Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Social Media (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Does Social Networking Make You LESS Social (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25879)

ktaylor310 19th April 2009 03:18 PM

Does Social Networking Make You LESS Social

Has anyone else noticed that the more time you spend on social networking, the less social you actually become? It seems to me that the more time you spend sending out your updates, comments and article/site recommedations, etc., the less time you have to answer questions, follow-up on comments you've initiated, or participate in forums, etc. Common sense tells me that there has to be long-term value in the networking aspect, but from a social aspect it makes me wonder.

timandren 19th April 2009 10:31 PM

I noticed that at first. Eventually once the newness fades away I began to establish real connections that turned into in-person relationships, especially with sites such as LinkedIn and Meetup.

uyytuyt 28th April 2009 11:36 PM

This maybe the side effect of the social networking.

ChristineG 29th April 2009 10:42 AM

Interesting thought.

I can see where that could be true. I would agree with Tim that that seemed more of an issue in the beginning for me when I was first getting acclimated to some of the sites.

Now I think I have a sort of "routine" down where I try to spend an equal amount of time sending out my status updates, tweets, links, etc. and replying, commenting back, interacting, etc.

I do think it is a balancing act that requires some time management.

acwebguru 5th May 2009 11:52 PM

nice idea propounded by you. I think social networking sites are making us internet addicted which has to be shunned at any cost for ensuring a normal and happy life style which we all desire.

elsoft 7th May 2009 09:14 AM

I enjoy participating in the social networking site.My observations donot suggest anything about the declining socializing aspect.In fact with some of my friends,there ability to get going with new people have improved after being part of these sites.The exposure we get here is amazing.

homebizworker 7th May 2009 04:41 PM

It Does...And Then Again It Doesn't

I don't know about everyone else, but I've found that it makes keeping in touch with people easier. On the other hand, I use Social Networking to promote my business so at the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is Social Network. Interesting conundrum.

torka 8th May 2009 11:34 AM

Around here, we've got a lot of real-life social activities that feed off social networking -- like periodic Tweetups where the local Twitter users meet in real life. I've made several good friends, met a lot of folks in real life that I probably would not have otherwise met, just because of having first "met" them online.

This is important for me, because I tend to be an introvert. I've had to force myself a bit to get out to these real-life social gatherings, but because I wanted to meet my online friends face-to-face, I made the effort.

In my case, social networking has probably made me more social (in real life) than I otherwise would have been. :)

--Torka