Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Disadvantages / Advantages of Mac Computers

sofy60
27th February 2006, 12:01 PM
Mac computers

What are the disadvantages to having a mac these days.. besides that intel processor that is being added this year.

image Man
10th June 2006, 09:30 AM
No where near a much software and upgrades as a PC and cost alot more for the same power.

LBBMike
15th September 2006, 01:01 PM
not many. actually, with the move to intel, we should see the software barrier breaking as time goes on. boot camp already allows people to run windows. i don't know why anyone would, but that's my bias! :D

i've been on macs for years. i can do pretty much anything on my macs that others can do on pcs. the only exception is if you have an industry specific application that only runs on one platform. but that should change if apple continues to incorporate support for windows.

the best thing about macs is that they come with a lot of good software preinstalled, stuff you don't need to buy and most of it integrates with each other. and it works, too. apple has the advantage of creating both the hardware and software. it's a free for all with windows.

iphoto rules because you don't need to mess with installing drivers for your camera. you can produce your own promo videos with imovie and idvd. and publish it all with iweb. macs are the perfect tools for joining the media revolution.

apple also has awesome support, especially at the apple store. computers are complex and that means there's a good chance they will somehow break. i've been very pleased with how the apple store has handled my repair.

go over to apple.com and have a look at their current offerings. i say go apple all the way! :thumbsup:

Nathan House
18th September 2006, 09:10 PM
Image Man pretty much nailed this issue. Other then the fact that there isn't as much software/games for Mac, my main issue is upgrading them. I mean, if you see that new Ge-Force card at %50 off, tough luck, you can't install it.

LBBMike
2nd October 2006, 11:32 AM
Image Man pretty much nailed this issue. Other then the fact that there isn't as much software/games for Mac, my main issue is upgrading them. I mean, if you see that new Ge-Force card at %50 off, tough luck, you can't install it.

True, consumer Macs are not as 'upgradable' as consumer PCs, but Pro Macs are, like the MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro. The playing field is more level with the new Intel processors. It is just a matter of time (and a software update) until you can use more PC hardware and software in Mac configs.

To me, it all depends on the experience you want to have with your computer. In PC world, you are in constant fear of viruses, and the Windows OS is fundamentally flawed because of it's proprietary nature. Apple conducts frequent software updates to patch security flaws. And Mac OS is built on top of unix, which makes it thousands of times easier for Apple to update because of unix's ability to run on legacy systems with legacy software. Microsoft's code is no where near as flexible, which is the reason why Vista has been delayed so long.

Today Macs are very evolved, and continue to evolve rapidly. The features on my MacBook Pro exceed those found on a comparable SONY laptop. Just my opinion.

Ralph
2nd October 2006, 02:30 PM
I shifted to a Mac about 1-1/2 years ago after I was destroyed by a virus. That was the 2ed time that year and both times it was very time consuming and expensive getting restored.

We work with realtors and their software is windows based. The new processor will allow us to work more easily with them. We even have a client who just got a new Mac.

Transitioning to a Mac was easy. I have no desire to go back to a windows based machine

LBBMike
4th October 2006, 01:30 AM
Cheers for Breckenridge! :cheers:

Kletskous
24th October 2006, 03:08 PM
Hi, I am new here so my reply comes a bit late but I worked on a Mac for almost two years. It worked fine and I could do everything I needed to do. The biggest benefit for me was that I never caught spyware or virusses and that without any protection.

What I missed most was a good office application so I used Neo Office, which is Open Office for the Mac. The problem of that was that it was terribly slow.

Now I switched to Ubuntu Linux, a free and open source operating system and I am very happy with it. It has the same benefits as the Mac and now I can use Open Office. Ubuntu comes with loads of free software and many more available for free download.. It is also very user friendly. The only warning I must give is that it is important to look for hardware that is "Linux proof" because not all the hardware manufacturers supply the Linux drivers.

Lassard13
9th November 2006, 07:20 AM
Main advantage of Mac - is a great OS! Unfortunately WindowsXP and Vista look and work not so cool like MacOS

Main disadvantages:
Macs is overpriced and these are absolutely non-gaming computers (I mean using computer for home, not only for business)

LBBMike
28th February 2007, 01:50 PM
Main advantage of Mac - is a great OS! Unfortunately WindowsXP and Vista look and work not so cool like MacOS

Main disadvantages:
Macs is overpriced and these are absolutely non-gaming computers (I mean using computer for home, not only for business)

i disagree about macs being overpriced. now that they use Intel chips, they are about the same price, or even sometimes cheaper than pre-assembled PCs.

even when the price difference was a couple hundred dollars (before Intel), it was always worth it because Apple makes quality products and they use quality parts. their customer service is first class too: they don't have call centers in India and won't ever replace your defected computer with a refurb! ...i hope michael dell does not read this post...

