Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Redoing Website (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29123)

GlenShevlin 17th November 2009 03:05 PM

Redoing Website

Hi Guys after lurking around and reading then threads we are going to begin the rebuilding of our website.

I have the optimization and behind the monitor bits sorted out but I need a human relations answer.

What do you as a consumer look for on a website. We sell wedding invitations and personalized stationery. Having looked in the mirror I realized teh human reation part was not in my makeup so I am asking for some input from out there.

Thanks for any help that you can provide :argh:

ktaylor310 17th November 2009 04:38 PM

Personally, when I purchase an item online I am most concerned about the company's authenticity. I pay close attention to the security surrounding the purchase, the privacy policy, return policy, guarantee, and the level of the contact information and support. Reviews are always a plus.

radiogirl 18th November 2009 12:06 AM

Congrats Glen! Good to see you moving forward.

One of the things I think you'll want to focus on from the consumer end is good pictures that show details (and with that good copy to point out those details)...brides tend to be a little OCD about tons of little piddly details that no one else notices.

GlenShevlin 18th November 2009 08:31 AM

brides ... piddly little details....

Actually the brides have got NOTHING compared to the mothers of the bride

stephen186 19th November 2009 01:12 AM

See I look for one thing on any ecommerce store. Its the way the product has been presented. I believe rather than flashy websites, it should be flashy products. I hope you got what i meant by 'Flashy'... :)

rfresh 20th November 2009 11:02 PM

Be sure and post your PCI DSS Certification seal...you need that along with SSL capability...buyers need to *know* that you are handling their credit card information in accordance with the PCI DSS guidelines...

DebraE 22nd November 2009 02:47 PM

Things to show your authenticity is really important, and if you can get testimonials from previous customers and put some on your home page that would be good.
I webpages should not be too cluttered and have a basic light colour as a background, if there is too much to look at your products could get overshadowed.
One thing I found out was the size font you use is important, don't use anything less than size 16.
Make sure it is easy to navigate through your site with simple buttons and links.
Hope you find this useful

Nutty 25th November 2009 04:53 AM

I think everyone has answered and covered all your bases there. I look for good images a good return policy, the payment methods accepted and their terms

Bad connections when paying puts me off and leaves me hot footing it back to Google to find another website

We built a wedding flower website last year and focused on images and light colours with pinks and purples, the client has many compliments on the look and feel of the website, brides appear to like some sexyness with high quality images for them to look at - we added a photo gallery so our client could show case her flowers from every wedding she does, this went down well and her clients comment and rate her images now

Best of luck with your website :)