Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Search Engine Optimization Tips

Pages : [1] 2

emarket
9th June 2010, 03:46 AM
These tips can work for you in your SEO tasks
1) Use Google AdWords' keyword tool to find the most popular keywords related to your website and your beat
2) Use key words and phrases in your HTML title tag
4) Switch from AP style to "SEO style" on references in body copy
5) Use keywords in your URLs whenever possible
6) Never publish the same article under two or more URLs on your site
7) Create standing pages as linkbait for popular ongoing stories and issues
8) Never retire or change page URLs without providing a 301 redirect
9) Use bit.ly or other URL shorteners that use 301 redirects and provide click stats when posting to Twitter
10) Link to other great, original content and invite other publishers to link to yours

ricky028
9th June 2010, 05:58 AM
These are really some good one.
8) Never retire or change page URLs without providing a 301 redirect
I think it is really vital. You never want to lose your search engine rankings for that particular page because of any such silly mistake.

naturalbeauty
11th June 2010, 01:24 AM
This might be able to help as well:

Here are some ways on how we do SEO.

1. URL Submission
2. Article Submission
3. Forum Posting
4. Blogging and Blog Commenting
5. Keyword Research, Keyword Analysis and Keyword Optimization
6. Basic Data Entry
7. Social Bookmarking and Social Media Marketing

MRchamps
11th June 2010, 05:54 AM
good stuff

emarket
11th June 2010, 09:05 AM
great tips people. keep them coming.

viper_one
12th June 2010, 11:25 AM
You should measure results and modify your works, so you don't sit there with fingers crossed, wishing and hoping. Try testing a project before you start because 'hits' might float away after they land, on your page (the other half of the battle). SEO requires an expense: one you must calculate.

DanWilliams
16th June 2010, 10:35 AM
Are backlinks really that important in the new google ?

Skyline
16th June 2010, 12:03 PM
I heard that using a bit.ly to shorten url's could take away value from a backlink. Although I have heard that links from Facebook and Twitter are not valuable in terms of SEO.?.

MIMarketingLab
16th June 2010, 02:32 PM
Very helpful SEO lists...Thanks emarket and naturalbeauty.

Mike

Eola
21st June 2010, 07:57 AM
Also it is necessary to find a good keyword tool which is able to give you an exact information... There are a lot of them, it is worth to try some and find your own. I prefer semrush for example.

jamesparker100
22nd June 2010, 05:01 AM
Fabulous Tips... Really helpful stuffed being shared here. I am amazed to see the tips that i was searching for the last several days
Thanks for sharing...

footprintsmusic
22nd June 2010, 02:13 PM
These tips can work for you in your SEO tasks

2) Use key words and phrases in your HTML title tag

I use Wordpress for my site. (I might post it in the "review my site" section) I have noticed that the link of my page is somehting like "http://mywebite/wordpress/page_id=123". I just noticed I can change the "page_id123" to something else....is this what you mean using key words in your HTML title tag? I'm going to say no....but thanks for getting me to rethink my link titles lol.

This site rocks!:thumbsup2

Social-Media
26th June 2010, 11:55 AM
Decent list for beginners. I would, however, say that instead of:

9) Use bit.ly or other URL shorteners that use 301 redirects and provide click stats when posting to Twitter

I would recommend when possible using the "real" URL to your page in your twitter post if the URL is keyword rich.

The problem with URLs on Twitter (like most social media/networking/bookmarking sites) is that they don't allow you to give your link proper link text. The URL itself is used as the link text.

So by using keyword rich URLs that point to the page directly, you at least get the keywords in the URL as part of the link text. You can see how this works if you ever look at the screen in Google Webmaster Tools where it shows the text they see in your inbound links. For sites, linking to you with http://www.example.com/keyword-rich-page-name.html as the link text (and the href) Google shows that link text as "http www example com keyword rich page name html". So they are eliminated punctuation and special characters before evaluating incoming link text. By using the full keyword rich URL as the link text (instead of shortened URLs) you at least get credit for "keyword rich page name" as part of the link text "http www example com keyword rich page name html" in the above example.

