Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Measuring SEO Success

PatprecisionE
23rd September 2013, 07:23 AM
I'm continually seeing my organic traffic rising each month, which is great but I wonder if there's a better way I could be (or other ways I should be) measuring SEO success? I occasionally check on keyword rankings but are there any other essential metrics?

Kevin H
23rd September 2013, 08:49 AM
I would have thought that for most businesses SEO success would be based upon more business being achieved - whatever, however, that is judged.

Jen 100
23rd September 2013, 08:56 AM
I agree with Kevin. Other than more traffic being achieved you might look at your conversion rate.

nehadas87
24th September 2013, 01:57 AM
Be sure are you getting sufficient leads for your business ? If so then you are going in right way. Do more with your website and then your business will grow more.

uspackaging
25th September 2013, 08:46 AM
Traffic can help be a good measure as long as it is relevant qualified traffic. We keep an eye on that. We also keep an eye on rankings, they are not recommended for measuring success because they bounce around all the time, but good to look at occasionally.

As stated above, the best measure is what you do seo and marketing for: Conversions and Sales. Google analytics works great for conversion tracking.

We are in a business that we prefer to have more calls and quote requests (Larger Sales) than online conversions. Every week we track the amount of calls and quote requests we receive and compare to previous weeks. After a while with all the numbers added up you should begin to see trends that will help determine seo success.

SashaMike
25th September 2013, 11:28 AM
Is feeling "great" about more organic traffic or sales? if they both are increasing then its good to feel "great". If sales are 0 then useless to feel great.

charlieelectra
26th September 2013, 03:56 AM
There is a common misconception. People think that rising traffic is the best way to measure SEO success. Not just any traffic, but the product traffic is the key to SEO success. One should focus only on genuine traffic which can become your client and don't just return after watching your website.

VishalBhatt123
26th September 2013, 07:37 AM
Measure your Google Analytic that is the best way for getting the exact idea about your web site traffic and your keyword performance.

Murray Cowell
8th October 2013, 09:37 AM
Must say the same as some of the people here, traffic is your answer, and I assume you use any kind of measuring programs in this way.

All the best!

smithwebx
9th October 2013, 05:56 AM
However, there are three key performance indicators (KPIs) that should always be considered when measuring an SEO campaign's effectiveness:

Rankings
Traffic
Conversions

DeniseTaylor
9th October 2013, 09:07 AM
I would say the best metric is visitor behavior. If they love your site, love your info and tell others about you, you are in gold. If not, success could be fleeting. Google is placing so much emphasis on visitor behavior - and punishing for links/manipulation, etc., - focusing on the visitor is really where it's at.

PatprecisionE
9th October 2013, 02:39 PM
Ok, moving on from the first question:

I'm seeing organic traffic AND sales increase. I've also been able to quadruple the website's conversion rate through split testing and a few other site updates. And as traffic rises, that conversion rate has remained consistent (i.e. more sales).

How often would you update your list of keywords you target? For instance, are you always on the lookout for a keyword that is converting better, then writing content accordingly, or do those high conversion keywords remain fairly consistent?

Followup question for Sasha Mike- Is it good to feel great? Or Useless to feel great?

Logan
9th October 2013, 03:56 PM
Congratulations on your success.

Those high converting keywords are like gold. The ones you have found will often stay consistent. The variable is the competition. If all of sudden the competition drops the floor out of their prices or some other competitive factor changes then your site's conversion can change.

Looking out for additional keywords that convert well is something you always want to be thinking about. I often use www.hittail.com for keyword ideas. Mining your site's keyword data can lead you to find variations and other opportunities you may be able to improve. They aren't as frequent as when you started but you can ALWAYS continue to work on keywords and find more "golden nuggets" ... some times it leads to big things.

PatprecisionE
10th October 2013, 12:32 PM
Looking out for additional keywords that convert well is something you always want to be thinking about. I often use www.hittail.com for keyword ideas. Mining your site's keyword data can lead you to find variations and other opportunities you may be able to improve. They aren't as frequent as when you started but you can ALWAYS continue to work on keywords and find more "golden nuggets" ... some times it leads to big things.

Awesome stuff, Logan. Thanks!

One of my biggest frustrations is how many of my keywords are marked as "not provided". I'm missing so much conversion data.

I know there's some workarounds out there, but it's not quite perfect.

Logan
10th October 2013, 02:39 PM
It reminds me one area I mine for keywords is my site's own search queries. What keywords are people searching for once they get to my site can provide a lot of insight.

tigarianinc
11th October 2013, 05:33 AM
I did a post on my blog that is relevant to people interested in this discussion. Here’s a part of it…

Every year for at least 20 years now more money has been spent online in every business category than the year before as people worldwide turn to the Internet for their wants, needs and interests. Consider these eye-opening research facts:

61% of global Internet users research products online. (source: Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
44% of online shoppers begin by using a search engine. (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
60% of all organic clicks go to the top three organic search results. (MarketingSherpa, February 2007)
75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results. (MarketShareHitsLink.com, October 2010)

However, all this also means there’s a swamp of competition in almost every niche or industry online. Worse, the SEO rules seem to change every month, contradicting last month’s best practices. These are the core reasons why almost all online businesses seek effective search engine optimization for their websites, yet struggle to achieve meaningful results.

