Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Social Media (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   What Is The Best Method To Gain Followers In Any Social Networking? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42239)

Mike.Bean 18th July 2011 10:16 AM

What Is The Best Method To Gain Followers In Any Social Networking?

You can not just go around looking for customers and trying to get them to add your account onto face book or twitter or any other social networking site. So how do you do this? Besides having a button on my main websites for these things of course.

It's fairly new but still, in three months nobody is adding me to there face book or twitter. How do I get more target consumers to add me to these websites??

BeTheBest 18th July 2011 09:23 PM

When in business, you should consider Facebook to be your lead generation source... or at least one of them.

So how do you (or did you) do it before?? For mailing list subscriptions, you need to offer something of value. The same for Facebook.

Not sure of your site... or if you blog... but you could also get more out of it when you start to get controversial in your comments. Yes, you may upset some. But the others... they will be solid followers.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

DennisChang 19th July 2011 12:51 AM

Having good content surely helps. For a start, maybe you can try get your friends to be your followers first.

melissacatwalk 19th July 2011 05:55 AM

You should show that you are interesting and we know a lot and we are ready to share your knowledge with people. On Facebook try to set up a fan page.

Rojae Braga 19th July 2011 12:46 PM

Hi All!

This has also been a real challenge for me when I started using Social Media accounts, and I believe it is for everyone.

However, I've come across 2 useful web services that hopefully may help: Twiends & Social Clump. Both of them are used in growing your number of Twitter followers, Youtube subscribers & viewers, & Facebook page likes.

Please see the separate thread that I'll be starting with a comparative analysis for both these sites.

These are quite new services (especially Social Clump) that look promising, and I'd be glad to share my experience with them to everyone. :welcome2:

Candice Robins 19th July 2011 04:28 PM

Social media is a successful internet marketing tactic for many companies in increasing brand awareness and loyalty. However, it is not always appropriate for every industry or business. Therefore, I would suggest consulting an internet marketing agency to determine whether social media is a beneficial outlet for promoting your business and reaching your customers.

David Jackson 19th July 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candice Robins (Post 147625)
Social media is a successful internet marketing tactic for many companies in increasing brand awareness and loyalty. However, it is not always appropriate for every industry or business.

I couldn't disagree more. In fact, I can't think of a single industry that couldn't benefit from a properly executed social media marketing campaign.

David Jackson

smallbus01 26th July 2011 11:50 AM

GOOD CONTENT. Very good useful articles get potential customers interested. Once you get some people interested, you will need to interact with your followers/friends to get them hooked. Keep updating your page and tweets for new products or releases. Try using Linkedin too, very useful.

Ted GWL 26th July 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jackson (Post 147639)
I couldn't disagree more. In fact, I can't think of a single industry that couldn't benefit from a properly executed social media marketing campaign.

David Jackson

I know a guy who owns a small manufacturing company that manufactures small stainless steel components that are sub-assemblies for other parts manufacturers. He has 6 total customers that keep him busy with work. How is a social media campaign going to benefit this guy?

UtahPRGUy 26th July 2011 05:06 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the others that content is king when it comes to social media. I also think links to other relevant information on other sites is very important if you are trying to gain followers on any social network site.

Gary Barzel 28th July 2011 06:16 AM

Twitter and FaceBook while both good way to help market your business, they have different twists to them in order for you to be successful with it. For Twitter you need to interact with other users, comment on their posts, retweet their posts and build up a relationship with them. FaceBook works a little differently, I would suggest not to clutter your followers walls with unwanted posts and articles. Rather submit informative content a couple times a day that warrant a response. Once you get a response you can engage with your followers. Also you can post questions to your fans seeing what their likes are and addressing their needs. You can offer discounts as well as promotions to your fans. And be sure to answer criticism if there are any with a polite response.

johnnylew 28th July 2011 01:11 PM

Whether you have 6 or 60,000 customers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted GWL (Post 148156)
I know a guy who owns a small manufacturing company that manufactures small stainless steel components that are sub-assemblies for other parts manufacturers. He has 6 total customers that keep him busy with work. How is a social media campaign going to benefit this guy?

Facebook can be used. I will argue with anyone who says it wont. If you say it wont then your one of those who hasnt figured out who your customer is OR even worse, you know who your customer is and you dont know how to communicate with them.

For the guy/gal who tried to claim a small mfg has 6 customers and couldnt possibly use FB. How about getting the 6 customers to become fans and now use FB to communicate new ideas, lower cost ideas, new material ideas, latest trend in stainless steel pricing and news, or just treat them like people and tell them how business is, how the family is...ask them how they are how their business is...my god the possiblilities are endless!!!

Mike.Bean 28th July 2011 01:37 PM

Johnny, I have followed some of your threads on your facebook success. Congratulations by the way. I have been using some facebook ads to advertise my site. It is a medical business and I feel I have targeted the right people. I have ran many ads and found the most successful. I'm getting more and more facebook "likes". I enjoy all the likes and I post on it every day.

