Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : How To Get Better Results Than The 'scammers'?

Virtual_Gal
6th April 2009, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone,

I've explored SEO as best I can. My knowledge is all self-taught, so admittedly, I'm probably missing a bunch.

My company offers legitimate work-from-home opportunities, but as you all are probably aware, there's a LOT of scams out there that snare both businesses and individuals a like.

My question is - how do I rise above the scum? We work SO hard to build a solid reputation, but I fear that we're not being found and the ongoing predominance of pyramid schemes and companies who 'charge' for lists of 'opportunities' continue to be found before people and businesses find us!

Ideas, thoughts, and suggestions are very welcome.

Jen

torka
6th April 2009, 03:53 PM
There are some sectors that are just so competitive, and have such deeply-entrenched competitors, that it's very very hard for a newcomer to break through. And there are other sectors that are overrun with scammers and spammers who will do anything to get high rankings. They use throwaway domains and black hat techniques to muscle their way to the top "by any means necessary."

Unfortunately, the "work from home" sector seems to be both of these. :(

Of course, you want to hang in there and continue to optimize your site as best you can, using every non-scammy/spammy method available to you. Develop a wealth of useful information. Try to get links from legitimate, high-profile websites. Make sure your site gives off every credibility signal (http://credibility.stanford.edu/guidelines/index.html) that it can. Offer guest posts to blogs on related topics. Start a blog yourself, if you haven't already.

But realistically, unless you have a lot of time and a big budget, you're probably going to have to look beyond SEO to get yourself visible.

You're going to have to use other marketing channels as well.

Don't neglect the basics -- explaining clearly what makes you different from the others out there. Include believable testimonials from people you have helped. That sort of thing.

Beyond that, perhaps you could try advertising -- traditional offline ads (print or broadcast), online banner ads, PPC. Or maybe sponsor a contest or a charity event. Submit articles to print publications related to your market (often they have online versions, and you might be able to get a link -- if not, at least you gain visibility and credibility).

Good luck...

--Torka

JustinMarch
7th April 2009, 06:22 AM
I advise PPC, it can inform your SEO moving forward and in all honesty a business that survives on SEO alone is not a stable one IMHO.

In terms of SEO try getting listed on (the good) sites that come up in the results under the phrases that you are targeting as a first step.

CutCompCosts
8th April 2009, 05:57 PM
I would recommend article marketing and try to target lower competition keywords in your niche. With the traffic you do get you should try and email market them.

You could also use a PPC program to drive traffic to a landing page that offers a free report or a newsletter.

geyser
9th April 2009, 02:08 AM
Torka has covered a lot of areas in her answer, I second that you should create believable testimonials for your website its a very effective marketing strategy, also outsourcing SEO only cost a few so better get a team to work for your site.