Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Administrator and/or Founder on Business Card

iKwak
17th October 2005, 11:39 PM
For your business card, would you use Administrator, Owner, Founder,
or two of the above (Administrator/Founder)?

This is for your website business card. Thanks in advance.
I was more towards Administrator.

d4uAdmin
18th October 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi iKwak,

This depends on what your target audience will be that you are going to be giving the card to.

If it is going to be predominantly friends, I'd say go with "Site Administrator" it will give you a status boost among them.

If it will be to raise awareness about your site and get customers - use something like "Marketing Consultant".

Sometimes it is better to just put your "classified" on the card with your site's "slogan" and features and have your name there without any "title".

Personally I feel titles were created to boost the employee's self esteem more than for anything else. Go for something simple like this example:

w w w .D o w n l o a d 4 U . n e t
Where smart entrepreneurs go for
free software to run their business

Your Name

Along with your contact details etc.

I recently added some links to free Desktop Publishing software on my site. PagePlus has a few templates for business card designs and layouts. It might not hurt to have a look at it. It is simple to use.

Sorry... going a bit off topic there. I guess what I am trying to say is use your business card for it's true purpose - to market your business and provide contact details, not to stroke your self esteem.

Regards,
Chris

divshow
18th October 2005, 07:19 PM
On my business card magnets I use "President" as the title.

~ Lisa

brahmac
27th March 2006, 04:44 PM
I have designed many business cards (check sig for portfolio), many people do use "President". As do I.

Brian McClemens
1st April 2006, 08:42 AM
Another title I'm seeing more and more is "Principal". I'm not sure if it's appropriate for you, but it is cropping up more and more these days.

Cheers -

Brian

Yuya
21st October 2006, 04:55 PM
In designing my business card and logo-(I'm owner of a recruiting firm) I used the title:
Principal Recruiter

I was thinking of using president, account manager, just plain ole recruiter. But, I thought that President would sound too--'I AM THE OWNER'--that's not the impression I wanted to make to my clients, as they are all Senior level, but, may think that it was a bit "pretentious". I guess, I just do not want to intimidate the person I am speaking with, and "Principal" still denotes authority, but doesn't scare the person that you are dealing with., or put you "above" them.

I am acutally thinking about getting another set of business cards, specifically geared torwards those who are "label conscious" so to say. Those would state that I am "President" or "CEO"--something that would state "Hey, I'm the owner!"...some company executives only want to deal with the "top"--not with some lowly "Principal"--trust me, recruiting is wierd like that. Depends on who you are talking and selling to.

janice
21st October 2006, 07:51 PM
I see CEO or President a lot and think those are fine. When I see "Principal" on a card I always think of a sole-proprietor type of business. Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't want to convey that image.

d4uAdmin
21st October 2006, 11:29 PM
I see CEO or President a lot and think those are fine. When I see "Principal" on a card I always think of a sole-proprietor type of business. Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't want to convey that image.

Hi Janice... well since June... maybe I should change my mind...

Let's look at it this way... what is the purpose of your business card?
It could be any one of the following things:

1) To promote your business
2) To inform people of your role in the company
3) To impress the recipient (for the egotistical)

Now, getting back to the purpose of the business card... the question is what do you want to achieve?

If you are an entrepreneur or sole proprietor then your purpose is to promote your business. So have something on the business card that reads "like a classified ad" and says what you can do for the recipient. e.g. (and this is a bad example) a used car salesman would have the following on his business card:

XYZ Used Car Sales
We help you get "new" at a fraction of the price
Joe Smith
Vehicle Consultant

as you can see the business owner has "empowered" the salesman to a customer consultant and he gets the message across by telling the recipient of the card that he doesn't have to pay "new" prices for cars.

Now if this same consultant was trying to impress his friends he would have a card made like this:

XYZ Used Car Sales
Joe Smith
Senior Sales Manager

So the question is: If you were looking to buy a car who would you like to talk to: the "Vehicle Consultant" or the "Senior Sales Manager"?

If you were looking for information about the performance, durabliity or reliability of a car you would speak to the "Vehicle Consultant", but of you were looking for a better price on a car that you had already decided to buy you would want to speak to the "Senior Sales Manager".

I guess what I am trying to say here is: Who IS the / your target market of your business card,

Once you know who that is then go ahead and get the card designed accordingly.

If someone comes to visit me and his card says: "President" of a used car parts company... does that mean that he can arrange a better deal for my car's service? Not necessarily... the senior sales manager can.

Your business card is an advertisement for what you do you in your company and how you will be able to help the recipient... not a "title" egp trip.

So have your card designed accordingly.... in fact if you wish have two or more designed for each of your target markets.

Regards,