Now for the bad part of this story.

No one seems to respond to my posts. Also after spending near $100 (not complaining I know it takes money to make money and a lot more money then that) I still have not seen even one sale from facebook, also I have barely even seen any people that have come from facebook to my site. Even after liking it. I don't get it.

the ratio is about for every 4 people that like my page, 1 comes to my site and 0 orders are made.

I'm not trying to battle and say facebook doesn't work period, I guess i'm just asking if you have any suggestions I can try now that I have more people that like my page.

LindsayT 28th July 2011 02:13 PM

FB Incentives

I've found that offering an incentive as well as providing great content made our 'likes' and conversions grow.

Our incentive was a daily deal along with a code that was only offered on our FB page. So far it's been really successful.

johnnylew 29th July 2011 08:22 AM

Mike.Bean - Are you doing this?

Mike are you posting "link" status updates to your website? Posting regular status updates will not get anyone to your website. Check out my posts at http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports You will see I mix them up Regular Status Updates, Photo Posts & many Link updates. I also throw links into my regular posts and replies (again see them on my wall) - although some say you shouldnt put links in your posts and comments i havent seen any negative responses.

Let me know if this works for ! If not I can look at your strategy and give you some more suggestions.

smallbus01 29th July 2011 08:45 AM

I know a few tricks on Twitter. Although you might not result to this method but it is definitely effective. You start with following a bunch of random people if you follow about 1000 there is bound to be at least 100 following you back.

Then you can work from there. You can tweet about giving up money to charity for every follower you get in the next hour. Some may think it is spam but there is no risk. So it works. Or you can make a fake prize to someone, a chance to win a special edition twitter shoes. That will make A LOT of people go crazy.

Got about 300 followers in a few hours. Then when you get enough amount of followers then go for your market.

Mike.Bean 29th July 2011 10:23 AM

I have definitely been leaving my link on facebook, I even tried talking to my possible customers personally asking them to comment back and tell me what they think I should do to make business better. I did not get one comment back. I have started putting videos out and posting them, they get viewed but no comments and the same ratio of people go to my sight. I'm Stumped

johnnylew 29th July 2011 10:44 AM

mike.bean - whats your facebook page?

let me give it a look! very strange that you get NO clicks or comments.

johnnylew 29th July 2011 10:52 AM

Small Biz 01 - NO WAY!

Your suggesting fake charitable give aways and prizes...That is terrible and you should be held accountable for promising something you have no intention on delivering!

johnnylew 29th July 2011 11:00 AM

Mike.Bean - viewed your FB Page...

Here is my take. First, Page looks great. Now, the 123 fans you have, may not be responding because of the following reason; 1. are these friends from your regular fb personal page? if so I would expect no activity from them. Why? unless they are passionate customers then they wont respond. 2. Unfortunatley out of th 123 you do have they arent interested in the message your sending Why? First I think your posting too often. Back off to 3-4 times a week and never more than once a day. Your first messages are all about YOU...wrong approach...make it about them. You start to do that in recent posts. Give away some information that you think those 123 current fans want & need.

You may want to advertise to get some more fans, you may want to visit relevant pages of others and ensure you tag yourself so they come over to your page.

Mike.Bean 29th July 2011 11:51 AM

Only 20 of the fans are from my personal page, the rest came through facebook ads so I would think they should be somewhat interested. Your right about the beginning posts, I will keep the posts about customers from here on out.

I've done about everything you said except for limiting posts, I will keep it to once a day from now on. I never did more then two before, but hopefully it helps.

The only thing left I could try is offering coupons that you can only get off of facebook. Hopefully this will help or I am not sure what to do besides giving it a little more time and doing the same thing.

I'll let you know how this turns out for me, Thanks for the help.

Also, I agree the fake charity event is horrible and should never be used, EVER!

NVISIONtradesho 8th August 2011 12:07 PM

The best way we've grown our numbers is through advertising. Facebook's targetted likes are crucial in gaining not only numbers but to gain the potential customers.

We've also noticed email blasts have helped us. We have a large email list, so it wasn't hard to convince them on facebook.

GoForIt123 16th August 2011 11:41 PM

You can make great articles, post it on your site. Get people to go there to read it. And continue doing that. Everyone here is right, Content makes people want more. Words sells.

sterling sherre 26th August 2011 02:28 PM

Just wanted to make sure that anyone struggling to create a facebook fan page for their business knows that woobox is free not branded and easy. Just type in woobox when you are on facebook and you will get taken to the app site. I have no affiliation but wanted to let you know.

Mike.Bean 27th August 2011 10:03 AM

I think the best methods have been discussed in this thread in great detail for twitter and facebook at least.

