Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Search Engine Marketing Information (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Supplemental Results, Penalization, Change Of Algorithm? Cratima Has A Problem ! (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16258)

Cratima 9th January 2008 09:56 AM

Supplemental Results, Penalization, Change Of Algorithm? Cratima Has A Problem !

I am confronting with a problem regarding the SEO, SEM of Cratima website.
I use some indicators for my managerial analysis of the Internet marketing job done for this website.
One of this indicators is the number of results at Google when searching for the keyword cratima
( I do this because I think that if this indicator grows it means that the amount of information about the company grows and it is good for our notoriety ) .
On 24th of November 2007 our cratima.com domain name expired (on 28th was reactivated) and 7 days later the number of results dropped from 60000 to 6000. I assumed that the expiration was the reason and don't take the problem too serious. The thing is that the number of results never came back to around 60000 again.
Now, I think that the amount of information hasn't disappeared from the web.
Please give me a clue, or help me with an article, some opinions.
I've searched the web and read about google hell, supplemental results etc. but I haven't found anything to explain or resolve this problem.
Has google changed the algorithm and many info about cratima on the web had stopped being indexed?
Has google another penalization policy that you can prompt me to read?
Has the domain expiration anything to do with this in the first place?
All the others indicators that I use for the managerial analysis are working just fine: alexa, pr, visits..

Thanks !

Logan 9th January 2008 10:29 AM

Just to confirm, have your rankings changed at all?

I'm not sure on all of your questions ... yet ... but for starters, if you are going to use that as a type of indicator - I would also track with other search engines such as Yahoo and MSN. Doing this for multiple search engines may give you a better feel for the situation.

I don't put a lot of weight in the 'Number of results' google displays. For starters, for any search result I believe there are only 1000 results available.

For example, this search on google for [google] shows 192,000,000. Here is advanced search displaying 100 results per page. As you can see from this link, once you get to the 10th page there are no more results available.

http://www.google.com/search?q=googl...&sa=N&filter=0

The number of results is an 'estimate' and notoriously inaccurate. These may not be the issue, but they are reasons I wouldn't use this as an indicator that I am too concerned with.

Cratima 10th January 2008 07:01 AM

thanks

Thanks Logan.
The other indicators work just fine.
That's way I'm wondering are we punished by Google.
The information from the link you provided stroke me a little.

Baselux 23rd January 2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cratima (Post 60297)
I am confronting with a problem regarding the SEO, SEM of Cratima website.
I use some indicators for my managerial analysis of the Internet marketing job done for this website.
One of this indicators is the number of results at Google when searching for the keyword cratima
( I do this because I think that if this indicator grows it means that the amount of information about the company grows and it is good for our notoriety ) .
On 24th of November 2007 our cratima.com domain name expired (on 28th was reactivated) and 7 days later the number of results dropped from 60000 to 6000. I assumed that the expiration was the reason and don't take the problem too serious. The thing is that the number of results never came back to around 60000 again.
Now, I think that the amount of information hasn't disappeared from the web.
Please give me a clue, or help me with an article, some opinions.
I've searched the web and read about google hell, supplemental results etc. but I haven't found anything to explain or resolve this problem.
Has google changed the algorithm and many info about cratima on the web had stopped being indexed?
Has google another penalization policy that you can prompt me to read?
Has the domain expiration anything to do with this in the first place?
All the others indicators that I use for the managerial analysis are working just fine: alexa, pr, visits..

Thanks !

Your site was still indexed in google but there's no backlinks for your site. Maybe when your domain expired google didn't find your links.