Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : New Content Hurt My Rankings

glaciergirl
29th June 2010, 12:53 PM
I hope someone who reads this can help me figure this out. :) I work for a real estate office and I recently added some nice content that was keyword rich, but not excessive. I wrote the content about two towns and town1 saw awesome improvements while town 2 saw very little improvements to the rankings and actually declined on an alarming number of keyword phrases.
It is true that town1 is the primary town on the site and we have links to it from a few places including the chamber of commerce. Town2 does not have links to it yet and we are not a member of the chamber for town2. I see why this would make town1 do really well, but I don't see why so many keyword phrases would actually decline in ranking. ANy thoughts? any help is greatly appreciated. THanks, Glaciergirl

oneplace
29th June 2010, 01:48 PM
Often when new content has been created and/or updated, the search engines see the difference and reduce that page's rankings because it's not relevant for the same phrases anymore. You'll have to wait a few weeks to a couple months to see increases in the rankings for town2 with new content.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it happen more often than anyone realizes.

in the meantime, focus on increasing keyword-relevant inbound links with keywords as the anchor text to that page to boost its relevance and authority.

glaciergirl
29th June 2010, 03:04 PM
Do you think that adding links to town2 and working on making it more important will decrease the rankings of town1? I wonder if there is a way to separate these towns for the search engine so they are both looked at individually and the imbalance of info isn't changing the ranks and importance of the other.

I imagine that since both towns are on the same website that when I amp up town2, town1 will suffer. Hmm.

aphexcmc
29th June 2010, 03:47 PM
There is a procedure in which to follow.
It starts with code in each page then the amount of key words and content.
Then also proper back-linking! Ps other sites can hurt your rank! You also
need the right combination of outbound links as well!

BeTheBest
29th June 2010, 04:00 PM
Have you verified that search engines have actually indexed the new page content?? That is, have you checked using the 'site:yourdomain.com' in the search box to see the date of the last cache?? Although you may have added the content a while ago, search may not have indexed it yet. Their cache may still be the old page.

Also, I agree with oneplace:
Often when new content has been created and/or updated, the search engines see the difference and reduce that page's rankings because it's not relevant for the same phrases anymore. You'll have to wait a few weeks to a couple months to see increases in the rankings for town2 with new content.

I know many times when I update content or 'tweek' page titles, etc., the effects take some time to actually happen.

One other issue... how many terms/phrases are you targeting per page? I try to limit them to 3 although they are usually pretty similar. Remember, if your title & meta description are not relevant to page content, then your search rank in organic search is going to fall.

I hope this helps!

Social-Media
29th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Adding new content (as in new pages) to a site will typically result in those new pages getting a temporary boost and be shown on page 1 for some period of time even though it "should not" legitimately rank there. Many call it the Google honeymoon. And a few days or weeks later, that URL will disappear deep into the SERPs where it should have naturally ranked all along.

But based on what you've described, you made changes to existing pages. Anytime you change an existing page you can see a temporary dip in rankings. You have to wait days, sometimes weeks before your rankings "settle down".

Did you change ANYTHING to do with the internal linking on the site (top navigation, footer links, left navigation, contextual links from other pages on the site to those two pages, link text used to link to the two pages in any of the aforementioned linking structures, etc)? If so this could also have an effect on your rankings.

Building new links to those pages with the targeted keyword phrases (as well as slight variations of those phrases) as the hyperlinked text will help their rankings. Inbound links (from other pages on the site as well as external sites) probably carries more weight than any other ranking factors.

Also if you changed the <title>, <h1>, <h2>s, on the page, you can cause sometimes large changes in rankings, especially if those pages had very few external links and were relying almost entirely on on-page and on-site factors to rank.

glaciergirl
29th June 2010, 05:10 PM
BeTheBest- THanks... google has for sure indexed the town1 page because I've been able to chart its dramatic rank changes. So, I checked the domain info and it looks like we are not indexing for town2, but are indexed for town1. No clue why google didn't check out the whole site when it crawled the town1 info.

