward point or if it cuts off the main point of the headline, it's probably detrimental. However, if the headline is intriguing and cleverly-written, the truncation can actually pique people's interest to find out what the rest of the headline says, which can increase click through rates.

You may need to experiment a bit to find what's best in this particular situation. Beware of anybody who offers a "one size fits all" formula (i.e. "headlines should never be more than X characters long", etc.)

--Torka :iratep:

lilyalvin 2nd April 2016 12:37 AM

Normally there must be 50 to 60 characters to have in title. But it varies with the nature of blogs to post on.