Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The 2 Hours After The WordPress 5 Minute Install (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18869)

calevans 14th April 2008 02:34 PM

The 2 Hours After The WordPress 5 Minute Install

This is an article I wrote yesterday after setting up yet another WordPress site.

Quote:

I now run WordPress on 4 of my web properties. So let me first say a big thank you to the entire WordPress development community for all their work. Itís an excellent platform for the types of projects Iíve been working on lately. More importantly, it allows me to get going quickly and move on to working on my main idea.

In the process of installing and managing these properties, Iíve learned just a little bit about WordPress and decided that I had better document some of it before it falls out the back of my head. So while I was spending time yesterday installing and configuring WordPress for another site, I decided to document my steps. Iím putting them down here, mainly for me but if you find it useful as well, Iím glad.

These are the steps I take in installing a basic WordPress site.
The full article can be found here:
The 2 Hours After the WordPress 5 Minute Install

As always, I hope it is as fun to read as it was to write.

=C=

simonr 14th April 2008 05:26 PM

Wordpress...

.... is pretty darn cool

We use it for our blog and it's unbelievably easy to set up! Quite staggeringly simple - particularly for something which is so "complicated" in terms of its functionality.

If only everything worked so well!

The only downside I've found is that my ISP was a bit of a pain to get sorted out 'cos they originally claimed not to have the necessary bits and bobs on their server!

S

Mindy 15th April 2008 04:05 PM

I'd be interested to see some condensed instruction for installing Wordpress into your own theme. Wordpress has tons of docs on that topic, but it can be a bit overwhelming at times. It's so simple to initially install, which is great, but the time spent is all the customization afterwards. I'm still trying to get mine up and running. I'm glad I read this post, though, because it reminded me to pick it back up to work on it.

cirklagirl 5th August 2010 08:47 AM

Fantastico is fantastic

I always use the Fantastico tool on HostGator (and other ISPs) to install WordPress painlessly. It is a great tool. It can be found among the many icons on the control panel of your host. I think many of them use the same basic software to create their "cpanel" so just look for Fantastico - it is FANTASTICO!:thumbsup2

lyrafire 5th August 2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindy (Post 67225)
I'd be interested to see some condensed instruction for installing Wordpress into your own theme. Wordpress has tons of docs on that topic, but it can be a bit overwhelming at times. It's so simple to initially install, which is great, but the time spent is all the customization afterwards. I'm still trying to get mine up and running. I'm glad I read this post, though, because it reminded me to pick it back up to work on it.

I've had very good luck going straight to the support forum. Usually, I don't even have to ask the question. I search for the topic, and more often than not, someone has already addressed the problem. Also, the fellow who developed the theme I use (Magazine Basic--I recommend it) has a website where he also answers theme specific questions. Run a Google search for the name of your theme to see if a developer site exists. Hope this helps.

MySmallBiz 7th August 2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrafire (Post 123752)
I've had very good luck going straight to the support forum. Usually, I don't even have to ask the question. I search for the topic, and more often than not, someone has already addressed the problem. Also, the fellow who developed the theme I use (Magazine Basic--I recommend it) has a website where he also answers theme specific questions. Run a Google search for the name of your theme to see if a developer site exists. Hope this helps.

this is great advice! :thumbsup2

Blake 13th August 2010 03:56 AM

Hi there,

Unbelievably, I'm a Wordpress lover and got some blogs running up the Wordpress core / script. Sometimes, I do make an experiment on installing it "manually" to know how it really works. It maybe time-consuming, but I guess, it's still worth the time.

BTW, you might wanna take a look on your Fantastico or Softaculous, which has a one-click Wordpress installs. Good luck and happy blogging to one and all.

Best Regards,
Blake

lyrafire 13th August 2010 11:14 AM

Why is it unbelievable that you're a Wordpress lover?

mattcarpet 15th August 2010 10:50 PM

I want to know too why loving wordpress would be considered a bad thing. I built my personal site on wordoress and love it. I have the ability to completely hand code a site from scratch so it really was simply because I love wordpress.

dsteele 5th September 2010 11:31 AM

I have been wanting to start a website based on a wordpress blog forever I think I just might give it a go now :)