With shortners, you get a bunch of random characters as your link text that have ZERO keywords in them that you might be targeting. All shortened URLs that get 301 redirected do is pass a little PageRank/Link Juice to your URL. These shortened links are keyword agnostic and don't help your page rank for any particular keyword.

startupleads
27th June 2010, 10:57 AM
I use Wordpress for my site. (I might post it in the "review my site" section) I have noticed that the link of my page is somehting like "http://mywebite/wordpress/page_id=123". I just noticed I can change the "page_id123" to something else....is this what you mean using key words in your HTML title tag? I'm going to say no....but thanks for getting me to rethink my link titles lol.

You can change your permalink settings in Wordpress so that instead of showing post id in your URL you could show /category/postname/ for example. I do not use the hosted version of Wordpress, but the one that you install on your server, so I can't say if you can adjust your permalinks in the hosted version.

A few other good SEO tips:

1. Put important content in H1 tags
2. Have a blog on your site and post at least once a week. Content, content, content.
3. You must have a privacy policy and contact information on your site
4. Have a Facebook page, Twitter account and a LinkedIn page for your business! Social Media "weight" will soon be as important as links.

josaphlewis
30th June 2010, 02:54 AM
You need to evaluate and analyze your results and make important changes accordingly. Refrain from over optimizing, excessive usage of keywords, irrelevant usage of keywords, etc.

musicworld1
16th July 2010, 02:04 AM
Also check out the Avoiding SEO Brain Freeze series which provides a step-by-step approach to SEO.

oldbuddy
16th July 2010, 10:10 AM
I can't say if you can adjust your permalinks in the hosted version.

I use both, so I see what you mean. In the hosted version I didn't see anywhere to adjust permalinks, but they do default to /date/post-title

kenpol
23rd July 2010, 12:33 PM
back links first of all are very important. they show people and google that you are a productive company with good information.

As far as blog posting be sure to know that simply blog spamming shines a bad light on your business. be sure to post relevant information that actually adds to the post

- Ken

umerbcool
27th July 2010, 12:36 PM
These are good piece of advice. If you guys can provide with some more. Please.

Eola
30th July 2010, 12:43 PM
I don't like google tool... And i'm pretty sure that semrush is much better :) have you ever tried it..?

davidbkeegan
30th July 2010, 01:19 PM
Don't forget about writing a meta description that people will actually want to click on, while still having your targeted keywords in them

footprintsmusic
30th July 2010, 07:52 PM
back links first of all are very important. they show people and google that you are a productive company with good information.

As far as blog posting be sure to know that simply blog spamming shines a bad light on your business. be sure to post relevant information that actually adds to the post

- Ken

I don't have much expertise with backlinks but let me in a friendly way challenge this comment for one second :p :D :

I checked all of my primary competition's backlinks. They had many links that were of no value at all. Many of them (and I would say over half) were posts to sites that just had lists of links. One of my competitions backlinks were to a company that had the same name in a different country but a slightly related industry! (I'm in Canada and the links were US).

So I have to ask do back links really show a company's value of contributions to the web or just plain old milage? :)

cirklagirl
4th August 2010, 11:22 PM
I like Market Samurai (http://cirklasimplebusiness.com/wpblog/2010/08/got-keywords/) as a tool for keyword research. That's my favorite.:thumbsup2

Eola
9th August 2010, 05:32 AM
cirklagirl, why do you like Market Samurai more than other similar tools?

SEOArbiter
10th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Here are some on-page SEO tips for keywords:

# Focus on keywords that will convert versus informational keywords. In other words, you want to target the words or phrases that are getting customers to buy, rather than those that are simply doing research.
# If you are already utilizing Google® Adwords, track your conversion results. Only do SEO on keywords that are known to convert prospects into buyers. SEO is labor and time-intensive, so you don’t want to waste your effort on non-converting, or informational, keywords.
# Don’t target the obvious keywords. Those keywords are too competitive and will take longer to get better rankings.

RyanTC
8th September 2010, 11:14 PM
Effective SEO comes down to first picking the right keywords to optimize your website for...and then adjusting your on-page and off-page factors to reflect these keywords.

