Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Virus On My Website!!

lenzcrafter
2nd May 2009, 04:48 PM
Now up until recently my site www.aandmschoolofmotoring.com had been ranking highly (top half of 1st page of google) for the keywords Driving schools in Bristol and Driving lessons in Bristol etc. One day i check my sites position and find that i have dropped/fallen off of Google!!!

How can this be?

Well we then figured out that my site had been "Hacked" someone or something had injected nasty script into my site via the server, the particular virus was a JS downloader!!! (dont actually know what this is!)

So two questions....1) is this going to become a Black mark against me forever with Google? and 2) what the heck did the virus actually achieve?

All help is much appreciated.

Regards

Matt.

ktaylor310
4th May 2009, 06:02 PM
I did a search at Google Webmaster Tools (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/sitestatus) and the results say that your site is in their index, so I don't know if filing for a reinclusion will help, but I read this on the google support forum:

...I'm glad we were able to notify you of the hack and that you took action to fix your site. If the hacking may have caused your site to be in violation of the webmaster guidelines, it's always a good idea to let us know once you've cleaned things up via a reconsideration request if you haven't already.

acwebguru
5th May 2009, 11:51 PM
First you have to ensure the fact that your website is being restored completely. After that you can request via Google analytic. I think they will fix the problem sooner or later.

lenzcrafter
6th May 2009, 01:20 PM
Thank you alour help, I asked for a reinclusion and bam there i was back on the 1st page!! Yippe!

ktaylor310
6th May 2009, 07:32 PM
:abovehead Yippeee!

Blog post on how a site can be infected via Adobe Acrobat Reader http://www.pieter-arntz.info/wordpressblog/?p=109

stephen186
7th May 2009, 05:06 AM
Well, that's good to hear that you again got your rankings.

But how did you remote that virus? I am very much interested to know did you do anything for that virus issue.?

lenzcrafter
7th May 2009, 10:03 AM
Stephen

To be honest i dont know how...because i dont really dealw with that side of my business, its my sister and her husband who dealt with that. But as far as i know they literally removed the "nasty" script and then we changed hosting package from windows home to Linux???!!! I hope you know what im on about because its all a bit forgien to me too. But then we re submitted to google and explained what had happened and kazam there we were, back on the top of google.

I am now trying to add external links so that the site gets stronger, ie blogging as much as i can and doing some careful link exchanges etc.

All is good! :thumbsup2

ktaylor310
19th May 2009, 03:55 PM
Recent information on the virus/adobe injection can be read here:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/165108/web_attack_that_poisons_google_results_gets_worse. html