Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Don't Do Mistake Of Forgetting Google Images Search? Free Traffic

sahota
23rd April 2009, 08:52 AM
I joined this forum few days back only so thought to contribute something which has proven quite successful for me:

GOOGLE IMAGES

Have you recently tried seeing How Google is showing results in some search pages? It does show image results too and to everyone's surprise people do click on these images and some even buy something. My personal experience is conversion is less , but then what if you can get some sales its not bad.

Now how to get ranked for Google Images:

1. Use alt and title attributes for image tags properly. Specify the keywords. Please don't spam these attributes with lot of words, just mention what the image is all about.
2. If possible just above the image make a heading, and use some keywords related to image in that heading.
3. Image size should be decent enough approx greater than say 200X250 pixels (its just my guess after observing how my images have been listed)
4.If you use GOOGLE webmaster tools, there is a setting in it to enable IMAGE LABELING for your website, enable that.

Leave it to Google to do the MAGIC. Not every image of your website will rank well. But say you have 100 product images and if you are able to get good ranking for 10 products you will get some traffic daily to your website.

For me now a days I am getting 3% of traffic form images. And in last one year I got 1% of sales from traffic through Google Image Search.

For those who would like to spend bit more time in understanding it better here is video from GOOGLE itself:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/03/get-up-to-date-on-image-search.html

I hope you liked my first post to share this information with you and I will contribute with much more in future :) Obviously if you all think its worth it. So give me :thumbsup2

Logan
23rd April 2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for sharing, keep it up! :thumbsup2

My experience is the same regarding image optimization converting at a lower rate, but it's great you've been able to associate it with 1% of your sales. I'd be interested in hearing from any others that have seen some conversions from image search, even if at a lower rate than they are used to from other search.

mattcarpet
24th April 2009, 05:54 PM
I honestly never thought to optimize images for google search an alt tag sure but to include a title too...something to think on anyway.

homebizseo.com
24th April 2009, 07:55 PM
Image searches provide very little traffic from my experience.

urvi88
25th April 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, as i really do not know about this.

sahota
27th April 2009, 09:57 AM
Image searches provide very little traffic from my experience.

But every little counts. Say you have 100 products and you get 1 visit per product per day from google images, you will get 100 visits a day. And I think its not bad to get as much traffic as possible. Most of people might not buy if they come through google images, still you can entice them with some exciting offers to build your list. Might be offer something free so that they sign up. I mean little traffic from google images today might be big tomorrow.

carlar9
29th April 2009, 12:36 PM
Good advice. I'm been doing this for awhile and it does help.

JLeesCastro
29th April 2009, 01:29 PM
I've definitely found increased traffic from Google image search on pages that have well-tagged images... but the downside is that image searchers are often not that interested in the actual content of your site (unless yours is a pictoral one, such as photography or clipart).

Joanna

sahota
29th April 2009, 01:57 PM
but the downside is that image searchers are often not that interested in the actual content of your site (unless yours is a pictoral one, such as photography or clipart).

Joanna

Joanna, things are changing quite quickly with Google. I would say just try to provide good quality pictures and describe them better. When you search for a product , even then Google sometimes display some images in first page of results. So might be if your image interests the visitor he or she might make a purchase as they might be looking for product but then they looked at images displayed in search results that they liked it and made them to purchase the product.

JLeesCastro
29th April 2009, 03:04 PM
That makes sense for product images. For many of my clients (as well as my own site), they may be general images that accompany an idea in the text on the page (eg, "marketing" or "retail", etc) in which case the connection with the monetization goal is less clear.

Joanna

Akmalshahzad
2nd May 2009, 01:12 AM
Great article , i have my one blog and i'm getting daily 150 plus visitors on a very main keyword and belive me i never target that keyword that was so hot keyword and have Huge Competition , but when i start receiving Visitors from that keyword , i was very exited i thought i got first position on that keyword on google And then i search my blog on that keyword and believe me i didn't find my blog on first 25 pages , i was shocked and i thought maybe google analytics have some problem and they are not showing me correct Report And i talk about this with A SEO Expert and he told me search that keyword on google image search then i found that one of my pic ( i have just one pic on my blog) is on first Position And thats why i am receiving huge traffic , And then i get That this is a great trick For having Extra traffic on blogs

janicejan
3rd May 2009, 05:18 AM
its not a bad idea indeed, normal people usually look for random photos and it might also be a great idea to optimize it for gaining extra traffic for our site..

sahota
11th May 2009, 09:08 AM
Yes extra traffic always help, it might generate direct sale at that moment. But its just like sometime you walk into a store when you just want to have a look at various things but not buy anything. Then later few weeks after that you make mind to buy something. So traffic from image can generate sales later on. If not anything else, it helps in BRAND awareness. Might be someone who looks at image on your website will talk about your products in his or her blog or even might talk to some friends. So in nutshell squeeze every bit of traffic which is FREE.

Also thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It was my first informative piece for this forum but I think will contribute regularly now.