Russell Allert 27th August 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike.Bean (Post 150658)
I think the best methods have been discussed in this thread in great detail for twitter and facebook at least.

Thanks for the mention, Mike! It's appreciated!

Russell Allert

Mike.Bean 28th August 2011 04:35 PM

Anytime Russell, I started to use your methods on twitter and I only put about an hour into it. The very next day I looked I had 5 new followers that I know are in my target market area.

It may not seem like a lot but that only took an hour and it was my first time ever trying it. Now that I feel I have a good process down I know i can get more then just 5 followers in an hour.

Even if I spent an hour a day and got 10 followers in my target market, that's 3,650 followers a year, for FREE. That is a rough guesstimate and the true number could rise or fall but that's pretty good either way.

I did not know twellow even existed somehow... that piece of information was helpful. Then there is Twit Vid, I did not know that was there either. I already have video's on facebook and youtube, but another place to throw your video's on to is one more link to bring people back to your main site, and it will also help your PR.

So thank you for the great information!

Russell Allert 28th August 2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike.Bean (Post 150696)
Anytime Russel, I started to use your methods on twitter and I only put about an hour into it. The very next day I looked I had 5 new followers that I know are in my target market area.

It may not seem like a lot but that only took an hour and it was my first time ever trying it. Now that I feel I have a good process down I know i can get more then just 5 followers in an hour.

Even if I spent an hour a day and got 10 followers in my target market, that's 3,650 followers a year, for FREE. That is a rough guesstimate and the true number could rise or fall but that's pretty good either way.

I did not know twellow even existed somehow... that piece of information was helpful. Then there is Twit Vid, I did not know that was there either. I already have video's on facebook and youtube, but another place to throw your video's on to is one more link to bring people back to your main site, and it will also help your PR.

So thank you for the great information!

Awesome! I am glad your found my advice useful. Believe me that it does get easier as you get more familiar with Twitter and how it works.

Just remember that it isn't all about the numbers either. Even one follower can broadcast your message to all of their followers as well. But, well done, Mike.

Oh and I am also following you on Twitter - love to see how it turns out for you. :)

Russell Allert
Find me on Twitter: @RussellAllert

pontot 28th August 2011 07:05 PM

The most direct way is to create a fan page or normal account with links to the most important pages regarding your web site. You should be able to publish things for users to see as this is where you are going to thrive off.

Though followers would not always turn out to sales, it still is good to have a platform to which you can give out information.

carolrastet 29th August 2011 03:21 AM

I agree that good articles can attract customers but I am sure that the first time people visit a site of a group in FB when they see something attractive so you must attract them, you can do it by interesting logo, discount, great picture and so on :)

BlissAdvertisin 1st September 2011 10:42 AM

While social media is a great tool for: Networking, and Creating Brand Exposure, followers do not always convert into customers.

Most people are often bombarded with invitations, tweets and information and sometimes accept a request just for the fun of it.

The key to differentiating yourself is personalized notes, and like Mike suggest getting a target audience. By offering free advice and personalized techniques on how they can improve their business they are more likely to build a "relationship" with you and buy from you.

So start using the IM features in Twitter and send out personal notes.

Regards,
Veronica

accurate.cygnet 12th December 2012 01:31 AM

Always keep your viewers updated. Be regular on social media. Keep updating you content and post links on your and your friends' profile.

raveinfosys 26th February 2013 02:00 AM

25 Ways to Get More Social Media Followers

1. Enable Social Sharing

Add buttons to your blog and even other website pages that allow visitors to share your content on social sites like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Some services like Tweetmeme allow you to add RT @YOURUSERNAME to the end of each tweet shared from your site, so that would help you get more followers.

2. Share Quality Content

If you have high-quality and interesting content on your social media profiles, you’re more likely to get more followers than if you were tweeting purely self-promotional updates.

3. Get Employees to Follow

Tell your employees to follow/like/subscribe to your social media profiles. People are more likely to follow pages that already have some sort of following, so your employees will help build your initial numbers.

4. Invite Partners, Vendors, Clients, and Customers

Send a friendly and personalized email to anyone you have a business relationship with, including partners, vendors, clients, and customers, letting them know about your social media profiles.

5. Email Signature

Add links to your company’s social media profiles in your company email signature. Create a signature template that includes these links and encourage your coworkers to use this signature as well.

6. Blog Comment Signature

When you make a comment on a blog post, link to your most active social media profile (usually Twitter or Facebook) in a signature-like style.

7. Include Links on Offers and Assets

Link to your social media profiles on your whitepaper cover page, webinar thank you page, one-page guide footer, etc.

8. CTAs on Thank You Pages

After a new lead fills out a form on your site, it’s a good idea to include links or calls-to-action on the subsequent thank you page encouraging these leads to follow you in social media. If they were interested enough to give you their email address, they’ll likely be interested in following!