AS far as terms/keyword phrases per page... I wrote about information in each area in regards to research about the area. THere was not a targeted keyword idea in each. I decidedly didn't inject a lot of keywords into this content, although there are various keyword phrases scattered throughout. And there is a paragraph where I talk about real estate types and opportunities in each sub-region where it is more keyword rich than the rest of the content.

BUt, in defense... I did this for both town1 and town2. Google loved my content for town1 (and of course it has the winning factor of reputable links into it)

SOcial MEdia-

I added content to existing pages and then added links from these pages to new pages with more detailed info relating to the original page. I also added new information to the right hand side bar. THe header tags and other titles stayed the same, but some new ones were added.

both pages for town1 and town2 are based almost entirely on on-page and on-site factors for ranking, however.
I did use keyword phrases in the hyperlinks for town1 but not town2 because I have yet to get links pointing to town2. And, as I mentioned before I do have external links to town1 but not town2.

THank you both for those insightful ideas about my dilemma. As I peruse this site's forums, my delight in joining this site magnifies! I am lovin' it. Glaciergirl

Logan
29th June 2010, 11:41 PM
It is good to hear you are finding the site helpful.

So, I checked the domain info and it looks like we are not indexing for town2, but are indexed for town1. No clue why google didn't check out the whole site when it crawled the town1 info.

Well, that explains why you aren't seeing any results for town2 yet. Just give it some time. Regarding why google didn't check out the whole site, that is just how search engines work. They don't spider your entire site every time they visit. Pages that are more popular (i.e. have external links going to them) may be spidered more frequently than other pages. Eventually they will update all, but it does go basically in order of link popularity.

I'd try to establish links from other sites directly to town2 page.

One factor not mentioned, are these towns the same size/popularity. For example when you search google for "town1" (using quotes) how many results are there versus "town2". The fewer the results (number of pages in google with that keyword) the easier it is going to rank for that keyword.

killersneakers
30th June 2010, 02:26 AM
One of the worst mistakes that novices make is trying to focus on a single word (like ‘books’) or phrase (like ‘real estate’), and attempt to build a website that will rank well. Extremely general terms such as these are very competitive, difficult for search engines to handle well (in terms of giving good results to searchers), and hardly worth the trouble in the first place.

Let’s imagine that, after spending hundreds of hours tweaking, perfecting, and promoting your site, you managed to get a #1 ranking for “real estate.” Unless you sell real estate of all kinds in every part of the world, a substantial amount of the traffic you’ll get will come from people who are looking for something you don’t have to offer.

Although you may not optimize your site for such keywords, it’s very important that you know what they are, as it applies to your site. As you work through this chapter, make a list of the 5-10 “major” keywords that describe your website. These should be mostly single words (like ‘homes’), with perhaps a couple of commonly-used phrases (like ‘real estate’) mixed in.

liquidroof
30th June 2010, 02:47 AM
Let us have a brainstorming session that how the content works?

When we launch a new website with fresh contents, after some time it is crawled by search engines. Now crawler based search engine will index the website in the following manner:

-will update the listings of websites with new website in the database
-will update each and every word in its dictionary

Now when a user will search for a query regarding any keyword, search engine will look up for all the websites having similar contents and will display the results relevant to searched keyword.

We can now conclude that content of the website is having the importance. The more you are relevant to the searched phrase the more chances you will have to have a better SERP.

Here lies a simple logic for searching the results via the search engines.

But now the question rises why we need to go for the off-page activities like Article submissions etc?

Hampers
30th June 2010, 07:25 AM
Links and off page strategies lend your site credibility and put it amongst a thematic cohort where it is viewed as one of the larger group, gaining a presence and authenticity.