Ryan

evolMarketing
11th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Yes before you do anything, find the profitable keywords for your website and business. Than start your seo campaign on those following keywords.

How to find profitable keywords:

Use PPC - find which keywords are converting or are getting the most traffic
Use Google Keyword Tool
Spy Fu

Go after the low hanging fruit first, and the long tail keywords than work your way up.

techmodi
22nd October 2010, 08:12 AM

HTML title tag is simply a Title for the web page.

shoutPM
17th January 2011, 09:13 AM
This might be able to help as well:

Here are some ways on how we do SEO.

1. URL Submission
2. Article Submission
3. Forum Posting
4. Blogging and Blog Commenting
5. Keyword Research, Keyword Analysis and Keyword Optimization
6. Basic Data Entry
7. Social Bookmarking and Social Media Marketing

What does the Basic Data Entry involve?
Thanks

nikole
25th January 2011, 11:39 AM
Are backlinks really that important in the new google ?

I heard that using a bit.ly to shorten url's could take away value from a backlink. Although I have heard that links from Facebook and Twitter are not valuable in terms of SEO

Mike12
25th January 2011, 12:10 PM
SEO friendly URL's are also important. Accurately describe your content, add keywords when possible and clean up any nonsense or duplicate URLs that your content management system automatically creates.

sneha123
27th January 2011, 12:50 AM
Hello friends,,,I think, it is necessary to find a good keyword tool which is able to give you an exact information... There are a lot of them, it is worth to try some and find your own. I prefer semrush for example....Here are some ways on how we do SEO.........,URL Submission,Article Submission, Forum Posting,Blogging and Blog Commenting,Keyword Research, Keyword Analysis and Keyword Optimization Basic Data Entry, Social Bookmarking and Social Media Marketing,etc,,,,,,,,,

Webmaster Discussion Forum (http://awebsitedevelopment.com/forum) | vastu consultant in delhi (http://www.panditgopalsharma.com/)| Natural Therapy Treatment in delhi (http://www.caredelhi.com/) | Vastu (http://www.vaastunaresh.com/)

genius
27th January 2011, 02:23 AM
Nice tips and in addition I would like to add that for best result post your site link on page rank 5+ sites and famous social networking site.

roberttracz
31st January 2011, 11:44 PM
What ever keyword tools you are using you have to consider your keyword's relevance for it is so important..Keyword research is critical to your online success.

All those given tips were helpful however you have implement those with consistency. Simple ways can be very effective if you're doing those regularly..

tradeshowdesign
2nd February 2011, 09:18 AM
I heard that using a bit.ly to shorten url's could take away value from a backlink. Although I have heard that links from Facebook and Twitter are not valuable in terms of SEO

I've heard just the opposite about Facebook and Twitter, that they actually have a great SEO value. Where have you heard they are not important?

journeyoflife7
3rd February 2011, 09:55 PM
Nice Tips!

Here are some additional fast SEO tips to make money online!

1) Regular Interval Posting
2) Unique Content
3) Low Keyword Optimized(in title, 5-6% content, product link, tags)
4) 300-500 Word Per Article
5) Good Grammer Spelling
6) High PR Submission Site
7) Link Clusters

tradeshowdesign
11th February 2011, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know if Google penalizes for having too much text on a page?

alexandrabrian
21st February 2011, 05:28 AM
Very effective search engine optimization tips you have mention.Well the most important steps in SEO are:
1. Links
2.Content
3. Keywords

Try to use those relevant keywords that are related to your business niche,unique content should be there,well optimize keywords and internal links,search engine friendly URL, so that more users come to your site, and you will rank your site high in search engine.

jesicawillss
23rd February 2011, 05:06 AM
Never retire or change page URLs without providing a 301 redirect

Thats really a good tips. thanks.

smallbizmike
10th March 2011, 09:05 PM
Be sure to have a variety of backlink types (i.e. forum profiles, forum commenting, articles, blogs, social media, etc). Google will eventually catch on to backlinks of one type because it is unnatural. And should they ever, say, start de-valuing forum profiles, and that is all the backlinks you have to your site, you have a problem.