9. CTAs on Thank You Emails

Just like you’d add calls-to-action to your thank you pages, add them to your thank you emails. Again, new leads are more likely to at least check out your social media profiles.

10. Cross Promote

Add your Twitter link to your Facebook page, and occasionally tweet about your Facebook page. Don’t stop with Twitter and Facebook; you could also cross-promote on LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube, etc.

11. Contact or About Us Pages

Including links to your social media profiles on your contact us or about us page will reinforce the idea that your customers and/or prospects can reach out to you in social media just like they could via email or phone. Social media is more visible, so their friends may see their comments to you.

12. Business Cards

Include links to your most active social media profiles on each of your employees’ business cards below their contact information.

13. Newsletters & Lead Nurturing

Include links to your social media profiles in the footer of any company email you send out, including newsletters or lead nurturing emails.

14. Direct Mail Assets

Still using direct mail as part of your marketing strategy? If you can’t let go, include links to your social media profiles on any direct mail pieces you send, including catalogs, coupons, or any other direct mail asset.

15. Facebook: Like Box on Website

Install a Facebook Like Box (formerly known as Facebook Fan Box) on your website. Your blog page, homepage, and other high-trafficked page sidebars are good places to install a Like Box.

16. Facebook: Hide Content From Non-Likers

Create a default tab on your Facebook business page that contains content hidden from anyone who has not yet liked your page. Once someone likes your page, they can see the offer/content you had hidden. This is a great incentive for someone to like your page.

17. Facebook: Suggest to Friends

Encourage your employees to use the Suggest to Friends feature to share your Facebook business page with any of their friends who would be interested in reading your updates.

18. Facebook: Invite Friends Tab

Add an “invite friends” tab and periodically encourage your fans to head over to invite their friends who might be interested in reading your updates.

19. Twitter: Twitter Directories

Add your company’s Twitter profile to Twitter directories under categories that are relevant to your company. This will make it easier for prospects to find you based on their interests. WeFollow, Twellow, and Listorious are just a few of the Twitter directories available.

20. Twitter: Add a Twitter Badge or Module

Promote your Twitter profile on your website by finding a Twitter badge that fits your site’s design, or add an official Twitter widget to your site. Your blog page, homepage, and other high-trafficked page sidebars are good places to install a Twitter widget.

21. Twitter: Talk to People Who Mention You

Track your brand in social media using HubSpot's social media monitoring tool or Google Alerts so that you get notifications whenever someone mentions your brand. When they do, follow them and/or reply to their tweet.

22. LinkedIn: Add Links on LinkedIn Profile

Add a link to your most active social media profile in your links. You can optimize these links by clicking “Other” and write “Follow (Company Name) on Twitter” when adding your link to Twitter, for example.

23. LinkedIn: Add links to LinkedIn Business Page

Add links to your most active social media profiles on your LinkedIn business page. You can add these links in the about section.

24. LinkedIn: LinkedIn Answers Signature

When you make a comment on LinkedIn Answers, link to your most active social media profile (usually Twitter or Facebook) in a signature-like style or as one of the web resources.

25. YouTube: Embed Your Videos

If you have any videos that you’d like to share on your website, add them to your YouTube profile and then embed those YouTube videos on your site. That way people can discover your YouTube page, and you have potential to benefit from YouTube’s viral nature.

Acewebacademy 4th February 2014 02:49 AM

Shiva kumar

Having updated content and relevant posts on social networks you can increase your followers.

Carrie Minton 5th February 2014 08:49 AM

I also would like to know how to gain more customers using social media. Hope to get more info from you! I know that social media marketing is so important to be ignored. That is why I am also interested to learn more strategies from you! :)

Cindy16 16th February 2014 11:59 PM

Give something to people that they find beneficial. Like freebies, 1 month free subscription of your service, free eBook and the like. This is costly but this will be a good start to attract customers.

karenfisher252 17th February 2014 12:47 AM

Putting up interesting posts or updates really helps in turning around a few heads.

localdiaries 17th February 2014 06:38 AM

It depends on your own social profile, if your profile is with good content and you posted always a interesting articles and blogs, then its always help you in getting a good follower on your profile.

sb1 design 29th October 2014 01:18 AM

Everyone is going on about 'content' and while that is absolutely true, you also need to engage.

What I mean by this is if your are on Twitter or Google +, check out profiles of other companies/individuals that are related to your niche.

Where appropriate, Like, retweet, and Google + there posts and content. Leave comments and get in on the action by engaging with what they do.

You will find after a while you will get the same back and your following will slowly build. Your profile and presence will be seen more people and potential new customers will be part of that.

If you are actively involved with the online social community that exists around your product/service niche, you will find that they will eventually start engaging with you.

SheenaMathieson 3rd August 2015 08:31 PM

Try to Make a Facebook fan page about your website.