Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Can You Communicate With Google?

chesa7
22nd March 2009, 10:46 AM
I have been working for almost a year at optimising my site and have made very good progress with Yahoo and MSN, but still no progress what so ever with Google. For the same keyword I am #5 in Yahoo and in Google you can go back hundreds of pages and will not find my site. I don't know what else to do. Is there a way to communicate directly with Goolge to try to understand what the problem is? I know there is an appeal process for blacklisting, but I really don't think that is the issue -- everything I have done is on the up and up. Any advice?

Logan
22nd March 2009, 09:31 PM
Not really, at least like you are describing.

Each engine is different, and Google has a tendency to "wait" longer than others when it comes to showing new sites higher in the results. Almost a year may not be long enough, in particular realize gift baskets is a very competitive area.

Question to better understand ... regardless of rankings do you get any visitors from google domains. You would know this by having a stats program like Google Analytics running and then checking referrals. Are you getting any referrals from Google at all, or completely zilch/none.

Another step I would take in your situation is to setup your site with Google's Webmaster Tools (http://www.google.com/webmasters/). This can be helfpul from a standpoint of understanding Google's crawling of your site and if there are particular technical issues they are having with indexing your site.

On a small side note, from an seo standpoint when I briefly reviewed your site I noticed you used your company name at the beginning of every title tag. Repeating your company name isn't probably the issue, but there may be more words you could incorporate within your title tags by using relevant keywords versus your company name on every page.

Other consideration, what is the quality of your backlinks. Source, number. Have you ever purchased/buy links? Do they all go to only home page, or internal pages too? Is your own site navigation reinforcing long tail keywords or only the top tier generic keywords? (Wine/Chocolate are too broad, imo)

One off hand strategy in your situation ... make your site successful and profitable without regard to google. Then when you do well in google, things will really pick up, and if they do drop you in the future you won't be "dependant" on google. Tougher road to travel, but some advantages having to build a successful business without Google. What is working in Y/MSN ... Can you take advantage of that enough and expand further to be successful without Google? If so, do it :)

acwebguru
24th March 2009, 12:13 AM
Google is by far the most effective search engine and it follows some complicated rules which is beyond the understanding of common people and therefore we start blaming it whenever the ranking of our website starts falling. Actually, you have to follow honest SEO rules as dictated by Google for this purpose.

itzpaul
24th March 2009, 01:11 AM
You want to have relevant content on your website for the search term/keyword you are ranking.

You also want to develop backlinks or links that point to your domain name. Depending on how complicated your niche is it may be easy or hard.

Start with ranking with long-tail keywords then focus on the short tail. You won't get short-tail unless your already on the long-tail keywords. (not sure about the last part)

Always use H1, H2, Images. I'd make sure your title has great use of keywords in it.

Jack16
24th March 2009, 05:16 AM
When compared to other search engines, any site will get more traffic from Google search. But Google waits longer when compared to other search engines results.

Google provides the quality and constant traffic to your website once if you where listed in top 10 pages for the targeted keywords.

All you need to do is just optimizing your content and getting good back links from your niche sites.

Check your site for any spam content, over optimization, irrelevant keywords and link farms which may cause to avoid better results in Google.

Use webmaster tools and Google analytics to monitor your site performance and improve search results in google.

janicejan
25th March 2009, 01:29 AM
if you were optimizing in other search engines such as yahoo, msn and ask, each needs different methods also in google, and it maybe the reason why your website isn't ranked well in google, give time in building links in google, its all about getting backlinks and creating quality content.. then just wait for google spiders to crawl on your website to index it.. to make it more effective always create new content, bot love fresh contents.

Tom Lindstrom
25th March 2009, 04:17 AM
The only thing you can do is to write good content and optimize your site.