Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Adding more pages to my site

jeanm
19th August 2004, 01:45 AM
I keep reading in SEO articles that I must continually add more pages to my web site. This seems to be related to getting my PR higher and higher - or at least I think that is the reasoning behind it. One article said that I should add a page per day! :rolleyes:

My question is: What does a person put on these pages when everything has been said in the website already.

Can anyone shed some light please?

David Wallace
19th August 2004, 08:25 AM
Actually what you should do is to continuously work on your site to make it the best it can be. That doesn't necessarily mean adding a page a day just for the sake of adding a page but rather making sure your site contains the best and most relevant content related to its subject.

If you have a great site, then other web site owners will very likely find it a valuable resource to link to which will build up your PR.

The bottom line is that there are no formulas. If it makes sense for your visitors or customers using your site to add a page a day, then do it, but not just for the sake of a formula or to gain some PR benefit. Do things for those visiting your site because they will be the ones buying your products or services ... not the search engines.

Patrick
22nd August 2004, 08:44 AM
when everything has been said

It can be hard work to say more, but it can often be done. Each page topic may have content that can be expanded into a sub-topic. Or maybe instead of linking out to an external page for more information, include the "more information" on a page of your own - without actually grabbing someone else's content of course.

Also I recently added several pages to one of my sites by breaking a big page into smaller pages. Google apparently likes pages with approx 500 words of content. But I have to agree that one of the skills that has to be learnt as a webmaster is to make a little seem like a lot.

jeanm
23rd August 2004, 01:00 AM
Thanks David and Patrick - I'm taking notice of the helpful comments from both of you. I didn't know that 500 words was a good maximum for pages so I'll spend a bit of time scrutinizing my pages. I can already think of a couple of pages that would be better if I divided them up. Thanks Guys.

BWelford
23rd August 2004, 06:51 AM
Seems to me that 'ceilings' are something most of us do not do a lot of thinking about. We tend to forget to look up. Once you begin to think about them there's all sorts of questions that may come to mind. I guess not too many of us know much about the most famous ceiling painted by Michaelangelo in the Sistine Chapel at Rome.

I'm sure you know lots of stuff about ceilings that we don't know. So why not write a mini-book (a series of web pages) to try to educate the rest of us about ceilings. I find with a little Google research you can easily amass quite a fund of knowledge and also probably a heap of links to other sites that someone trying to research ceilings might like to check out.

And why do all this? Well not to educate the rest of us, although that will happen. These pages are like a massive butterfly net to catch people who may have an interest in making a ceiling and could be potential customers. Any given page can be optimized for a particular keyword phrase that a potential customer might tap in. Of course you make sure that all these new pages very naturally allow visitors to get to the pages where they might start the buying process. More pages means more links and that will help your Google ranking.

Who knows, if your web pages are particularly informative, others may link to them too. You become an authority. ... and so on, and so on, and so on.

Patrick
23rd August 2004, 06:53 AM
jeanm, that's 500 words of page-specific content after the markup is stripped out and all the usual repetitive links etc. And bear in mind 500 words is a conventional wisdom guideline and not something that Google has published as gospel. Some people say 750, others say less, but it is commonly said that "Google likes small pages". Definitely if you have a big page it could be worth breaking down, for the sake of the page itself and also because it does give you an extra page (or pages).

Plus, I totally agree with Barry - just read the post!

copywriter
23rd August 2004, 09:28 AM
Google likes small pages

I caution everyone reading this thread NOT to build a site based on what Google (or any other search engine) wants. You have to have balance. If you build a site focusing only on what the engines want (or what you/others *think* they want) your site visitors will most likely suffer because of it.

Remember last November? Remember all the sites that were built specifically to impress Google? Remember the Florida update that turned almost all those sites on their heads and tossed them right out the window?

As David (and anyone else of credibility in the SEO world) said:

The bottom line is that there are no formulas. If it makes sense for your visitors or customers using your site to add a page a day, then do it, but not just for the sake of a formula or to gain some PR benefit. Do things for those visiting your site because they will be the ones buying your products or services ... not the search engines.

This is a long-standing lesson we all should never forget.

Karon

jmjj215
23rd August 2004, 10:04 AM
I'm particularly interested in this topic. I struggle with copywriting quite a bit I've decided. And I also struggle with the whole idea of link exchanges. A friend told me that I just "have to do it" to get a good ranking in the search engines (I got my first google hit yesterday - they didn't stay much).

Can't I just write a lot of good, unique stuff about personal finance and let that do the job for me? Is my strategy full of holes if I say that I will write 2 or 3 new articles per week so that my content will be linkworthy for other webmasters? Do I really have to do a reciprocal link campaign?

I tend to side (with my limited knowledge) that you should ultimately write to provide content. Isn't content still king?

Patrick
23rd August 2004, 10:39 AM
write 2 or 3 new articles per week so that my content will be linkworthy for other webmasters

Sounds like an excellent strategy to me. In that sense, you can say that content is king. But I doubt if a site in a competitive area can compete without gaining incoming links from strong external pages, and I know from my own experience that this can be a very hard thing to achieve. Google's model is still largely built on link popularity (and to a lesser degree, Yahoo etc) so if you are able to garner incoming links simply by virtue of the quality of your content, you should be on a winner in the long term, especially as you may not need to reciprocate simply for the sake of it.

Robert
23rd August 2004, 10:45 AM
Of course you make sure that all these new pages very naturally allow visitors to get to the pages where they might start the buying process.

Jakob Nielsen's latest article reinforces this point made by Barry.

Informational Articles Must Ask For the Order

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040823.html

Snippet:
Unless you have explicit links to product pages from article content, users who visit articles directly from search engines might never realize that you sell related products.

