Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Does Relevancy Matters? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32203)

joshua99 5th April 2010 09:26 AM

Does Relevancy Matters?

For instance say I got a link from a car site to a health site. Will the health site really benefit from it?

JoshuaHayes 5th April 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua99 (Post 115495)
For instance say I got a link from a car site to a health site. Will the health site really benefit from it?

Yes... relevancy is HIGHLY important! The big "G" is all about the "user experience."

DennisChang 5th April 2010 09:48 PM

I suppose you are refering to whether relevancy matters to page rank of the target page. From what I know, the anchor text of the source page (eg. car site) matters. But if for example your site is a health site, I don't think a PR4 car site backlink is less valuable than a PR2 health site backlink.

JC1227 5th April 2010 11:16 PM

IMHO, links in general helps. Think about the time that pre-dates google and other search engines, links are a major form of marketing I guess.

But like what others mentioned here, quality links from the same topic websites do matter more.

shed3 6th April 2010 05:45 AM

I think from SE perspective that link will be counted as back link support only,I mean it wont give you any additional benefit in your search result keywords ranking

Sas123 8th April 2010 05:03 AM

Your link will be counted and probably you will get some traffic, but it's better to post on forums which are connected by one common topic or idea. You will have more chances for your site.

janicejan 9th April 2010 01:27 AM

If you wanted your website rank well in google, then relevance of the links your were getting is a must. Also if you exchange links with a lot of irrelevant sites, you might be flagged as spamming by google and penalize your website.

joshua99 12th April 2010 03:25 AM

But what do you make of the "links packets" popularized by Angela etc? Do you think they are effective then because most of them come from various sources.

John Peterr 13th April 2010 07:11 AM

yes of course, the relevancy of the site from where you are getting the link also matters.

I have doubt about the relevancy factor.

what about getting listings from directories which are no way considered with the area of the business except some directories like dmoz and yahoo?

SmallBizRox 4th May 2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janicejan (Post 115833)
If you wanted your website rank well in google, then relevance of the links your were getting is a must. Also if you exchange links with a lot of irrelevant sites, you might be flagged as spamming by google and penalize your website.

I'd rather have my links on pages that are relevant! And I agree, too many irrelevant links is NOT a good idea. IMHO. :)