Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Need Your Opinions On Making A NEW Website ?

roof cleaning
27th April 2009, 02:28 AM
My website www.saferoofcleaning.com was dated when I made it myself 10 years ago :argh:
It is a webspawner site :fryingpan1:
However- it places REAL high is a Google Roof Cleaning Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=roof+cleaning+&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA_en)
It is currently number 3 in my search area.
I was THINKING of replacing it with a Blog Style Site like Joomla - Wordpress or maybe even Blogspot ?
IS it the URL of a site that determines the ranking ?
I guess what I am TRYING to say is I dont want to HURT myself search engine wise ?

My ANTIQUE web site is HURTING me against nicer sites of my competitors :argh:

WHAT to Do ???

ktaylor310
27th April 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi there! I'm from St. Pete/Cape Coral - now in Colorado Springs where it is STILL snowing!

Actually for "roof cleaning Tampa Florida" you are number #1 on Google so you need to proceed carefully! This is when the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes into play. You are not ranked for your url, you have good rankings because of (1) the text on your home page and (2) because Google trusts your site since it has been around for so long.

The site definitely needs updating, but I would recommend you give the home page a face lift without making any major changes to the text. Changes to the text need to be made slowly. Can you not just leave the site where it is and redesign it?

roof cleaning
27th April 2009, 06:19 PM
Hi there! I'm from St. Pete/Cape Coral - now in Colorado Springs where it is STILL snowing!

Actually for "roof cleaning Tampa Florida" you are number #1 on Google so you need to proceed carefully! This is when the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes into play. You are not ranked for your url, you have good rankings because of (1) the text on your home page and (2) because Google trusts your site since it has been around for so long.

The site definitely needs updating, but I would recommend you give the home page a face lift without making any major changes to the text. Changes to the text need to be made slowly. Can you not just leave the site where it is and redesign it?
LOL NO it is a webspawner site :argh:
WHAT if I switched the same text to a Joomla Blog etc ?
I would make my pages the same text wise - just want a more modern lookinng page ?

GWTofTN
27th April 2009, 11:22 PM
I am using blogspot for my blog and after only a few hours the post hit the front page. Thanks to you and Pingomatic

GWTofTN
27th April 2009, 11:22 PM
Oh and I fixed my signature.

ted bailey
28th April 2009, 08:36 AM
Avoid major changes, I would just go into very slow and make changes over time. This will help in your optimizing becuase the search engines will see you are gradually updating and making changes to your site, which is good.

roof cleaning
28th April 2009, 09:57 AM
Avoid major changes, I would just go into very slow and make changes over time. This will help in your optimizing becuase the search engines will see you are gradually updating and making changes to your site, which is good.
I dont understand what you are saying ?
My plan was to make a new website using the same pages/text from the old one in a Joomla/Blogspot/Wordpress form.
I havent decided on what one to use yet?
I may just make a website instead ?
The Webspawner format is very dated.

radiogirl
28th April 2009, 10:31 AM
You can change the website to the new look you want on your new platform. As long as you keep most of the text the same to start and then make changes to that to improve your conversions once you've done the redesign.

Personally, I would go with Wordpress as the platform.

roof cleaning
28th April 2009, 11:31 AM
WHY Wordpress ?
I thought Joomla was better ?
What about Blogspot ?

radiogirl
28th April 2009, 12:01 PM
Joomla was a bit too difficult for me to work around in easily. I hear it's a more robust system, but I haven't been able to justify the time it would take to learn how to use it just right.

It really is a personal preference...

I appreciate that Wordpress has so many free tutorials and resources so I can get to work fast without having to worry about my knowledge base not being adequate for the job at hand...and when I get in over my head I know at least three people with expertise that I can turn to for help.

I'm sure I could find the same for Joomla...but that would mean taking the time.

Blogspot...I wouldn't consider...not enough functionality for what I (and most of my clients) need. I did once write a book on using Blogger...but it was geared towards IM, not towards offline businesses that need a good web presence.

roof cleaning
28th April 2009, 12:33 PM
Joomla was a bit too difficult for me to work around in easily. I hear it's a more robust system, but I haven't been able to justify the time it would take to learn how to use it just right.

It really is a personal preference...

I appreciate that Wordpress has so many free tutorials and resources so I can get to work fast without having to worry about my knowledge base not being adequate for the job at hand...and when I get in over my head I know at least three people with expertise that I can turn to for help.

I'm sure I could find the same for Joomla...but that would mean taking the time.