Old Welsh Guy
23rd August 2004, 11:43 AM
Articles are there for a reason, they are the bait that pulls the buyers into your site. Our wedding sit egot 90% of its visitors arriving from articles and information, and the bulk of them left via a link to a supplier. Just as it should be.

jeanm
23rd August 2004, 07:26 PM
Oh boy! Now I have a lot to think about! Thanks everyone.

StupidScript
24th August 2004, 12:11 PM
re: 500 words per page and similar concepts

What do search engines try most to "do"?
Deliver search results that they "think" will best-satisfy the query.

How to determine that elusive quality?
One method is to "read" the page and see how often and in what context the query or parts of the query are repeated on a page.

With shorter pages, the ratio of query terms to total wordcount is typically higher, lending the appearance (to search engines and humans) of greater relevance. Hence the thought that 500-750 words is a "good" guideline. Unless you are a masterful copywriter, it's pretty tricky to get a good ratio with more words in the page.

To repeat oft-repeated advice, breaking up the content into smaller pages makes it easier to target query terms, and increase the term:wordcount ratio, which usually results in better algorithm positioning.

If you have a lot about a subject, make a Part 1 and Part 2. I mean, why not? I don't know anyone who really gets into reading scroll after scroll after scroll. Most folks prefer page after page, clicking the mouse, "moving forward" more than staying on one page for a long time.

IMHO

copywriter
25th August 2004, 07:24 AM
Hence the thought that 500-750 words is a "good" guideline.

Careful now... what about your target audience? Not everybody will "tolerate" longer copy. As a matter of fact, about 50% of the personality types in the world would click away in a heartbeat if they saw 750 words of copy on a page. These are the quick decision makers. They move fast, think fast, and buy on a whim most of the time. Before they slowed down long enough to read/skim/glance over 750 words of copy they'd click away. Just seeing so many words on the page would scare them.

Remember, you can't just write for the engines. You have to have balance. Your customers/visitors have to be taken into consideration, too. Otherwise your high rankings will get you nowhere. Yes, you'll have lots of traffic, but no sales. Not a good thing. ;)

Patrick
26th August 2004, 12:19 AM
Hi Karon, and I'm sure you're right. Not all websites are trying to sell things though. Some are there to provide information for people doing research - an important aspect of the web. Sure, even those people like to have their information nicely parcelled, but their attention span is maybe a bit longer than someone surfing for a cheap digital camera and only looking for a model number and a pricetag jumping out of the page.

It's a depressing but illuminating statistic - how short a time people spend on one's carefully written pages, so your point is well-made.

macichka
16th December 2009, 08:10 AM
I had the same problem as you did but when I read this forum my problem is gone. Thank tou:)

Nutty
16th December 2009, 08:22 AM
Do not add content for the content argument's sake!

I use analytics to see what my customers are interested in at the time and create content for those users, what do you think your customers would like to see on your website?

If you think new content would be helpful then by all means add new content and syndicate this as you would usually but no I would not agree with the statement "add a page a day", if you were talking about blogging then I may be inclined to agree that you should post new information as often as possible but for a website, no.

As for content length I agree with "copywriter", it depends what you are talking about, some content needs to be long if you are describing how an object works, for example, we have a business that sells walkie talkies so some of our content needs to be very lengthy as our customers want to know the ins and outs of the specifications, however, if our website was selling wellington boots then how on earth would I provide 500-750 words of text and keep the customer interested?

I probably couldnīt so instead I would write less content and keep the visitor interested and on the page for longer

I am one of those people who will just not read lengthy text except on a few subjects (such as health websites) so I need the information in my face, quick and simple with an easy option to buy :)

Perhaps you should think about a good bit of link bait that would excite your customers, but donīt make the mistake of simply writing your website for Google, stuff them and think about your customer and what he wants, if you do this you will find Google also agrees ;)

BeTheBest
16th December 2009, 10:21 AM
Just to add my 2 cents... you didn't mention what business you're in, but have you considered things like recent newspaper articles or magazine articles?? I am NOT suggesting that you copy the article. However, you can write content ABOUT the article and provide snippets or quotes from the article, of course adding the details of where it came from.

There is a TON of content available that's already written for you, if you look for it. That way, a 'news' section or 'current' category could let you add content about your product/service/industry in the news.

Once again, I am not suggesting that you copy the article. I don't support that at all. But the idea is already formulated and writing the quotes (with the correct mention of the author) can help your site grow further.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

AirForce1
18th December 2009, 10:01 AM
I keep reading in SEO articles that I must continually add more pages to my web site. This seems to be related to getting my PR higher and higher - or at least I think that is the reasoning behind it. One article said that I should add a page per day! :rolleyes:

My question is: What does a person put on these pages when everything has been said in the website already.

Can anyone shed some light please?
I don't think you need to put one page everyday but I do think it is necessary to keep your contents up to date. :)
PR might rely more on how many quality backlinks you have for your sites.

Have a nice day,

BeTheBest
18th December 2009, 10:41 AM
Depends on the topic of your website. If you actually sell products, then there is a huge opportunity for simple product reviews. Make a list and do comparison (one product against the other with the old checklist type layout) and what you think about them. If you're trusted by your visitors, they will put a lot of value in what you say.

After all, if I am going to purchase something that I have never bought before, or something new (let's say digital camera, ok?) then I would rather listen to your comments (honest comments.. not just 'nice camera') and let me know what's good and what's not so good. Makes it easier to buy. Specially if your article links direct to the product page! (good idea)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

getinspace
20th December 2009, 10:19 PM
Good relevant content, use a silo structure / co occurrence matrix, build and link to sites like squidoo, scibd, etc etc, and you can get indexed within hours, and see nice organic reults within a week or less.

adidashome
27th December 2009, 09:24 AM
This is a monumental task.