Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Broken Backlinks

EvaRays
21st January 2016, 08:36 AM
What are broken Backlinks and is it harmful to any websites? Please explain briefly, I've asked serval forum but didn't get exact answer. I hope that help me to that forum.

torka
22nd January 2016, 08:31 AM
A broken link is simply a link that points to a page that doesn't exist.

There are two kinds of broken links:

Links that appear on YOUR website, pointing to pages that no longer exist (which might be on your own site or on other people's sites)
Links that appear on OTHER people's websites, pointing to non-existent pages on YOUR website

As to whether they can "hurt" your site depends on what sort of hurt you're talking about.

The first kind of broken links can potentially hurt your site because they are evidence the site is not carefully maintained. It's possible if there are a lot of these broken links on your site, the search engines will downgrade the site in the rankings because it will not be considered a reputable or valuable resource. It will definitely suffer reputation damage with your human site visitors, as they click on links that don't work.

The second kind of broken link can't hurt your site directly, because the link doesn't exist on your site. But they can hurt indirectly, because people who are interested in visiting your site will click the link and not be taken to the page they expect to reach. You will lose business this way.

You can run link checking software (Xenu is the one I use) to identify broken links on your own site. Fix those immediately. You can review your site access logs error report to find outside links that are generating "page not found" errors. Contact the webmaster of the referring site and ask them to make a correction, or put a 301 redirect in place to send the incorrect link address to the desired page.

--Torka :iratep:

Dreamland
25th January 2016, 09:26 AM
As a simple explanation broken backlinks don't exist long and this can't be helpful for the website. It's useless according to the thought of google rules.

daveMac
26th January 2016, 01:29 AM
I try to check for broken links often...... I feel that Google will not try to go past a broken link.... so is best to pay close attention.

I am not sure about that, I just noticed the number of indexed pages was far greater after I spent a day cleaning up broken links

HCFGrizzly
26th January 2016, 09:39 AM
Broken links are links that point to a page that doesn`t exist anymore.
The only way that they will affect your ranking is if you delete content from your website and not place a 301 redirect or something else in the place of the deleted content.
If the links point to an non existing page you will lose the traffic that comes through that link.
There is even a white hat SEO tactic for building backlinks from broken link.
Here is the article that explains how:

https://moz.com/blog/the-broken-link-building-bible

siriinnovations
29th January 2016, 05:51 AM
Yes broken black links really effect the SEO to the website. Follow the below URL in that they explained clearly about broken black links and there effects.http://www.brickmarketing.com/blog/broken-links-seo.htm