Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : #8 On Google Within An Hour, 8,100 Monthly Searches... Why No Views?

BrittMalka
20th April 2010, 12:49 PM
Yesterday, I did a bit of research about an affiliate product through Amazon. There are at least 8,100 monthly searches about that product, so I made a post about it, and within an hour, it showed up as #8 on Google.

Not bad, I thought, but today, 24 hours later, my article still hasn't got any views.

Are those figures from Google way out of line?

Or do people go directly to the real sales page, e.g. Amazon?

Have any of you experienced something like this?

BTW - I double checked at Scroogle and confirmed the #8 (was #4 on Google on my computer).

Logan
20th April 2010, 02:01 PM
It could be either of the scenarios you propose or a combination.

There are cases when the search numbers in google are not accurate. An example could be a webmaster who runs that query often to check their rankings. This results in a lot of queries without any searches that result in a click.

Additionally, consider if you have 8.100 estimated queries in a month that is only 270 per day. Of that maybe 10% (a very high estimate) may make it to your listing resulting in 20 to 30 per day. If the number is inflated with false data, that number will surely be lower.

Personally, before creating and optimizing a page I will run an adwords campaign with that exact keyword and distributed only on google to the United States to get a feel for the actual keyword activity. I use keyword research to determine which words to test in adwords, then after gauging the impressions and clicks for awhile I'll consider creating content and optimizing for that keyword further.

JoshAk
20th April 2010, 02:12 PM
The data that Google gives is "an estimate" if you look at the data that other tools from Google provide you'll find they don't ever match up. Also 8,100/month is not a lot when you boil it down, some will click on the sponsored listings (estimates vary but you can guess that unless there are no ads its a decent %) some won't click at all (they'll look then search again) and some will click the organic listings if your at #8 there is a good chance most are clicking higher ranked listings.

Other things such as title tags and Meta description can effect your CTR. If your site is verified with Webmaster Tools they have just started showing impressions for organic listings (again not 100% accurate) that might give you an idea as to whether or not anyone searched and just didn't click.

Also when you say views are you looking at your website's analytics or are you looking at affiliate commissions?

Thanks,

Josh

BrittMalka
21st April 2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks to both of you for suggestions. Nice tip about the AdWords-test.

Josh, when I wrote 0 views, it was based on the statistics that the site, I made the post on, provided.

It still has 0 views, but since I wrote my question here, my post has dropped to #56 according to Scroogle. :fryingpan1:

So maybe the first result (#8) was never real. I have to do more research about that.

jpopovic
27th April 2010, 01:03 PM
It can be very discouraging if you track statistics using such a short term window. I have been very guilty of this myself and only recently realized that I needed to stop.

It is always better to analyze those kind of metrics over a longer term window. If you were consistently at #8 for that term for an entire month, you would be in a better position to check stats.

Also, being #8 is a huge huge difference form being number 1. When was the last time you scrolled all the way to #8 for a search? I know I rarely do. I would focus on your SEO efforts, get a higher ranking, give it time and then evaluate metrics over a much longer time segment!

Best of luck

CashAdvance
27th April 2010, 03:10 PM
The reason why it is #4 on your computer is due to google's personalization tracking. Google's suggestions are not always accurate either.

BrittMalka
28th April 2010, 08:38 AM
Hi Jpopovic

It can be very discouraging if you track statistics using such a short term window. I have been very guilty of this myself and only recently realized that I needed to stop.

He, he, good advice, yes :)

It is always better to analyze those kind of metrics over a longer term window. If you were consistently at #8 for that term for an entire month, you would be in a better position to check stats.

Yes, that's true.

I made an experiment here, and I was so excited to see my post go directly to #8 that I forgot to reason.

Also, being #8 is a huge huge difference form being number 1. When was the last time you scrolled all the way to #8 for a search? I know I rarely do. I would focus on your SEO efforts, get a higher ranking, give it time and then evaluate metrics over a much longer time segment!

Best of luck

Thanks, yes, you're right :)

The first four spots are the best, although I often search further down myself, but I guess it depends on what I'm searching for.