Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Products In Various Categories

Nutty
28th June 2010, 09:13 AM
Hola

I am working on my walkie talkie website this week and changing/updating categories for our users to make it easier for them to find what they need

We have for example
Motorola CM180 and on our wesbite we want that in two categories - base station and mobile conventional

Would it be the canonical tag that we use to inform Google about this as we do not want to be penalised for duplicate content?

Thanks

Simone

Logan
28th June 2010, 11:16 AM
Ideally there should be one page for the product and each category page would link to that. Can your programmer do that? :P

I'd stay away from having two pages with the same content, if for any other reason than you will have links going to both urls but only one would be considered within the search engines.

Nutty
28th June 2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah man! My programmer can do anything and you know it boy hehehe :P

There is one page for each product already but on the search results page where is shows a short description and a few products (top 12 in some cases) then the same products could be in two or more categories

:)

Social-Media
29th June 2010, 04:41 PM
I agree with Logan. You should have one product page with the complete product description and that page should be the one targeting the Motorola CM180 keyword phrase with a <title> something like "Motorola CM180 - Motorola CM180 Walkie-Talkie".

Ideally the description on the two category pages should be totally different from that of the product page. They should be a much shorter description yet unique. Don't just grab the first paragraph of the long description. Those two category pages should list the various makes/models in that category and link to the individual product pages at their canoical URL. The category pages should be targeting a totally different set of keyword phrases like "Base Station Walkie Talkies" and "Mobile Conventional Walkie Talkies".

You don't want something like:

/motorola/motorola-cm180/
/base-station/motorola-cm180/
/mobile-conventional/motorola-cm180/

where you have 3 versions of the CM180 product page.

Instead what you want is something like:

/motorola/motorola-cm180/
/base-station/
/mobile-conventional/

and have:

/base-station/
/mobile-conventional/

simply list all products in those categories and link to the individual product pages from the category pages.