Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Search Engine Marketing Information (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   E-commerce Website Vs. Starting A Blog (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23595)

indieswal 18th November 2008 05:08 PM

E-commerce Website Vs. Starting A Blog

Hello guys,

I have been looking around at several ideas for starting an e-commerce website vs. starting a blog and running some type of advertisement on it. I know this is a very general question, but which one do you think will require more time commitment to get going? It seems to be a blog will require less time and money but that might mean the return will be less.

Any thoughts?

torka 19th November 2008 03:17 PM

Don't underestimate the time required to develop a successful blog. Writing doesn't come easily to most people, and you have to post regularly.

You may load more time on the front end setting up an ecommerce site, but as you get it going, the site itself will probably require less time to maintain than it did to get set up.

How much time overall it will require to run an ecommerce site will depend on what you're selling. If you're selling tangible goods you have to pack and ship, this will require more time than if you're selling electronic goods (ebooks, downloadable software, etc.) or if you're a drop shipper who doesn't stock your own merchandise.

While a blog can be set up fairly quickly, it requires a good chunk of ongoing commitment (if you want it to be a high-quality blog, that is). And if you want it to generate a consistent stream of decent income, it needs to be a very high-quality blog. It will take a long time and a lot of work to build traffic and reputation to the point that you can sell ads for any kind of money.

In short, neither one is a shortcut to easy Internet riches. :)

--Torka

bonciutoma 20th November 2008 09:00 AM

I agree with torka that making money online (if you are a starter) doesn't come easy.

If you want an e-cmmerce website you'll need some articles to get it started.
If you want a blog you can have a plugin that enables you to have an e-shop on your blog.

A blog is easier to setup but harder to maintain because you need to write constantly. An e-commerce website will be harder to setup and you need to invest some money in PPC or some kind of advertising.

You can do well with both if you manage to get at least 1000 uniques per day

indieswal 20th November 2008 11:07 AM

Hmm.. Im just a starter so I think I would just go with the less complicated one..

Logan 20th November 2008 11:10 AM

Welcome aboard :standingw

Here is some info on starting a blog

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=15530

Josephy 9th December 2008 10:32 PM

Both are good. e-commerce website is better to sell products than blogs. But a blog is great for you to promote your e-commerce website and consequently you can indirectly sell more products. For blog hosting provider, I prefer blogger.com. And I Recommend FastCommerce.com to anyone creating an ecommerce website. www.fastcommerce.com is a low-cost, high powered e-commerce platform with lots of great features.

Awesome templates, great back office tools, no set up costs, and no contract. Search engine optimized product catalog...

D Capra 11th December 2008 09:26 PM

I managed 3 blogs and believe me, adding content to all three everyday is time consuming.

If I was looking to sell merchandise I would set up an ecommerce site.

samuallewisssbb 27th December 2008 11:32 PM

i would start with an ecommerce site and use some of the profits to fund a blog.

jimmy03 8th January 2009 04:55 AM

Re

i would also go with ecommerce website,rather than a blog.
but yes blog can also help you for getting revenue.

willchris25 16th February 2009 02:07 AM

The idea of starting the ecommerce website for having the advertisement and create revenue but the blog also can generate revenue and more traffic than the ecommerce website. Because you can have daily updates, tips and different interesting post on your blog and people love to read blogs and new updates that would increase your new visitor.

And if you are providing the useful and new updates nonstop that will increase your returning visitor and reduce your blogs bounce rate.