Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : How To Set Goals In Google Analytics

Gate2Shop
6th March 2009, 08:03 AM
How do you set the goals? I have it set to show conversions but it won't let me set goals.

Karri
6th March 2009, 10:38 PM
You have to specify your goal URL - the page that a visitor will 'land' on after accomplishing the desired goal. For e.g. if you want them to sign up for a newsletter your goal URL might be the newsletter thankyou (for subscribing) page.

Does that help?
Karri

customtollfree
12th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Gate2Shop - Is he referring to the goals conversion in google analytics?

acwebguru
13th March 2009, 12:11 AM
He is somewhat vague in this topic. I wish if he would be rather specific in his next post.

Gate2Shop
13th March 2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the responses.
Sorry for being too vague. I have set up my conversion tracking and that is working, but on the Analtics Dashboard page there is a category for setting goals, and that is grayed out so I cannot select it. Are the goals the same as setting the conversions in adwords?

Jack16
13th March 2009, 04:41 AM
Yes, it is just like the conversions in adwords. You can set up your goals by specifying the URL for a Thank You page or any other page you want. You can specify a goal name so that you will recognize when viewing reports. You can also setup a value for your goal.

Jynell
13th March 2009, 11:35 AM
Establish your goal URL - your landing page in essence. This will get you where you need to be.

Hope this helps.

thomas09
15th March 2009, 09:26 PM
How do you set the goals? I have it set to show conversions but it won't let me set goals.

Hi,

Most probably it would be thank you page link in a Goal URL field.

Gate2Shop
16th March 2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks a lot everyone for the help.

Nutty
15th December 2010, 04:12 PM
Important when setting up goals, make sure you set a goal value, even though this field is optional, it will help determine your ROI when viewing reports at a later date, if you don't know right now then make it up until you can establish a value of the goal created

Nutty

Candice Robins
3rd June 2011, 03:12 PM
One of the most common ways of setting a goal is by using the URL of the thank you page. This should do the trick for you. If not, check out this walkthrough: http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=55515

smallbus01
3rd August 2011, 07:39 PM
Its actually just like adwords. You can set your URL (goal) as your landing page if you want. You just have to change your old setting.

Hampers
3rd October 2013, 05:29 PM
The landing page conversion can be the goal - simple as that.

gaylerichardson
10th March 2014, 06:29 AM
Hii,

It depends what your target and what is your main page target like inquiry form. So if decide then its very easy to internet is best for all information given.

Cindy16
10th March 2014, 11:30 AM
Great to have bumped into this post. I have the same problem with Gate2Shop too about setting a goal in Analytics... Good thing there are really people here who are so helpful to share information like this. Thank you!

patricksimzon
10th March 2014, 11:26 PM
You are using sub Id for Google analytical, then you have occurred this problem. Just login with your master id for same as the website. Then you have EDIT with GA Goal set up.

valeria1
12th March 2014, 01:31 AM
1.Find the URLs of the Actions You Want Visitors to Take
2. Add to new google analytic goals.
3. Make smarter marketing decisions.

AvniShergill
9th April 2014, 03:34 AM
You have to specify your goal URL - the page that a visitor will 'land' on after accomplishing the desired goal. For e.g. if you want them to sign up for a newsletter your goal URL might be the newsletter thankyou (for subscribing) page.

Does that help?
Karri

You have explained this in a layman language, thanks for that.

patriciakramer
10th April 2014, 07:50 AM
Set goal URL like contact us page, thank you page, etc... the visitors land this page.

Mike Wilford
7th March 2016, 02:26 PM
Establish your goal URL - your landing page in essence. This will get you where you need to be.

Hope this helps.

Unless your goal is the thank-you page.

jeffscott
8th March 2016, 02:13 AM
Sign Up and the thank you page are one of the goals to set up as well as the downloading of the video.