Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : List Of Things Every Business Owner Should Know About SEO

BeBizsmart
15th November 2013, 07:18 AM
These days, search engine optimisation has become a big topic. Showing up favourably on the search results can mean all the difference for your business. If your goal is to get more leads and customers, you need to follow the numbers. SEO has grown to become one of the best marketing channels and its importance will only increase as more and more people access the web on their mobile devices. Itís fairly simple to build a website today, thanks to platforms like WordPress and Joomla. The hard part though, is getting people to notice you.

As a business owner, what are some of the key things you need to know to ensure you get the most out of your Internet presence? Here's (http://boardroomtalks.com/list-of-things-every-business-owner-should-know-about-seo/) what.

PatprecisionE
25th November 2013, 10:48 AM
"Capitalise on the three most important aspects of any content page: page title, meta description and meta keywords"

Are meta keywords really one of the most important aspects of any content page? I saw a video where Matt Cutts said that meta keywords have zero value.

I'm fairly certain meta keywords haven't been at all beneficial for years now.

BeBizsmart
26th November 2013, 09:29 AM
"Capitalise on the three most important aspects of any content page: page title, meta description and meta keywords"

Are meta keywords really one of the most important aspects of any content page? I saw a video where Matt Cutts said that meta keywords have zero value.

I'm fairly certain meta keywords haven't been at all beneficial for years now.

Good point. The opinion about meta keywords is still divided - just as many issues surrounding SEO, as I'm certain you're aware. Google denounced their importance true. So have others like Yahoo! But Bing still finds them relevant, albeit as a spam signal. If your site uses the tag, but the keywords contained within it do not appear in your document, your site will be penalized. All in all, not as fundamental as they used to be. Now that needs some updating! In 2013, bet the 3 usual searchspects should be page title, meta description and authorship markup.Thanks

cjbarnaby
26th November 2013, 05:11 PM
This thread reads like marketing from an SEO company : P

The point of ranking high is something that we all wish to obtain although in reality you may never get there as you are competing against mega companies with huge budgets for SEO.

To keep it simple :

I would state emphatically that on page seo is simple and isn't a magickal shamanic formula for instant ranking. It is only one of the parts of a huge number of factors that are important for ranking if you are chasing rank.

After the latest Hummingbird algo release by google the detection of unnatural links and pages has made it clear that it's a lot smarter to keep it simple.

Keyword in title, keyword in meta desc and maybe a couple of images is a starting point. Learn what your LSI related keywords are and include that in the page for even more google juicyness.

Backlinking is highly important if you are chasing the google rank although that is a huge sport at best. There are a multitude of fairly inexpensive automated tools out there to get your site nicely backlinked although in the hands of the inexperienced they can also obliterate your sites rank in a blink as well.

Wiser methods it to ignore chasing google rank altogether and find other ways to market your online site. In time people will naturally link to your site and this will increase your rank.

Of course you can ignore all this if you are chasing the affiliate marketing dollar and want to rank at #1 in very little time but expect your site to only be a shooting star at best. Some people rely on that method of existence although in reality it is not a long term business method because of all the amount of work involved to make it work.

Cheers
Chris

SarahMiller01
28th November 2013, 01:48 PM
BeBizsmart, the information you just given is really true today. Everyday SEO is changing and the competencies incline day by day. Thanks for bringing this up.

bethw
29th November 2013, 01:21 PM
Building backlinks is a good SEO technique, but avoid linking to irrelevant and cheap sites. The number of backlinks your site has usually positively effect your site's search engine results page rank, but be careful, any bad link can make your site guilty, search engines may even penalize your site.

BeBizsmart
30th November 2013, 07:25 AM
So true. Low-quality links will no doubt hurt your SEO-efforts. Figuring out the number of 'unnatural links' or 'artificial' links is a laborious, tiresome endeavour. Third-party link data providers may fail to report some low-quality links, and Google too started deindexing a number of low quality domains. It may end up being a nightmare with several domains not even found in Google index.

The folks at Google have also updated their webmaster guidelines to include the likes of advertorials and other popular spammy linking techniques. In short, the best way to improve search rankings is through high-quality sites - not links.

tishacruzan
30th November 2013, 06:07 PM
Things to consider with search engine optimization:
1. Social Media Marketing
2. Link Building
3. Keyword Research
4. Your competition
5. Good quality content

PatprecisionE
2nd December 2013, 02:48 PM
This thread reads like marketing from an SEO company : P

The point of ranking high is something that we all wish to obtain although in reality you may never get there as you are competing against mega companies with huge budgets for SEO.

To keep it simple :

I would state emphatically that on page seo is simple and isn't a magickal shamanic formula for instant ranking. It is only one of the parts of a huge number of factors that are important for ranking if you are chasing rank.

After the latest Hummingbird algo release by google the detection of unnatural links and pages has made it clear that it's a lot smarter to keep it simple.

Keyword in title, keyword in meta desc and maybe a couple of images is a starting point. Learn what your LSI related keywords are and include that in the page for even more google juicyness.

Backlinking is highly important if you are chasing the google rank although that is a huge sport at best. There are a multitude of fairly inexpensive automated tools out there to get your site nicely backlinked although in the hands of the inexperienced they can also obliterate your sites rank in a blink as well.

Wiser methods it to ignore chasing google rank altogether and find other ways to market your online site. In time people will naturally link to your site and this will increase your rank.

Of course you can ignore all this if you are chasing the affiliate marketing dollar and want to rank at #1 in very little time but expect your site to only be a shooting star at best. Some people rely on that method of existence although in reality it is not a long term business method because of all the amount of work involved to make it work.

Cheers
Chris

I agree with alot of this. For instance, I agree that on-site SEO is not as difficult as you might think. But I disagree about the use of automated tools. I've never heard of a story with automated tools that ended well for the SEO.

torka
3rd December 2013, 09:52 AM
I agree with alot of this. For instance, I agree that on-site SEO is not as difficult as you might think. But I disagree about the use of automated tools. I've never heard of a story with automated tools that ended well for the SEO.

Well-said! The best SEO tool, no question, is the gray matter between your ears. While it might be possible to automate some of the info-gathering part of the process, the decision making, content creation and linking all should be hand-crafted for best results. (IMHO)

And, just to be clear, Hummingbird isn't about backlinks (that's Penguin) or content quality (that's Panda). It's a new algorithm affecting how Google selects the pages it displays in the search results. Hummingbird tries to take into account user intent (context of the query, previous search history, user's physical location, keyword synonyms, etc.) instead of simply focusing on the specific "keywords" they entered in the search query box.

--Torka :iratep:

RyanTC
5th December 2013, 04:11 PM
Tips every small business owner should take into consideration: As per indivly magic... in order to retain its search-engine ranking, a site should never be considered truly complete. Developers should continue adding content and improving SEO at all times, modifying the company’s strategy to adapt to new algorithm updates. Remember that some strategies may not make a significant change in search-engine ranking for weeks or months, so it’s important to have a continuing, yet flexible SEO strategy in place.

Survey Dave
5th December 2013, 05:32 PM
There is a lot of useful info here.