Blogspot...I wouldn't consider...not enough functionality for what I (and most of my clients) need. I did once write a book on using Blogger...but it was geared towards IM, not towards offline businesses that need a good web presence.
Wordpress may be all I need ?
I know there are several SEO optimized Wordpress Templates.
Would you just host it on Wordpress itself with a 301 redirect from saferoofcleaning.com pointing to the wordpress domain ?
I know Blogspot allows me to have my own domain and they host it w/o ads.
I want to get into my new website easily to update it.

Maybe I shoud go make a wordpress blog using the text of my existing web site as pages ?
Then - can I point the existing domain to my new wordpress site ?
And if I do Patricia - what do I do with the OLD website ?

It is paid for for 5 years :fryingpan1:

Oh - WHAT Wordpress Template do you suggest for SEO and looks ?

Is there a free one that is any good ?

radiogirl
28th April 2009, 02:05 PM
I'd use the self-hosting Wordpress option rather than hosting at WP. More control over your content and better options with the plug ins than the choices that do work on their hosting. I pay $10 a month for my hosting (several sites of my own and couple of my clients).

You can make your site look whatever way you want with the WP platform. Most of the sites I've done for myself and clients lately have been on WP. They do not have to look Bloggy.

As for recommendations...I really like the Revolution & Thesis themes. Those are premium themes and they do cost a bit. There are some great free themes too, but it takes a while to find one you love and then make the tweaks you need to it. If you have the budget for it, I would just hire someone to customize a template for you. If you're doing it yourself, then you will need some knowledge of css and html to do the customization yourself. Takes a bit of work, but it isn't that hard. There are tons of tutorials and resources if you do get stuck.

And yes, I'd use the same content on the new site, just alter the platform and the look.

Unfortunately, the five year payment will more than likely be lost (depends on the agreement and all) but you'll likely more than make up for it in additional conversions through a better looking site.

MooMan
28th April 2009, 03:24 PM
You can keep the site and bolt a blog onto the back end or use Joomla. I wouldn't get rid of the existing pages though as that would be a big mistake and there is no reason to remove them, just redesign the site, then paste the content onto the pages.

roof cleaning
28th April 2009, 03:52 PM
You can keep the site and bolt a blog onto the back end or use Joomla. I wouldn't get rid of the existing pages though as that would be a big mistake and there is no reason to remove them, just redesign the site, then paste the content onto the pages.
With Webspawner you are limited with redesign because it is a template driven web system.
I want a NEW modern design site to appear when saferoofcleaning.com is accessed.

ompundit
28th April 2009, 05:37 PM
I feel bad for you because your in a tough situation. First and foremost, you need to keep that domain! I agree WP is probably going to be your best solution for a CMS, as stated earlier Joomla, Mambo, Dupal, etc... are more sophisticated, and more complicated. For what you want to do WP would work great.

As for the theme, most themes don't have a great deal to do with SEO, just make sure to find find one that is build on the DEFAULT coding and placement. The real SEO stuff comes from content, the add-ons, and your backend set-up. there are some very nice modules to enhance your SEO and to do many jobs like creating and submitting XML sitemaps that would already be a good step in right direction.

I also agree about taking it slow, but in a different way. You DO NOT want to do anything that might mess up your rankings. I would go slow and plan out every detail and step. In fact what I would probably do is create a sub-domain or buy a cheap new domain, slap WP on it, get it set-up how you want, move your content over, then pour over it checking everything, is your url structure the same, how are you going to handle redirects if any, all title and meat tags in place, everything!! Then when it's perfect export the site and DB out, and upload in place of your old site. Don't forget to put a robot.txt file in place to keep your dev site from being spidered

Space Ghost
29th April 2009, 12:17 AM
roof cleaning,

I also have used Webspawner and those guys have been around for years (since the mid-90's I think) and host several million user pages, so part of the reason that your site is listing so high in Google results is due to its association with the Webspawner.com domain.

The problem with redesigning your site entirely or moving your site to another provider is that Google will look at it entirely differently and your favorable positioning in the result listings will drop! This happened to me a couple of years ago... I tried another newer web design provider and redirected my domain to the new site and suddenly I was nowhere to be found in Google OR Yahoo. After a couple of weeks of NO site activity, I redirected my domain back to the old site at WebSpawner and my positioning soon returned and customer traffic followed.

I looked at your site and it appears that you are using the most simplistic template that Webspawner offers. You may want to try just modifying your site and choosing another template (I think Webspawner calls them "layouts") as some of their other templates are nicer looking than the one you are using. In this way, you can update the look of your site without losing your great Google spot.

roof cleaning
29th April 2009, 02:14 AM
roof cleaning,

I also have used Webspawner and those guys have been around for years (since the mid-90's I think) and host several million user pages, so part of the reason that your site is listing so high in Google results is due to its association with the Webspawner.com domain.

