Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Small Business Issues (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   5 Must Doís For Hiring Great Employees In Small Business (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56136)

AngelBiz 23rd March 2013 07:08 AM

5 Must Doís For Hiring Great Employees In Small Business

The success of any business is largely dependent on its employees. Good employees can help improve the business, and by the same token, bad employees can sink it into bankruptcy. That is why hiring good employees should be of paramount importance to all businesses, and particularly so for small businesses.

In my observation, most small business owners consider employee hiring a necessary evil they have to deal with when current employees leaves. They approach the hiring process in an ad-hoc fashion and try to get someone quickly so that the business can get back on track. The problem is hiring this way does not get you the right employees you need to make the business successful. Eventually, either you will need to fire the employee because he isnít the right fit or the employee himself will leave. In the end, the cycle has to repeat and soon you find yourself in the endless hiring loop.

In working on our own business and with other clients, as well as based on the feedback from the readers I have observed few rules of hiring that, when followed, can take you out of vicious hiring cycle and get you the right employees that will make your small business successful. Listed below are the must-doís for hiring.

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...mall-business/

carpetnj 23rd March 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBiz (Post 187783)
The success of any business is largely dependent on its employees. Good employees can help improve the business, and by the same token, bad employees can sink it into bankruptcy. That is why hiring good employees should be of paramount importance to all businesses, and particularly so for small businesses.

In my observation, most small business owners consider employee hiring a necessary evil they have to deal with when current employees leaves. They approach the hiring process in an ad-hoc fashion and try to get someone quickly so that the business can get back on track. The problem is hiring this way does not get you the right employees you need to make the business successful. Eventually, either you will need to fire the employee because he isnít the right fit or the employee himself will leave. In the end, the cycle has to repeat and soon you find yourself in the endless hiring loop.

In working on our own business and with other clients, as well as based on the feedback from the readers I have observed few rules of hiring that, when followed, can take you out of vicious hiring cycle and get you the right employees that will make your small business successful. Listed below are the must-doís for hiring.

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...mall-business/

I would also add that paying employees minimum wage can cost you in the end. Sometime paying more for a reliable employee actually saves you money.

AngelBiz 25th March 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetnj (Post 187799)
I would also add that paying employees minimum wage can cost you in the end. Sometime paying more for a reliable employee actually saves you money.

I complete agree. If you have found the right employee do not hesitate to pay more. It will pay you back, and some more, in the end.

michaelknulst 26th March 2013 02:00 AM

This article is really helpfull. My experience with finding and hiring great employees is very diverse after many years of recruiting all kinds of professionals. In order to hire the best, you have to become the best employer in the eyes of your current staff and off course the new ones to be. This not only has an interesting effect on your employees, but also towards your customers. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

carpetnj 26th March 2013 07:39 AM

Angel, do you have any other good advice?

Rachel S 27th March 2013 02:09 PM

when hiring new employees

As a small business owner myself, I find that my employees do really well with structure, from the start I let them know by a outline what I expect.
I give them a task list daily extra from their regular tasks, I never hear I board and they also get the satisfaction of accomplishment this also helps take the stress off my plate.
just thought I would share what is working for me!! :thumbsup2

carpetnj 28th March 2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel S (Post 188081)
As a small business owner myself, I find that my employees do really well with structure, from the start I let them know by a outline what I expect.
I give them a task list daily extra from their regular tasks, I never hear I board and they also get the satisfaction of accomplishment this also helps take the stress off my plate.

If you give them boring task, they don't say I'm bored?

AngelBiz 1st April 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel S (Post 188081)

Rachel - Thanks for sharing your experience. I would also suggest that you give them freedom to decide HOW to get the tasks done. When you dictate all the steps of the task you may not get the most creative solutions out of your employees. Tell them what needs to be done and when and let them come up with ideas on how to accomplish it.

AngelBiz 1st April 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertDisuza11 (Post 188315)
How committed are your potential employees? Why are they excited to work for or with you? You want to know about their work ethic, their honesty and their attitude. Ask them questions on work culture. Force them to express their likes and dislikes, the things they're passionate about and the things they want nothing to do with.

Albert - Excellent points. Thanks for bringing them up.

AngelBiz 1st April 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetnj (Post 187974)
Angel, do you have any other good advice?

You might also be interested in this article I wrote on qualities to look for when hiring a small business manager. Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...iness-manager/