Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : The URL Trouble

waynelapricon
2nd July 2010, 03:19 AM
I was hoping you could help me solve this problem with my URL.
One of my friends recently informed me that for a Googlebot, a URL with a slash at the end is different than without a slash. I find no difference in this when I look for backlinks in my backlink watch. I find the same results anyways. Also, I have a linkbuilding that is half with slash and half without.

So, Id like to know if this is true. And what are its consequences? How can I change them or prevent any harmful effects?

Thanks a lot for your time.

BeTheBest
4th July 2010, 09:59 PM
Not exactly sure of what you're talking about... but if it's the slash that appears after the domain name (like domain.com/ as opposed to just domain.com) don't worry about it. You're getting all bent out of shape for something that doesn't matter.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

derekmichael02
15th July 2010, 12:13 PM
Just standardize how you do it now and move on. It will be more trouble than it is worth to go back and try to update a whole bunch of links. Not optimal, but it will be OK!

musicworld1
16th July 2010, 02:01 AM
Okay, common mistake that's easy to resolve.

You uploaded the folder (indexhibitv070e/) thats contians the Indexhibit files rather then it's contents (ndxz-studio/, files/ and index.php)

You can move the above mentioned file and folders to your web root (which currently contains 404.shtml, cgi-bin/ and your indexhibitv070e/), and that should fix the problem.

cirklagirl
4th August 2010, 11:24 PM
I am not sure about the extra slash, but I have heard that you should use 301 directs to combine the www.yourdomain.com and the yourdomain.com if this makes sense.

Benivolent
9th August 2010, 01:52 AM
I think you have some canonization problem in your website.........

Social-Media
9th August 2010, 04:14 PM
I was hoping you could help me solve this problem with my URL.
One of my friends recently informed me that for a Googlebot, a URL with a slash at the end is different than without a slash. I find no difference in this when I look for backlinks in my backlink watch. I find the same results anyways. Also, I have a linkbuilding that is half with slash and half without.

So, Id like to know if this is true. And what are its consequences? How can I change them or prevent any harmful effects?

Thanks a lot for your time.

What you're descibing is a URL canonicalization (http://www.canonicalseo.com/url-canonicalization/) issue. Such issues lead to duplicate content and split page rank, both of which can affect your rankings.

Each URL on your site should have one and only one URL used to reference/render it called the canonical (or preferred URL). All other non-canonical URLs that can be used to render that same page should be 301 redirected to the canonical version of the URL.

If all of your URL should end in '/' this is quite easy to fix using 301 redirects. If only some should have the trailing slash but others should not then it becomes a little more difficult.

Assuming your hosted on an Apache web server, such canonicalization issues are usually fixed using Mod_Rewrite and .htaccess files.

Nutty
20th July 2016, 09:24 AM
This issue seems to pop up if you are running a website without a framework, we have just written a website and have noticed Google have counted for example comm-spec.com/contact as a page and comm-spec.com/contact/, we have removed the .php extension from files but it stills remains on directories

I have a question regarding this; do we force trailing slash sitewide or do we try and set up a re-direct to get rid of it?

This is the first time I have seen this issue and we have put it down to the fact we are not running a framework for this new website we have launched

Thanks
Simone

Nutty
20th July 2016, 09:29 AM
We have just tried a fix for this in our development environment, we have defined the directory index as index.php, and then turned on the re-write engine, then we removed the trailing slash from everything (except a directory), we forwarded all requests without an extension internally to have the extension .php

We will see if this works and let you know!

Nutty :)

Nutty
20th July 2016, 09:45 AM
We just did it like this and it seems to have solved the issue

##Remove .php extension from all pages##

DirectoryIndex index.php
RewriteEngine On

# If not a directory & file exists - remove trailing slash
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} \s(.+?)/+[?\s]
RewriteRule ^(.+?)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]

# If not a directory & file exists - remove extension