StupidScript
28th February 2007, 06:52 PM
Macs used to have a distinct edge over most consumer-level PCs before they switched over to Intel processors, and that was the way the processors handled the complex issues found in things like manipulating graphics and multimedia files. Some PCs, like those from Sun Microsystems, still have the following benefit:

Macs' old Motorola processors and then their PowerPC processors used a data-handling method called "RISC" processing, an initialism for "Reduced Instruction Set Computing", that allows the processor to handle complex instructions differently than the far more common (and less expensive) "CISC" ("Complex Instruction Set Computing") processors, such as those made by Intel. RISC processors are still made for professional-level systems by companies such as Alpha and MIPS, among several others.

The RISC processors handled the intense mathematical instructions that make up things like applying filters in Photoshop or time-compressing a passage of digital audio very well when compared to a CISC-based system, and were a large part of Apple's success in the industries that specialize in that type of work. To compensate for the new Intel chips' limitations in this area, Macs now come with a lot more RAM than they used to, and several changes have been made to their "motherboards" so that the data can move around more quickly, somewhat masking the loss of the superior RISC processing method. The Intel chips, themselves, are much better at data processing than they used to be, which also helps minimize the perceived difference between the old and the new.

The thing is, many PCs employ the same modifications in their chip design and motherboard configuration, so in the absence of any real hardware problems, Macs and PCs are nearly identical in their performance of these complex processing tasks. Apple is counting on Mac's historical superiority in the Arts to maintain their edge, as the real-world differences between Macs and PCs is almost negligible, now.

I hear people who use Macs are happy with them for reasons like the "cool desktop" and the "neat programs" that come with them, but those are sprinkles on top. While I'm not a fan of Microsoft, it's a good bet that the distribution of and base horsepower required for Vista, along with Mac-like (and serious Linux-envy) visual changes are going to hurt Apple as people realize that romanticizing a tool (their computer) won't do them any good when the job gets done just as quickly with a lower-priced machine.

Lower-priced is on the order of a thousand dollars or so less for a comparably-equipped PC, BTW, not hundreds of dollars. I can still get a kick-butt PC for under a grand, but a Mac with the same features will run over two grand.

LBBMike
28th February 2007, 09:44 PM
good point on the RISC chips. that was an advantage for macs until ~2003, maybe 2004. Intel/AMD chips ultimately surpassed the Motorola PPC architecture in real world application speeds, so Apple was at a disadvantage for a few years. that's one reason why they transitioned to Intel.

the extra RAM has nothing to do with the chips - it's all OS. 10.4 min requirements are 512MB, PCC or Intel.

if you can build your own PC, then you could totally build one cheaper than the cost of a Mac. but if you go out on the market today, the Dells, the HPs and the Sonys are in the same price range as Apple - feature for feature.

i think the real advantage of Macs is that Apple builds both the hardware and the OS, which means they have . an example is how all their laptops have built in accelerometers that will tell your HD to move the head into safe position when it detects sudden falling movement.

i'm not sure i agree with your bet. Vista is not even really mature. the early adopters are having a lot of problems. buying Vista also means you can expect having to upgrade a lot of your software. gamers can't upgrade now either because very few games are supported. Mac OS X has the advantage here because it is built on top of unix, which makes major OS changes easier. also, Microsoft seems to be charging a more than handsome price for Vista. if you don't build your own and install something free, Vista alone increases the price of the computer over a Mac.

i don't know the prices for the bundled versions, but take a look at the stand-alone prices. Mac OS 10.4 is $129, a family pack that allows you to install it on 5 computers is $199. Vista ranges from $199 to $400 for a single installation. i think it's safe to say that people who buy a pre-made PC are paying more $ just for the OS.

edit: i addressed this message to a user on a different forum. text removed. :doh:

tinomac
28th February 2007, 10:10 PM
It's the same old argument that has been going on for over a decade: "Macs are better", "PCs have more software", "Windows is faster". Unfortunately, these are all very much incorrect ... and still today, hardcore geeks still like to defend their opinions by using these kinds of excuses.

Nowadays, hardware is hardware. There was a post above where someone stated or inferred that PCs and Macs almost have the same hardware now --- it's true. So who's to argue that Mac hardware or PC hardware is better or worse. These days, it all comes down to user experience and platform.

So the question is not 'which one is better', it's 'which one do you like?'. Just for the record, anyone who argues that PCs are better has been stuck in the PC world too long and probably has a long list of regurgitated arguements as to why their installation of Vista is totally-the-bomb, or how sweet their graphics is and how they can play Doom or Quake far better or faster than anyone in their chat room.

I would never trade anything for my Mac experience for any XP or Vista concoction. I really don't have the time to mess with Microsoft's poor excuse for a UI, or deal with the newest virus (thanks Norton).

