Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Small Business Issues (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Got an idea...need some feedback (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4542)

Bestmiler 15th March 2006 07:52 PM

Got an idea...need some feedback

Don't know if this belongs here but I couldn't find any other place to post. This is a post about my business idea:

The business will be web-based. The site will focus on promoting business for companies/stores in my local area (New York), probably just my county. I would advertise/email/call companies/stores and let them know if they wanted to take part in the site. People would visit the site and be able to select (from links) like automobile, clothing store, deli, restaurant, etc; for whatever business has signed up or by town. I think this would be a good idea to get small business more recognized.

Companies/stores would have to pay according to what they want posted on the site. This is an example that I have thought of so far...

-Basic Package ($10) - Basic Info (Name, address (multiple address if applicable), phone#, email, store hours)
-Deluxe Package ($25) - Basic Package + Sales (if they have any sales that week or whatever), Pictures
-Premium Package ($50) - Deluxe Package + Coupons, Company/Store of the week*, anything they want to write

*Businesses will be featured on a company of the week (small section of the site) type thing to further promote.

Also, I was thinking that businesses could donate some products (like old phones, gift cards, free meal/item, etc) and people (visitors of the site) would have to pay $1 to vote on the price of the item or what it should cost or something similar. Very similiar to a rafle.

To get started, I was told (thanks to sarmonkey17) that I could give out the service for free to attract visitors and then start to charge or Make a site with a lot of info about the county and slowly begin to advertise.

I have done some research on familiar sites for my county and I came up with one but it hasn't been updated in a while and it doesn't look like it gets many visitors.

Im not sure if I would make them pay yearly or every 6 months.

I know it's long but I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks a lot.

torka 15th March 2006 08:45 PM

There's a business in our area that does something along those lines. They offer basic name/address/phone number listings in their business directory for free to local businesses. They also offer a great deal of local info -- such as an event calendar to which anyone can submit events for free, community classified ads, and feeds from all the local area newspapers. That gets them a fair amount of traffic to start with, which is what you're going to need in order to be able to sell advertising.

What this site does is offer enhanced directory listings (say, with a live URL) and a "featured site" listing (i.e. placed higher in the list than the "regular" free listings) for a fee.

They also offer hosting and site design packages for businesses that want to take things a step further. This may be more than you want to bite off, but I know for these guys it actually works out to be the major portion of their business. Might be something to think about if you can pull it off from a technical standpoint.

Dunno if this is helpful, but I thought it might be good to give an example of a similar business that has worked out.

--Torka

jvance 15th March 2006 08:47 PM

You may also want to check out a new member on this forum 2local.com. He has a website with some similar attributes.

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Bestmiler 17th March 2006 06:22 PM

Torka, every little bit helps. I just read stuff that I could possibly use so thanks.

jvance, i'm aware who 2locals.com is (from another forum) but thanks for the heads up.