Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Importance Of Re-registered Domain Age

vusal.zeynalov
6th April 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi everybody.
I appreciate all of your answers.

We know that domain age is a ranking factor. But there is a question flying in my brain these days. What about re-registered domains? I mean there are domains which are once registered, for example 10 years ago, and last year this domain expired. Someone saw it and re-registered this domain. Does this domain have an age advantage? or it will be counted after its new registry?

Logan
6th April 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Vusal. When you say "someone saw it and re-registered this domain" are you referring to a new owner of the domain (ex. the person who owns the domain has changed according to the registrar's info)?

vusal.zeynalov
6th April 2009, 11:12 AM
Absolutely. for example accidental i found out that www.example.com has 10 year history, but it is expired now it is free to register. is it worth to buy it? has it any advantages?

Logan
6th April 2009, 11:23 AM
Personally, I've had mixed results. I think there are two key factors. One is the content of the site the search engine has previously indexed. The other is the domain ownership information. I believe ...

If the content/site stays the same, and the domain registration information changes the answer is a "maybe"

If the content/site changes, and the domain registration information changes the answer is "no". I'm not positive regarding this, but this is my impression based on my own experiences.

If the content/site stays the same and domain registration information stays the same ... then a clear yes.

In your scenario, it is worthwhile maybe if the site does not
change "significantly". But I wouldn't expect a new site with new domain registration information to carry forward the previous authority of an old site like you describe.

The above is very focused on search engines, there may be benefits to owning the domain outside of the search engines. It is hard to tell the traffic established outside of search engines until you own it and get it setup with stats, etc. One consideration I often have, is this worth it in comparison to a brand new domain. If it is 10 years old, why did someone let it go. Is it penalized? Not infrequent when old domains are let go. Or are there truly benefits to the domain's links/referrals being received. Some times a new domain is better, compared to a penalized domain associated with bad neighborhoods. Some times an expired domain is better, regardless of search engines, if it is well established with quality listings, etc.

vusal.zeynalov
6th April 2009, 12:22 PM
Thank you Logan for your advice