Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Branching Out Into The Web Scene.

Lil Dee
1st September 2011, 03:10 PM
I would like to start a business, but i don't where i should begin. I just got my bsc in computing and info systems. While doing my degree, I have been told that I should go into web development as it was one of the modules I performed well. I would like to capitalize on this, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

daveb1
4th September 2011, 09:56 PM
A good way to think about starting a business is to think about what you are most passionate about in life and then try to build on something around that.

What are your favorite hobbies? What area of life do you have the most knowledge in?

BeTheBest
5th September 2011, 12:58 AM
Hi Lil Dee!

I agree that you must be passionate about what you do. If not, it quickly becomes 'just another job'.

Now, by your post, I am not sure if you're talking about starting an internet business or just doing the web development for others (for which you would probably need a website to do anyway).

Either way, I hate to break it to you, but the development side of it is just one small 'facet' of being online. In short, almost anyone can set up a basic website without any experience.

Now, I am not telling you this to upset you, but just to get you to focus on what you're looking to do.

Setting up a website requires:
- Good design
- Good clean code
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization
- Good content
- Clear writing
- Internet marketing strategies
- Use of E-Mail Auto Responders

And that's just part of the list.

So either way, these are things you need to consider besides doing something that you really have a passion for.

If I can help you more, just PM me. I would be happy to help!

Hope this post helps! Good luck!

Gary Barzel
5th September 2011, 08:16 AM
Hi Lil Dee!

I agree that you must be passionate about what you do. If not, it quickly becomes 'just another job'.

Now, by your post, I am not sure if you're talking about starting an internet business or just doing the web development for others (for which you would probably need a website to do anyway).

Either way, I hate to break it to you, but the development side of it is just one small 'facet' of being online. In short, almost anyone can set up a basic website without any experience.

Now, I am not telling you this to upset you, but just to get you to focus on what you're looking to do.

Setting up a website requires:
- Good design
- Good clean code
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization
- Good content
- Clear writing
- Internet marketing strategies
- Use of E-Mail Auto Responders

I agree there's a lot more to it then just developing a site. Once you find out what you're focus will b e on, you need to then find a niche that's not so populated and focus your efforts there, and then try to create a profitable service.

Lil Dee
9th October 2011, 07:05 PM
I agree there's a lot more to it then just developing a site. Once you find out what you're focus will b e on, you need to then find a niche that's not so populated and focus your efforts there, and then try to create a profitable service.

I understand what you all are saying. Anybody could just "cut & paste" a website. Finding that niche is the problem. In the mean time, I was thinking of volunteering in web development just to keep me from forgetting a few web development procedures. :p.

IsaacB
11th October 2011, 09:03 AM
sometimes great opportunities can be found be finding needs that can be filled, or simply fulfilling the needs in a better way. Since you seem to enjoy helping people, there may be.

in our supply and demand world the web If you can find way to fill a need, want, or even inkling better than others you can be very successful