The problem with redesigning your site entirely or moving your site to another provider is that Google will look at it entirely differently and your favorable positioning in the result listings will drop! This happened to me a couple of years ago... I tried another newer web design provider and redirected my domain to the new site and suddenly I was nowhere to be found in Google OR Yahoo. After a couple of weeks of NO site activity, I redirected my domain back to the old site at WebSpawner and my positioning soon returned and customer traffic followed.

I looked at your site and it appears that you are using the most simplistic template that Webspawner offers. You may want to try just modifying your site and choosing another template (I think Webspawner calls them "layouts") as some of their other templates are nicer looking than the one you are using. In this way, you can update the look of your site without losing your great Google spot.
I re did it :thumbsup2
I think it looks a little better ?
Maybe you are right ?
Leave well enough alone ?
This site is page rank 4 :thumbsup2
Number 3 Google nationally and number one in my local market.
HATE to lose all that ?

radiogirl
29th April 2009, 08:13 AM
You won't lose it. If you're up there your site is being crawled. Search engines like fresh content (as long as it remains relevant to the searches) so doing a revamp to freshen up the look is not likely going to cost you.

roof cleaning
29th April 2009, 08:40 AM
You won't lose it. If you're up there your site is being crawled. Search engines like fresh content (as long as it remains relevant to the searches) so doing a revamp to freshen up the look is not likely going to cost you.
Particia - I re did the site using a different webspawner template.
Looks a little better think ?

GWTofTN
29th April 2009, 09:55 PM
When I pull it up now it is only about 6" wide right down the center of the monitor. About 3" of orange on either side of the text.

Can you do anything with that?

roof cleaning
29th April 2009, 11:19 PM
When I pull it up now it is only about 6" wide right down the center of the monitor. About 3" of orange on either side of the text.

Can you do anything with that?
Nope :argh:
Webspawner has been GOOD to me.
They are extremely nice people, and got me started on the Internet.
They have a very reasonably priced product that serves many people well.
I JUST got an email from Art Connor - the PRESIDENT of Webspawner himself.
They have a NEW system they are testing and he offered it to me :thumbsup2
Think I am gonna take him UP on his offer :)

GWTofTN
30th April 2009, 10:42 PM
Couldn't hurt to look at it.

roof cleaning
30th April 2009, 10:50 PM
Couldn't hurt to look at it.
Yeah Pat - I would like to stay on the Webspawner Server and all.
My site ranks real high - don't want to screw myself up ?

janicejan
3rd May 2009, 05:25 AM
I dont understand what you are saying ?
My plan was to make a new website using the same pages/text from the old one in a Joomla/Blogspot/Wordpress form.
I havent decided on what one to use yet?
I may just make a website instead ?
The Webspawner format is very dated.

if you are planning to create a new website using the same text, then you might violate google's rule of "duplicate content"..

roof cleaning
3rd May 2009, 06:15 AM
if you are planning to create a new website using the same text, then you might violate google's rule of "duplicate content"..
I would be getting rid of the old one and switching to the new.

mattcarpet
3rd May 2009, 11:31 AM
A major change will drop you even if all the content stays the same the suggestion of minor changes over time isn't a bad one in the least but the only way to change over to a wordpress style website would be to make a major change...you will eventually reclaim your ranking if your content isn't changed though so it may be best to take the hit now in order to convert more visitors later.

With that said even though you should reclaim the ranking you have now at a later date by keeping the content the same, there is no way to guarantee you will reclaim it. So it is risky, it all depends on whether or not you think your current site will continue to convert visitors in the future.

I personally would risk it but only if you could do it all in a single day so as to never have a real "down time." You don't want google to crawl your site while your changing things and see a bunch of missing content.

mattcarpet
3rd May 2009, 11:32 AM
oh and your not in any danger of duplicate content by switching over old to new...I mean honestly how could you be?

roof cleaning
3rd May 2009, 11:41 AM
A major change will drop you even if all the content stays the same the suggestion of minor changes over time isn't a bad one in the least but the only way to change over to a wordpress style website would be to make a major change...you will eventually reclaim your ranking if your content isn't changed though so it may be best to take the hit now in order to convert more visitors later.

With that said even though you should reclaim the ranking you have now at a later date by keeping the content the same, there is no way to guarantee you will reclaim it. So it is risky, it all depends on whether or not you think your current site will continue to convert visitors in the future.

