Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Would this be "off subject" for my site?

divshow
1st September 2004, 09:15 AM
Hi Everyone ~

Robert...feel free to move this if I put it in the wrong catagory...

I have had, for me, an enormous month of sales in August. The main thing I have sold...ribbed placemats! People have been buying them from all over the country and some as many as 10-15 at a time! I finally asked a few people why so many. They told me they make purses out of them! I looked under a few searches and I am listed #1 in Ribbed Placemats (woo-hoo).

Anyways, here is my question...should I ask one of these people if they would write an article of how they make these purses and why the ribbed placemats and put it on my site? In exchange, I could give her some placemats for no charge and she could boost her sales with this as well. It is totally off subject from my site, home & garden sales, but I am not joking when I say I have had a HUGE number of people ordering these placemats in bulk.

Thanks for your ideas & suggestions! ;)

Robert
1st September 2004, 11:00 AM
Personally I don't think it is off subject because it is an example of what can be done with your products.

I think the article is a great idea that will provide lots of meat for the search engines and ideas for potential visitors. Having shopped at your site, I think of it as my ace in the hole for gift ideas for "hard to buy for" women in my family. Any ideas that you can give me, even if they are for products at other sites, will be of interest to me.

There are lots of opportunities for cross promotion with complimentary sites that reach a similar target audience.

divshow
1st September 2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Robert! I appreciate the advice. :) (and the nice comments ;)...your check is in the mail!)

David Wallace
1st September 2004, 12:00 PM
That sounds like a great idea... if you can get them to do it. The problem is that most people are not writers and would not feel comfortable writing on a subject. If you cannot get any response from your customers, why not conduct some research on the subject and write an article yourself or find out if there are any web sites online dealing with this subject that may already have article content you could then republish, with their permission of course?

divshow
1st September 2004, 02:03 PM
David ~

Thanks for the info. I'll definatly keep that in mind if I don't have any takers. :thumbsup:

divshow
1st September 2004, 05:19 PM
Well, the first one I emailed about this took me up on it! :) She seems to be very excited about it and I think it will be great! I'll let you guys know when I have something...

Once again...thank you Robert & David for your input. It means so much to me that I have a place to turn for questions like this. You guys are the best! :thumbsup:

Robert
1st September 2004, 08:39 PM
That's awesome! Way to go Lisa!

copywriter
2nd September 2004, 01:02 PM
That's a great idea, Lisa. You're a smart business woman for thinking of it!

Old Welsh Guy
2nd September 2004, 01:28 PM
I think that the internet is the best thing to ever happen to the one man band business. It has allowed individuals to network and share their experience from distance. It really does keep me buzzed up constantly.

When someone post 'thank you' it is such a buzz, when someone tells how they have benefittd from ones input it gives me a lift like no other.

Even better than the email saying 'You Have Money' well almost :)

divshow
2nd September 2004, 06:25 PM
Well, the page is up. The article is very small, but I think does the job. The pictures are sure worth a thousand words! I can't believe what she does with a placemat!

Please let me know what you guys think:

http://www.diversifiedshowcase.com/placematpursearticle/

copywriter
2nd September 2004, 06:30 PM
That's cool. If she doesn't mind, you could expand on it (needs to be about twice as long) and submit it to all the article announcement places around the 'Net. Could bring you (and her) some excellent biz!

divshow
2nd September 2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Karon. I'll see what she says. I was just emailing with her and she is scared...(new business jitters). She has been doing it as a hobby for friends and friends of friends, but would like to do some more. She's at the stage in it where she may have a good opportunity and is wondering if she can handle the extra load! :p

Ahhh...I remember those times...the butterflies, self doubt, wondering what to do next. What an exciting time! :D

StupidScript
2nd September 2004, 07:04 PM
Exciting, indeed! Congrats, Lisa!

I received two Javascript errors when going to the article page. They are related and may exist on your other pages, as well. They have to do with the "SubscriptionRocket" script.

Error #1:

<script language="JavaScript"><br />
var srl33t_id = '7663';<br />
</script>

You should remove the two <br /> tags in this scriptlet. They aren't JS syntax, and are the reason the second error is occuring. (The "var srl33t_id" is not being set, so when it is called by the script below, it is moving to the "else" condition, which is using an undefined variable ("id")).

The first script's error leaves the "srl33t_id" variable undefined. Your linked script (SubscriptionRocket's) then generates the second error:

function remotePop() {
if ( typeof srl33t_id != "undefined" ) {
// Clean the first script and "srl33t_id" will be "defined" (your acct number)
this_id = srl33t_id;
}
else {
// "srl33t_id" is not defined, and "id" is not defined, so it errors here
this_id = id;
}

Not so tough to clear up. :)

divshow
2nd September 2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks, James.

I just added those in for good measure at the end of putting up the pages, so I don't doubt that I messed up. :p

I'll try to fix it tonight.

jeanm
3rd September 2004, 04:26 AM
Good Onya Lisa (this Australian expression means that means you've done a great job). I'm impressed with the page. It all sounds so friendly - just the sort of thing I like. You've done well. :thumbsup:

Linda
3rd September 2004, 09:12 AM
Wonderful job Lisa, people's creativity always amazes me; who would have thought of making a purse out of placemats. The article was great but I believe that Bible needs to be capitalized.

Linda :)

divshow
3rd September 2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Linda. I totally agree...I'll change that right now. :thumbsup:

Christian_SEO
3rd September 2004, 10:48 PM
That's a great story! It almost seems like it could be it's own business with it's own site...

Perhaps there are some manufacturing changes that could be made to your basic placemat that would make it easier for those that are involved with the conversions? Like sewing pockets on the bottom of the placemats that would become pockets on the inside of the purse? I'm sure placemat manufacturers would be as interested as you in encouraging this kind of behaviour... what fun!

divshow
4th September 2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I'm trying to get the customer to expand on the article so I can submit to the craft sites, but I think she is too scared of getting busy... ;)