Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ecommerce (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ecommerce Book (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21165)

Stang 6th August 2008 08:05 PM

Ecommerce Book

Can anyone recommend a good book on ecommerce for someone who is looking to get into such a business?

E-Commerce Guy 6th August 2008 09:09 PM

There are hundreds of books on e-commerce. Depending on the aspect of it you are most interetsed in, there wil be more choices than others. For example, if you are most interested in learning how to accept payments on your site, search terms more related to 'accepting payments'. If marketing and advertising are your subjects of interest, search those terms in addition to e-commerce.

Check out Amazon and just type in 'e-commerce books' or 'books about e-commerce', I got a pretty good list when i did it.

This is generalized info but I don't want to just recommend one book without knowing what specifically you want to learn about.

Hope this helps.

Stang 7th August 2008 07:00 AM

I did do a search on Amazon but some of the books on the list are a bit dated.

I am looking for a primer of sorts; a book that covers all aspects of an ecommerce business as I don't have any experience in this area. I am not concentrating on any specific area.

E-Commerce Guy 7th August 2008 10:58 AM

Well, a book I've found to be quite helpful and easy to understand is one titled, "Succeeding in E-Commerce, Insider Advice and Practical Tips". Its by Roni Alhadeff and it was published in '05, so it's fairly recent. In my opinion, its a nice overview of e-commerce for someone starting out.

I would also suggest picking up some magazines on the topic. You'll be able to see what other people are doing in e-commerce world, what's proven to be successful, and what not to do. I like Internet Retailer.

JoelC 21st August 2008 09:15 PM

What about Dummies books?

Well, I'm a bit biased, but if you want a visual book that'll give you the basics of setting up your own e-commerce store, there's Web Stores Do It Yourself for Dummies. If you want a book that covers a lot of the different areas regarding an online business, try Starting an Online Business All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies. They're available on Amazon or at any major bookstore.

Disclaimer: I wrote or co-wrote these books, so naturally I am biased towards them. :thumbsup2

I wrote Web Stores for people who just want to follow along as I click through all the steps of getting an account, picking a template, creating a catalog, setting up your store, and the beginning steps of marketing it. The Starting an Online Business book is actually "11 books in one" as it has 65 chapters on everything from legal issues to web design to marketing. It's a little bit of everything, and if you want to get deeper knowledge in one of those areas, there's probably a specific book to help you.

In any case, I hope this helps. As the E-Commerce Guy wrote, it really depends on whether you want to learn about the concept, build a specific kind of store, build a presence on a site like eBay or Amazon, etc.

Joel