I personally would risk it but only if you could do it all in a single day so as to never have a real "down time." You don't want google to crawl your site while your changing things and see a bunch of missing content.
Webspawner contacted me and offered a a new web site builder system to me .
I presume I will Stay on their server so the server would be the same.
I am in an ULTRA competitive trade and can not afford a drop in search results !

ktaylor310
4th May 2009, 05:49 PM
I think you'd be fine as long as you install Wordpress onto your server (as opposed to setting up an account on Wordpress) and use the same text. I also have not had any exposure to Joomla, but can vouch for Wordpress. Easy install, easy plug-in installation and lots of documentation.

roof cleaning
17th December 2009, 11:42 AM
I think you'd be fine as long as you install Wordpress onto your server (as opposed to setting up an account on Wordpress) and use the same text. I also have not had any exposure to Joomla, but can vouch for Wordpress. Easy install, easy plug-in installation and lots of documentation.
Thanks for your answer.
Actually, I am thinking about just using a Blogspot Google Blog as a new website.
They are free, easy to use, colorful, and can be made more search engine friendly with some simple CSS Tweaks.
IF I could find a way to have multiple Tabs on my blogs start page, I would simply just transfer my current web sites pages verbatim to the new google blog, as well as foreward my URL.
I do not like wordpress, it sticks on my computer, makes posting hard.
Plus, I really like all the color and template changing options on Google Blogs.
There are wordpress revolution and church themes availiable for Google Blogs, but dont like them because you must give up the neat color and font changing ability, unless ya want to write NEW CSS :fryingpan1:
I currently have 2 google blogs, and they are competing against wordpress templates just fine, with a few SEO tweaks.
The MINUTE I find some CSS code that allows for multiple Tabs on a google blog, I think I am going to convert my web site to a google blogspot blog :thumbsup2

My current web site has NO RSS feed ability.
Comments anyone ??

mikehussy1990
19th December 2009, 02:04 AM
Wordpress is better then others,it gives more nice results as compare to others.

roof cleaning
19th December 2009, 12:40 PM
Wordpress is better then others,it gives more nice results as compare to others.
I have nothing to do with this site http://www.mybloggertricks.com/2009/12/wordpress-or-blogger-which-one-is-best.html

I have used their free wordpress style templates for Blogspot, but switched back to the standard Google Blogspot templates because I liked the easy ability to change colors, fonts, etc, etc on my amateurish blog http://www.restrainingorderblog.com

They do a comparasion of Google Blogspot vs Wordpress in the URL I furnished above, if anyone is interested.

My Dad was a mechanic, and swore by Mac Tools.
Other mechanics like Snap On Tools.

I guess it is whatever you feel comfortable with ?

I will say that the free wordpress style Church Template I got from the link above did slightly better in SEO then the Stretch Denim Template from Google Blogspot I am currently using.

To me, it was not worth the extra SEO juice!
Everytime I wanted to change fonts, colors, etc, etc, I had to go into the HTML edits.
I found this to be a real PITA :argh:

I have SEO optimized my Stretch Denim Template by installing some code to make the post TITLE come before the Blogs Title.

This made a HUGE difference SEO wise :thumbsup2

I still want to place a footer on my blog that is SEO optimized, and Hopefully, Google will come out with more and bettter Templates someday ?

I would like to see some TABBED Templates made availiable to us by Blogspot ?

Then, IMHO, a Blogspot Blog can easily take the place of a website.
One would simply use the tabs to easily navigate the pages of the website that have been transferred over to the Tabbed Blog !

AirForce1
20th December 2009, 06:18 PM
I think having targeted keywords in your url would help your SEO in some extents. If you want to have a new view of your sites, just backup your old sites and replace it with a new one or tweak your current sites via CSS. :)

roof cleaning
20th December 2009, 06:29 PM
I think having targeted keywords in your url would help your SEO in some extents. If you want to have a new view of your sites, just backup your old sites and replace it with a new one or tweak your current sites via CSS. :)
I have several blogs and websites, and most have targeted keywords in the URL.
A great idea, BTW :thumbsup2
Several of my sites are top 3 sites for their search terms already, dont wanna screw anything up.
I think I am gonna do it on this site www.brandonsingles.com
It comes up highly for the search term "singles group" on Google.
I think I am gonna transfer the URL to a Google Blogspot Blog, see what happens ?
The website is aimed at the Tampa area, so little need to be so highly ranked on a national scale.
IF we slip out of the top google rankings, it will not effect us locally.
Then, I will know if it is "safe" to change a number one site ??

I have had friends change sites to newer, better design, DROP rankings, and never recover!

It is my opinion Google needs to update Blogspot free templates with site maps, and tabs for web pages/posts.
Some of my web sites have 10 indexed pages on Google!
I sure don't want them getting lost in a Blog ?