If you learn how to achieve it, consistently high rankings for the right keywords will steadily drive large numbers of interested visitors to your website or those of your clients every month. And if you play it right, you can also build a “herd”, as The Millionaire Maker Dan Kennedy calls it, of loyal repeat customers from this quality traffic.

An information overload of SEO tools and courses have come out lately, all claiming to teach how to search engine optimize for 2013 effectively – or even swearing to do it all for you work-free. How can we identify a genuinely top quality SEO system out of the sea of posers before us? Read the rest of this article to find out here: http://bit.ly/SEOsst1

fobusiness
11th October 2013, 09:02 PM
I'm continually seeing my organic traffic rising each month, which is great but I wonder if there's a better way I could be (or other ways I should be) measuring SEO success? I occasionally check on keyword rankings but are there any other essential metrics?

You can check webmaster tools by Google.
Click on Search Traffic on the left, then click on search queries.

It shows the average position per keyword (not exact) but a nice metric to check and work on those keywords that are just short of the first page.

PatprecisionE
14th October 2013, 02:33 PM
It reminds me one area I mine for keywords is my site's own search queries. What keywords are people searching for once they get to my site can provide a lot of insight.

Good point. I recently read that Google is going to make all of their keywords "(not provided)" in Google Analytics. Pretty frustrating.

EJKIV
16th October 2013, 11:54 AM
Very much agree with many of the posts... Look at what the SEO is doing for your bottom line. Ranking high for keywords that don't bring business is not really accomplishing much.

Matthew Anton
16th October 2013, 11:34 PM
Conversions are usually always the best metric, but it's very hard to track it unless you do this individually, i.e. I run a few service websites and if I want to see impact of an SEO campaign I'll monitor average traffic as well as signups a day, and compare it a month or two after my SEO blitz/campaign is done. Since not everything is worth tracking, and you are doing this on a consistent basis, watching keywords move in a positive direction is also a sign of a soon to be positive ROI if not already happening (assuming your keywords are a good fit).

thevags
17th October 2013, 06:54 AM
Are you experiencing difficulties with Google Analytics, customising your dashboards and widgets? I have found this experience by Jill Whalen CEO of High Rankings of great interest and I wish to share it with you.

borgninestallon
17th October 2013, 11:22 PM
If you would have implemented the Google analytic and Google webmaster you can analyze your website and find the metrics. Or else you can go for the paying SEO tools like Raven tools, Moz etc. A free trial for 1 month will be given, you can have a check over there.

BeBizsmart
20th October 2013, 10:46 AM
Allow me to throw in a couple of points. One way you can measure SEO success is through impressions (the amount of time you appear in the search engine results when someone looks up a particular keyword). Impressions ultimately result in more brand awareness, more chances of your website being shown. When you do effective SEO on your target keyword phrases and your website builds up authority, you will find that you get increased impressions for a whole bunch of different phrases. Google Webmaster tools can help you see the impression your site is getting.

Point #2. Google Webmaster tools will also help you monitor the clicks and check out which phrases are actually delivering traffic to your website. These are the ones that searches are finding really relevant for your business. So make sure again that clicks are on the rise based on the SEO that you are doing and then track those clicks all the way through conversion.

Point #3. We can't forget the actual conversion itself (can do this through Google Analytics) and Analytics allows you to track a particular URL on your website as being the destination goal URL. Check inside Google Analytics exactly what traffic sources are causing conversion and make sure that SEO is in the mix. If you find other interesting traffic sources in there that are causing conversions, you could perhaps look at bolstering them too.

PatprecisionE
21st October 2013, 07:52 AM
If you would have implemented the Google analytic and Google webmaster you can analyze your website and find the metrics. Or else you can go for the paying SEO tools like Raven tools, Moz etc. A free trial for 1 month will be given, you can have a check over there.

What would you say is the best paid SEO tool?

jaysh4922
5th January 2014, 11:29 PM
Yes SEO is changing rapidly. Nowadays it is not just about links. In my opinion people are still struggling to understand what Google want from us.

abhirampathak3
21st January 2014, 11:08 PM
Traffic is more important for website. If you want to see your website top position of search engine any way you have to get huge traffic to the website. you have to get quality back link from high PR relevant website.

Carrie Minton
6th February 2014, 11:35 AM
I agree with you in citing these 3 vital indicators in measuring SEO performance.

RosieGlover
19th March 2014, 02:30 AM
Google Analytics can help you to measure the growth of your business. Checking keyword ranking is also a good idea, but the success of your SEO depends on your goals.