Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Which Keywords to Use?

Karen
1st October 2004, 06:41 PM
I've had my first look at the keywords that my site's visitors used to find my site. 18 out of 20 are phrases, instead of single words. Should I add those phrases? Or do I list single words only--and if so, should I make sure that ALL of those words are in my keyword list?
TIA,
Karen

Old Welsh Guy
1st October 2004, 07:50 PM
Hi karen,

when we talk about keywords, we do not mostly just mean individual words, but phrases. A couple of things here. If your checking your logs, then great, as that will tell you what people are finding you for. But you ideally need to find out what they are NOT finding you for, but finding other people for, as your site is not appearing in search for those phrases.

A typical web marketing /Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) campaign would run like this: -

Learn about the business
Research keywords using tools like this http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/
Examine existing site, or plan new site around these keywords, grouping the keywords into workable groups for per page.
Build site around keywords ensuring they appear in the page title and in the copy of the pages
Add extra pages to accommodate all the keywords found, ensuring they are built around useful information for the visitor
Ensure navigation structure is simple and easy to follow and uses keywords as anchor text where possible without sounding odd.
Develop site map linking to pages using the anchor text keywords for each page, also with a description of the page being visited.
Upload the site
add links from directories etc using keywords as anchor text where possible.

You say 'should I add them to my keywords' I am assuming here that you are talking about your keywords meta tag? If so that really does not do a lot for google, and simply adddingthe words to your keywords meta without them being in the title and the page copy is also not likely to do a lot of good.

I have probably raised more questions than I have answered here, so feel free to post any questions you might have. (apart from who taught me to spell and compose a sentence:) )

Karen
2nd October 2004, 10:26 AM
But you ideally need to find out what they are NOT finding you for, but finding other people for, as your site is not appearing in search for those phrases.
~~~~What a great point! I'm going to give this idea some serious thought.

A typical web marketing /Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) campaign would run like this: -

Learn about the business
Research keywords using tools like this http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/
~~~~This looks like a very useful site, thanks! I am going to go investigate it.

Examine existing site, or plan new site around these keywords, grouping the keywords into workable groups for per page.
~~~~Are you talking about metatag keywords or that each page should have it's own focus?

Build site around keywords ensuring they appear in the page title and in the copy of the pages
Add extra pages to accommodate all the keywords found, ensuring they are built around useful information for the visitor
Ensure navigation structure is simple and easy to follow and uses keywords as anchor text where possible without sounding odd.
~~~~So, the way to move around the site is through having your keywords be clickable links--is that what you are saying?

Develop site map linking to pages using the anchor text keywords for each page, also with a description of the page being visited.
~~~~On the site map page, your links to the different pages are your keywords, again?

Upload the site
add links from directories etc using keywords as anchor text where possible.

You say 'should I add them to my keywords' I am assuming here that you are talking about your keywords meta tag? If so that really does not do a lot for google, and simply adddingthe words to your keywords meta without them being in the title and the page copy is also not likely to do a lot of good.
~~~~Yes, metatags is what I was talking about. But you have pointed me in a better direction, I believe.

I have probably raised more questions than I have answered here, so feel free to post any questions you might have. (apart from who taught me to spell and compose a sentence:) )

OWG--Thanks so much for your help here! I hope you don't mind that I've taken you up on your offer of more questions!
Karen