Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is Directory Submission Still Useful? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46184)

TylerDurden49 2nd December 2011 01:32 AM

Is Directory Submission Still Useful?

I'm wondering if Directory Submission weather it's nofollow or dofollow still works or it's just a waste of time today?

daveb1 2nd December 2011 11:45 AM

Hi Tyler,

Directory submission still is very useful but probably not for the reasons you are asking (backlinking - seems to be your purpose). Directory listing is still vitally important to creating and maintaining your local presence and search engine relevance.

Directories you must be a part of include Google Places, Bing Local, Yahoo, Yelp and a handful others. Plus if you can find some good local websites related to your area and few popular directories related to your product or service you can never go wrong. Also more links you have on the web with websites with respectable page rankings will never hurt either. Directories are still worthwhile and not strictly from a SEO standpoint. Most of them are free and do not take too much time to set up so why not use them? Yelp allows for reviews and has a business deals program and directories off-shoot perks like this that help there importance as well.

M.Rebecca 3rd December 2011 04:55 AM

Are you talking about website directories or article directories?

Nowadays, article directory submission is losing its importance because all the major directories are hit by this algorithm. (However many of them are recovering.

As far as website directory submission is concerned, it is still effective if done correctly. It
- Gives you considerable traffic
- Improves your search engine visibility
- Solid backlink (in case of a dofollow authority directory)

JohnDale 6th December 2011 12:55 AM

Re:

Directory submission is still very helpful in getting back link as well as traffic....it is very useful either paid or free.... i never did paid submission. only free submission and have good results...

waynemorrise 12th December 2011 06:56 PM

I agree, directory submission is the thing that we must not forget in building links for our site. For it is one of the fundamental task that the SEO must do. There are many various ways in building links through the means of directory, the thing is we must always continue having in our task.

qualibid 15th December 2011 04:35 PM

It is not as useful as it used to be, but I wouldn't call it a waiste of time.
The value of backlinks that you get from directories generally decreased.
Focus on your content, especiall user generated content which will provide socil media links.

mark_white4281 19th December 2011 02:42 AM

I think it’s still useful, but depends on the purpose.

felixkugz 19th December 2011 12:36 PM

hello

Article submission to directories can be beneficial in two ways. The value of the backlinks and the possible traffic from the visitors of the directory. Even after the panda update directories like Ezine articles have maintained a high pr. You could invest in a multiple article submitter if you want to automate the process.
Felix
Biznessmind.com

qualibid 19th December 2011 12:47 PM

1. The value of these backlinks has decreased. Period.

2. I wouldn't mess with all this gray hat automated stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkugz (Post 160998)
Article submission to directories can be beneficial in two ways. The value of the backlinks and the possible traffic from the visitors of the directory. Even after the panda update directories like Ezine articles have maintained a high pr. You could invest in a multiple article submitter if you want to automate the process.
Felix
Biznessmind.com

mark44 20th December 2011 02:14 PM

Its not total waste. you can see when you find links of competitor they are mostly from paid or link exchanged directories.
Directory link can benefit in two ways:
As a dofollow back link
Traffic from that directory. As every directory maintain its search results and data.