Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : SEO for every page?

jmjj215
15th September 2004, 11:10 AM
You can probably guess my question from the title.

My site's main purpose is to sell personal budgeting product. So naturally I would like to be highly optimized for that in the SEs. I've worked on optimizing my main page and I think I'll see some good results eventually.

My marketing pitch takes the person through six steps varying in topic, but all related to becoming financially secure:

1. Stop living paycheck to paycheck
2. Budgeting
3. Getting out of debt.
4. Establishing an emergency fund.
5. Investing for retirement.
6. Paying off the mortgage

The person would really come right into the middle of the pitch if they landed on any of these pages - but would it still be useful to optimize keyword phrases for each one of them and send them there anyway?

A side-bar to the site is the fact that I write lots of articles related to these 6 categories, but more specific. For example, I wrote about 401ks this morning so it applies to step 5. Should I optimize each of these articles to their own keyword phrases? Each page can easily access the products/marketing pages.

If your answers are that I should, then I guess I have a LOT of work cut out for me. Every article I write would need to be optimized...woah.

StupidScript
15th September 2004, 11:39 AM
While it is very good idea to optimize every page for something, it might not be necessary to rewrite all of your articles to accomplish that goal.

Perhaps you might write "introductions" or "executive summaries" that would precede the article content, and could be optimized?

The most important stuff to optimize are near the top of your page, where the spiders can slurp it without having to wade through the whole thing. Some spiders don't even bother with the whole thing, limiting themselves to the first 5000 characters or so.

As long as the flow to the purchase process is clearly defined and available from each page, it should not be a problem to drop into the middle of the pitch, as you describe. It's a challenge to write the pitch so it has momentum in that case, but the visitor will be amidst valuable content which has its own way of influencing their purchase decision.

David Wallace
15th September 2004, 12:08 PM
The more pages on your site that you have optimized, the better visibility you may gain. That doesn't mean you have to go through this extensive "rewriting" of all your pages but it means to make sure each page has unique title and meta description tags that are related to the content of the page and good content.

The Arizona Builders' Zone (http://www.builderszone.com/), a site that I own, is a good example of a site in which every single page is optimized and we get tons of search engine traffic from a large variety of search terms.

jmjj215
15th September 2004, 08:49 PM
I will begin tomorrow with updating titles and descriptions/keywords for each page. I will also choose a keyword phrase or two for each page and rework my articles slightly so as to promote that phrase. At first I was considering doing Keyword competitive analysis for each phrase but I don't think that'll be worth it. Just a few pretty specific phrases ought to do the trick. My goal is to write two quality articles a week, hopefully this will add value for users, increase organic SE exposure and maybe by running adsense on those article pages I can pay for my adwords campaigns. Thanks for the tips!

thejenn
1st October 2004, 05:14 PM
At first I was considering doing Keyword competitive analysis for each phrase but I don't think that'll be worth it.

Don't be too hasty to shrug off keyword research and competitive analysis. Even just spending an hour in Wordtracker can lead to tons of good information.

For instance, when I used to write for About.com, I'd take about a day each month and head off to Wordtracker to research a specific theme. (Recipe search, music search, shopping search, etc...) I'd then go through and pick out some phrases that got great search traffic and had reasonable levels of competitors. I'd compile my findings into a list.

If there were phrases on the list that I'd written articles about, I'd go back and rework them slightly so that they'd rank well for the phrase. If I didn't have any content on the phrases that were highly searched, I'd file that as a future article idea. Then, the next time I needed to write something but didn't know quite what to write, I could look at my list and say "hey, lyric search type phrases are highly searched and not very competitive, I'd better do some research and write an article on that." It really helped me shape the future of content on the site.

Also, keep in mind when building links that you want to build relevant deep links. In other words, if you've got a great article on 401Ks, see if you can get folks to link straight to it, intead of just to your front page. Building deep links to the content throughout your site can help you far more than just trying to get everyone to link to your front page.