But we should keep in mind, that these are only opinions ... and this is mine.
So which is better .. Mac or Windows? I say neither.

StupidScript
1st March 2007, 03:05 PM
I agree with LBBMike re: Vista ... just presented it for those who enjoy flashy, Linux/Mac-like interfaces.

I also agree with tinomac (Welcome to the forums!). It's all about what you enjoy using and can be productive with. It don't mean a thing if you can't use that .. um .. thing.:dunno:

For example, I am most at home in various Linux environments (virus-free, outrageously efficient, rock solid and fast as a cat). If any are interested, check out the newest Ubuntu release ... you'll see a lot to remind you of Mac and Vista, and almost everything you would need to use can be downloaded, if it isn't already installed. BTW, many Linux programs will run on OSX, so give it a try, Mac-folks. No Boot Camp required!

PS: RISC-based Macs used to come with far less RAM, ~40MB could do the job. But now (like PCs) they have to use more RAM to do the same work.

hank_freid
10th April 2008, 02:39 AM
Hi,
Approximately not any that I can believe of. You're locked into Apple's hardware for the computer itself, but that's more often than not a problem since Apple tends to make excellent stuff (although this has not always been the case). A few people dislike the conventional one-button mouse that comes with Macs, but that's really not an inherent disadvantage: Macs can work with any mouse, so you can get a multi button mouse if you favor.

In fact, Apple makes an enhanced mouse called the Mighty Mouse. Other "disadvantages" that are often talked about are generally bogus. Despite what ignorant Windows users will tell you, Mac software is plentiful and inexpensive. In addition, Macs can run Unix and Windows software, so this disadvantage no longer exists (if indeed it ever did). Also, some peripheral manufacturers are not great on Mac support, but most such peripherals will still work with Macs you just may need to find a third-party driver.
:welcome3:

Sporkman
10th April 2008, 08:23 AM
For example, I am most at home in various Linux environments (virus-free, outrageously efficient, rock solid and fast as a cat).

Don't forget free. :) Along with all the software you need for routine day-to-day stuff.

You know, it wasn't long ago that the probability of Linux getting mentioned in a Mac vs. PC thread was pretty much nil. :) It's nice to see that progress is being made, thanks to linux's usability & hardware support really improving lately.

Sporkman
10th April 2008, 08:25 AM
A few people dislike the conventional one-button mouse that comes with Macs

I heard one person on a discussion board liken it to wearing a mitten - gave me a chuckle. :)

In fact, if you just plug a regular cheapo PC-type mouse into a mac it'll recognize it & work just fine, even recognize the right button.

FHI Windows
10th April 2008, 03:22 PM
1. The people in their stores are smart.
A) They don't make up answers.
B) They don't hide.
C) They never ask you to buy, they are there to answer your questions.
D) From the time I said sell me A,B,C I was out the door in 3 minutes (no long lines).
E) No pressure to buy the extra warranties.
F) They have training classes.
G) You can set up appointments so you don't have to wait if they are busy.

Overall the Apple stores shine above any other "retail" store that I have ever shopped at.

If you are looking for deals, they have an online scratch and dent site. If you think you can get away with telling a white lie about being in college or a teacher they have a discount (for students and teachers).

franciszek
31st August 2009, 03:40 AM
Hi...
Well I am using Mac OS since 7 months and uptil I know that
Advantages of a Mac are.
-Very stable. Will not crash.
-Secure operating system.Viruses are essentially nonexistent.
-Easy to use and maintain -- everything "just works".
-BSD Unix under the hood.
-Lots of excellent software, including ports of many free Unix programs.
-Can run native Mac software, Unix software, and Windows software.

Disadvantages are:
-Hardware may be slightly more expensive. There's some debate on this point.
-A few peripherals don't support Macs. There are often workarounds for this, though, and in 20 years of using Macs, I've never found this to be a major issue.
-Some computer stores don't stock Mac software. But you can always get it by mail.

Tank
5th September 2011, 11:45 AM
Another situational disadvantage of a MAC is actually the reason that they run smoother than windows and linux pc's... this may sound wierd, but let me explain.

The way reason a mac performs smoothly is because it allocates a generous amount of recources for each bit of hardware it contains. This same amount of resources is always there, whether it ends up needing more or less.

This is where the disadvantages come from. A PC on the other hand only allocates the required amount of resources. This reserves resources for other devices that may, at one point, require a tremendous amount of resources to perform well, like gaming, CAD, or other processor or gpu intensive uses. This causes problems because pc's want to do everything as fast as possible, so when 2 or more different devices or programs fight over the resources they need and one of them don't get what it wants, it causes an error.