I try not to tinker too much with established content, instead just add newer, quality content regularly.

glaciergirl
30th June 2010, 11:47 AM
LOgan - I am glad to hear you say that, which is what I kept telling my little boss but he kept saying that google would have crawled the entire site. I was like, no it didn't crawl it at all. THen I confirmed that yesterday with the site:domainsearch. (or whatever its called)

Yes, adding articles to link to town2 is on the roster of things to do. But my guess is that I will see sweet rankings before too long without it. (I still intend on getting some links into it)
Town1 is popular but smaller. In google, town1 gets 350,000 pages in the search and town2 gets 470,000 (so you are right again here where town1 has less sites linked to it and my rankings were thru the roof....well I guess waiting to see how town2 ranks will really tell this)

Killersneakers - I did a lot of keyword research for both towns and all the things I have written for SEO so far (which is funny because I'm becoming a pretty decent SEO after having zero experience and entering the scene of SEO/Content Writing 6 months ago.)
The original post about town1 doing well and town2 actually seeing decline in many keywords.... for town1 - we are talking about based on about 58 keyword phrases for town1, prior to the content addition, there were 9 keyword phrases that were on page 1 (top 10 - but all lower fold). The other rankings were between the 30's to as high as 150's for the most part. many were very high. Now I have 39 keyword phrases with ranks of 3 or better. I had phrases jump as many as 183 places in rank. Town1's results were pretty exciting.

JoshAk
1st July 2010, 01:09 PM
If the issue is with indexing there are a few things you can do to speed up the process.

1. The best option is to add links pointing to that page. when GoogleBot finds new links it follows them if it keeps running across new links to your page it will index it much faster.

2. XML sitemap, you can use a sitemap to let Google know you have new content this doesn't guarantee indexing, but if it is good unique content Google typically wants it in their index.

3. Pinging you can ping the search engines as well, this is typically done with blogs (it's built into Wordpress) so I haven't looked at in a while for static sites.

Also note adding links to town2 won't hurt the rankings of town1 unless you are removing links to town1 and directing them to town2.

Hope this helps,

Josh

celinar
5th July 2010, 02:27 PM
Sometimes its happen while you change your inner page content, but one thing remember don't change your title, description & keywords of your website, if you did than you surely loose your ranking

goldie.sachs
10th July 2010, 04:02 AM
New Content Hurts Rankings.

Of course it does.

It takes time for the robots to re-evaluate you.

Seems obvious.

musicworld1
16th July 2010, 01:56 AM
The exploitation of search engines today is a serious issue, but, like it or not, most businesses see it as something that must be done -- an online business imperative. To exploit a search engine, however, most organizations must exploit a search engine optimization company. In these arrangements, exploitation, or the gaining of something for nothing, becomes the central theme for interaction between client and SEO provider.

Thousands of SEO providers are now in business, and each ranking promiser is more famous than the next. For numerous of these service providers, quality is not an issue. What matters is making promises that beat the competition and win them the client. Faced with these enormous and often unreasonable pressures, ethical SEOs will withdraw from an optimization project. Unethical SEOs, however, will take on the project, saying, "No problem. I'll take care of it."

techmodi
17th November 2010, 05:33 AM
Let us have a brainstorming session that how the content works?

When we launch a new website with fresh contents, after some time it is crawled by search engines. Now crawler based search engine will index the website in the following manner:

-will update the listings of websites with new website in the database
-will update each and every word in its dictionary

Now when a user will search for a query regarding any keyword, search engine will look up for all the websites having similar contents and will display the results relevant to searched keyword.

We can now conclude that content of the website is having the importance. The more you are relevant to the searched phrase the more chances you will have to have a better SERP.

Here lies a simple logic for searching the results via the search engines.

But now the question rises why we need to go for the off-page activities like Article submissions etc?

I agree to the value of content you explained. Actually search engines like Google value a lot to content but content is not whole and sole. Hope you have gone through some of websites in SERP's where the website doesn’t have good content still they rank well because of good back links (may be earned through link exchange because content may not be good enough).

The back links from blog writing, article submission website, forum website all are valued by search engines like Google.

Apart form this, off page activities like article submission, forums discuss and blog writing are very important for traffic generation.

The content on the web page is no doubt an important factor but not everything. It could be the case that good ranking result for your keyword may not give as much traffic as you get through the off page activities like article submission, forum discussion, blog writing and more. So content is not the alone factor. :)