Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : 1st Page To Non-existant!! HOW?

lenzcrafter
20th April 2009, 04:00 AM
I currnetly have a really nice website aandmschoolofmotoring.com. I had been on the first page of google for at least the last year or so, i was even on the top of the first page for one of my keywords!!!!!!

I then check on google yesterday and to my disbelief I am nowhere to be seen!!!

My keywords are driving schools in bristol, driving lessons in Bristol, and driving instructors etc you get the ideal!

Any help could be greatly appreciated, has google changed its rules or has my website got problems???

Logan
20th April 2009, 09:52 AM
1) Don't just start changing your stuff
2) You mention your rankings, but more importantly are you getting any referrals from google for any keywords based on your stats program. If you don't have stats, or don't know. Setup hittail.com and monitor any traffic you are receiving
3) Do you have your site setup with google's webmaster central. This program will provide you reporting of any errors/problems googlebot is encountering
4) When you do a google search for [site:www.aandmschoolofmotoring.com] are all of your site's pages included within google's index as you expect.
5) Have you done anything that does not follow google's webmaster/seo guidelines

Those are some preliminary questions to try and start identifying any issues. Typically, if you haven't done anything against their guidelines, the best thing you can do is nothing. Give it some time, and see if your rankings return as expected.

johnnylew
20th April 2009, 10:57 AM
this is the name of the SEO game, google re-indexing can put at the top just as quick as take you off. to be completley removed could mean that you have p'od Google by violating one of their rules (as Logan already mentioned). Sometimes it takes google awhile to catch up on sites that doesnt meet thier strict rules for rankings.

as logan mentioned if you arent violating any rules you may magically reapper days, weeks from now.

it is frustrating at best...but we all feel the seo pain

See our "NFL Towels" rank in google. We have fallen out and come back to the #1 spot over time.

BeckyW
23rd April 2009, 01:24 PM
Making regular, minor changes to your website's content (looks like your News section is a little out of date?) may help. When I searched for "driving school bristol" you came up at the end of the first page, but you're listed on the maps section too, so that's good.

You might ask your web host if they can set up some sort of traffic analysis tool for you, or set up a Google Analytics account, so you can see where your traffic is coming from.

Good Luck!

ktaylor310
23rd April 2009, 04:37 PM
If I remember right, this happened to you before and Logan and I both suggested you not panic and start changing things. Your site was back the next day.

BUT, you should know that when I clicked on the link to your site from Googles "Local business results" at the top of the page, my AVG Web Shield detected a virus on your webite, JS/Downloader Agent. My guess is that is the problem.

mattcarpet
24th April 2009, 06:07 PM
not often but sometimes a search engine will look for you at the same time your web host is down, which if it happens a few times will affect your ranking

This is only a concern if your web host is consistently down though

homebizseo.com
25th April 2009, 05:29 PM
Keep adding content and backlinks and your rankings will return.

eproducts
26th April 2009, 06:14 AM
I agree with Kim & Johnny, don't act in haste and start making modifications as this can happen when google goes through it's re-indexing at times.

It should appear back in a day or two, unless there is something not quite right on your site, such as a virus as mentioned by Kim.

The Virus does not seem to be there anymore.

lordspace
26th April 2009, 09:46 AM
I would suggest doing modifications/improvements on an incremental basis.
Do something. Wait a week. Then do something else.
It's good to be on the first page of Google but staying there is harder because every day there are hundreds of thousands sites appearing every single day.
I'd do is to update the site to a previous state or

Check this out to refresh your memory
http://web.archive.org/web/*/aandmschoolofmotoring.com

Also what I find strange is when I click on team and then each of instructor's photo I'd expect to see a person not the car ;)

mattcarpet
26th April 2009, 04:35 PM
too many new links reciprocal or other wise too fast is a bad thing for ranking too, the spiders/google think that a robot must be getting your links for you and since that is frowned upon the system is designed to lessen the importance of links if they come too fast

Logan
26th April 2009, 08:43 PM
regarding the rate you get new links ... see this thread (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25883) for more on that

ktaylor310
27th April 2009, 06:23 PM
I still think this has to do with the fact that my anti-virus blocked your website for running what it detected as a js/downloader virus. Whether your site actually has a virus or not, AVG thinks so and many, many people use AVG. If Google also believes your site contains a virus it makes sense they would remove the site from their index.

Hopefully now that the virus is gone (I'm not being blocked anymore) this site will be included back in the index next time it is spidered. Not sure about that... anyone know what happens if your site is tagged with a virus?