Game consoles on the other hand either dont multitask at all or are extremely terrible at it. This is because ALL of the consoles resources are given to one thing at a time. This is obviously why a game console (when fully utilized by a game) has so much better performance than even a PC when gaming.

In conclusion, which system to get should be determined by what you will use it for and/or price. If you just want to do simple things like surf the web, watch movies, chat, email or play simple or really old games, get a MAC. However, if you need to do anything processor/gpu intensive or if you just want your computer to be compatible with pretty much everything, get a PC with either Linux or Windows. No one should ever get a Macbook Air however... it is useless and WAAAY over priced!! The only feature it has is that it is very thin...

entrpnrbsns
22nd September 2011, 06:13 PM
The main disadvantage is that you will pay a lot more for a mac than you would for a pc with the same specs. For some people the design and simplicity of a mac is worth it, for some it is not. It all depends on your personal preference.

CodyLoco
23rd September 2011, 01:30 AM
Way to bring back a dead thread-

No reason to buy a Mac anymore unless you will be using it exclusively for high end video/photo editing, 3D work or architecture. Macs are sold for their hands-down superior stability - imagine if Microsoft could focus on developing support for a single hardware platform - the same chips in ALL PCs, you'd have a stellar product. The crutch with PCs is that hardware support is provided directly by the manufacturer in most cases and it's never quite as stable as it should be - but with that said - I still prefer a PC and I've worked design on Macs before.

If you just want to be "different" - load up a copy of the latest Ubuntu on your desktop - especially if you install the latest version of Gnome on it. Now we're talkin!

biz6s
18th July 2012, 03:13 AM
As a working IT tech, I get this question all the time and I won't takes sides in this debate, but over the years, I've come up with the best answer I can give to people considering the Mac/PC decision.

I always tell people that computers are still tools...tools to help you get stuff done. And the last thing you want to do is to be fighting your tools when you need to get something done. So do yourself a favor and look at what industry you're in and see what everyone else is using and then use that. Invariably, if you're going into the creative fields of printing, advertising, media creation, etc, you'll want a Mac because everyone else is your field will be using one. If you're going into finance, legal, distribution, etc. then you'll want to get a PC.

Don't make it hard on yourself...someday, you'll want to exchange files with others in your industry or you'll need to ask for help from someone you're doing business with or you'll need to run the same software as your customer, etc. so it's _easiest_ when you use the same computer as they do.

I wouldn't get hung up on specs or image or even ease of use or any of those old arguments. Just use what everyone else around you uses and your job will be easier.

jng
23rd July 2012, 07:55 PM
I think one of the most understated advantages of a Mac is that they're less virus prone, simply because Macs are such a small % of the market and not worth the effort. (Also possibly why people say they're more stable).

I own an iMac and it's been rock solid, personally, I hate it when after a year or so Windows machines get overwhelmed with spyware and junk.

BeBizsmart
29th May 2013, 04:24 AM
A Mac has way too little cases of malware as compared to a PC.It is also better at multi-tasking, memory management, and file system management than Windows(virtual memory included). A Mac is also more stable and doesn't experience the 'slow-down' common with Windows after doing more than just idling for a week.What's more?It can network quite well with your PC.This may sound biased but just being objective.This doesn't mean the Mac doesn't have its own disadvantages though.Overpricing not being the issue,it's not a wise choice for gamers.Recovering lost data becomes harder when your machine won't start,unless you have FireWire.
All in all,Macs and PCs have learned to co-exist over the years.One is popular with the masses while the other is a reserve of a niche group.Let's just say it all culminates to the user's needs and comparisons will rarely find a common ground.

Karry
4th July 2013, 01:24 AM
If you are in USA, you can easily get Apple support services whenever you face any tech issue with your Mac. But Like me, If you are in Asia, It is hard to contact a Apple support centers.

Mac is fantastic, No Doubt!! But it need to five more support to other geographic location customers.

But this is my personal opinion.**

CD2 Solutions
27th September 2013, 09:14 AM
Disadvantage wise, they still cost significantly more, and hey may lag behind in some areas. software compatibility wise, it depends on what you use. certain software may not be compatible with mac osx, or be worse on mac osx.

also, macs get praise for usability, but in m opinion, if you have spen your entire career using windows, suddenly switching to mac osx is going to be a jarring experience that will initially leave you very confused, much like switching windows versions and finding things have moved, but much more severe.

the increasing popularity of macs is also increasing their vulnerability to viruses and trojans. its main reason for not having viruses was its small market share, but as this increases, it will become more of a target - which will become a problem as mac osx actually has more security vulnerabilities out-of-the-box compared to windows.

advantage wise, you gain some stability (although a properly maintained computer with either os will rarely crash) because the os is designed specifically for the hardware.

also the support is said to be very good, although i have no experience of his personally.