Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : Who's more likely to buy?

Virginia SEO
22nd July 2004, 06:17 PM
Question. Are people who can correctly spell more or less likely to purchase online? For example, if someone finds your site by typing in the correctly spelled search phrase, are they more likely to stay and buy?

Do you have any data to support this?

From an SEO perspective, it is probably easier to market the misspelled phrases than the correctly spelled ones.

Just wondering :)

Old Welsh Guy
23rd July 2004, 03:46 AM
IMO people who mispell (like me) don't know they have got it wrong, so there is no difference between the two.

The problem comes in as much as that if you have wrongly spelled words on your page, you can look un-professional. This is a bigger problem than the one you mention. Looking bad, can lose you sales, so tread carefully.

If there is no competition for the words spelled wrongly, then very weak SEO will get you up there ie alt image attributes on clickable images, in the description, hidden away beyon the 63 digit cut off that is the max that most SE's display in the browser (They truncate the display but do not stop indexing the actual text, so it is read and noted).

I would go down that route personally. I would not knowingly add mispellings to my copy.

BWelford
23rd July 2004, 07:13 AM
What a great question, Virginia SEO.

It reminds me of that old joke:
A drunk was on his knees searching under a street light.
A passer-by asked, "Did you lose something?".
The drunk replied, "Yes, I dropped my keys."
The passer-by said,"Let me help you. Can you say roughly where you dropped them."
The drunk replied,"Yes, it was over there, but it's too dark to see anything at all there."

I'm with OWG on the importance of doing your website right so that you establish credibility and trust in your website.

Another 'out on a limb' theory could be that education possibly correlates with wealth. So perhaps there are more people with money among those who don't make spelling mistakes. If they have money, they may be more interested in buying. So try to appeal to them.

David Wallace
23rd July 2004, 09:37 AM
We have one client who wanted to capture traffic for a common misspelling of their company name so we built a error type of page that served as a landing page and explained that if they had found this page, they might has misspelled the company name, etc., etc. Then they can click thru to the home page. Kind of a doorway page of sorts but not orphaned, no sneaky redirects and effective.

It has been recommended in the past to hide misspellings in the keyword meta tag but a recent test I conducted proved this to be ineffective. Possibly a person can place misspelled words in a <noscript> tag as those get indexed. I have never tried this however so can't say how affective this might be.