Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Dynamic or Static Url, What to do?

JC1227
9th April 2010, 07:10 PM
My site currently has this type of url:
/topic?id=12345

I am thinking maybe I should change it to either:
/topic/12345.html
or
/topic/12345

I am more looking for a better user-friendly url structure than thinking from SEO perspective. It just feels like /topic/12345.html or /topic/12345 is more user-friendly.

Also, for /topic/12345, I can append page title keywords to the end, so, like /topic/12345/the_keywords, it seems this is even more user-friendly, since user sees what the page is about.

So, any thoughts on what's better among the three structures:
/topic?id=12345
/topic/12345.html
/topic/12345/the_keywords

Any helpful tips/advice much appreciated!

Logan
10th April 2010, 03:30 PM
I'd go with [/topic/12345/the_keywords] but keep two things in mind. First, use -dashes- versus _underscores_

Dashes are a non character while underscores are typically a character with search engines. If you want to see, search google for a dash- versus and underscore_

also with the keyword in the url, i think it is positive from the search engine algorithm side and from the usability side when people are looking at the serps ... but don't over do it. keep the keywords short versus it looking long and keyword spammy. In your case, just an option to add keyword/s to the url would be good.

JC1227
10th April 2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion above. I will make some changes and try it out.

I think it used to work very well to do SEO only for search engines, but these days, user-friendliness is just as important, because that's what the search engines want anyway, i.e., high quality content for users.

Tiggerito
13th April 2010, 11:00 AM
Even better would be to remove the id value AND file name:

/the-keywords

So much friendlier to people and search engines.