Google

Web smallbusinessbrief.com

View Full Version : submit to directories

lake_ontario2000
22nd July 2004, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a totally newbie to internet marketing. I am so glad to find this forum and learned a lot from just listening. Thank you.

I am submitting to some directories. And I don't know is this the right place to post the questions I have in mind.

When I submit to some directories, they ask me to insert certain meta tag to my page. Is it good to my site or not?

Also I find it is so time consuming just submitting. I just wonder how do you guys usually do? How many directories do you submit everyday?

Thank you

Robert
22nd July 2004, 03:28 PM
Hi Yang! We are glad you're here. :)

Do you know what types of meta tags they are suggesting you add to your pages? For example, meta description, meta keyword, etc.

Localmn
22nd July 2004, 03:50 PM
Do you mean a special meta tag that they have you cut and paste in your own code? I've seen a lot of them before. I don't think they're evil, but I do avoid them just to be safe.

I've seen directories that will automatically pull up your meta description and keyword tags when you enter your URL as well.

Yep, submitting to directories is time consuming. I don't submit to a certain amount everyday. It's really good for link building purposes, and depending on how competitive your industry is, the more you'd probably want to find. Hope this helps.

Paul

WiteKnite
23rd July 2004, 06:46 AM
Couldn't agree with you more... posting is a lot of work... I thought I'd "get rich quick with little or no work" and it turns out that's not true! ;)

When I started, I used to set a goal of X directories per day... I started with 10 and never actually made that... then I went to 5, and sometimes didn't make that... Depending on the directories you encounter, it can be VERY time consuming. :(

The best approach I've found is to dedicate a certain amount of time per week and post for that time. To make that time more productive, I've created a procedure. I have a list of activities I do and a list of places to post all written down, separated by target market, etc.

Many entrepreneurs don't do that because they don't like the routine, but it's routine work and it has to be done. By doing it this way, I can achieve effective results in a minimum amount of time. Even when you can't automate a task, developing a system, procedure, routine, whatever you want to call it... will make you much more productive. :thumbsup:

Old Welsh Guy
23rd July 2004, 08:15 AM
Hi Yang, welcome

You are right, it is very time consuming. The trick is to automate as much as possible. Do yourself a favour and open up notepad, and create yourself a 'directory submission page'

Write out the perfect

Title
Description
Keyword set

together with the full url incl http://

Next go to your researched list of directories and copy it below the above information.

You are now set to copy & paste your way through more directories than you know.

All you now need to do is copy the url of the first directory into the browser, go to it, go to the submission page, then copy & paste the prewritten data from the notepad page.

Submit, delete the directory from the list, move on to the next. This is what I do, and It means never having to worry about which directories you have submitted to as if it aint on the list, then it has been done. Just save that notepad text file (don't use word as it will add hidden tags that might stop the htmp from being read properly) .

Next time you are ready to submit, open up the file, and you start exactly where you left off. If you come across a new directory, then just add it to the foot of the submission list.

Hope this helps

OWG

David Wallace
23rd July 2004, 09:29 AM
I do something similar to OWG. I view source of clients home page and edit it to include the following:

========================

My name

A throw-a-way email address

Company Name

Title Tag (only use complete title tag in some directories, most often you will use company name only)

Description

Keywords (from keyword meta tag)

Short list of keywords (space separated, no repeats)

Directory friendly description (more third person, 'site contains' as opposed to first person, ' we offer')

JoeAnt description (they do not like you copying meta description tags and want an un-biased third person review of what the site contains)

Illumirate Opinion

Company address and phone number.

========================

I then save this on desktop and am ready to copy and paste. A lot of time can be consumed just searching for the right categories.

I also wrote a pretty concise article on directory submissions. It is in two parts - Proper Directory Submissions - Part I (http://www.searchrank.com/resources/art007.htm) and Proper Directory Submissions - Part II (http://www.searchrank.com/resources/art008.htm).

lake_ontario2000
23rd July 2004, 10:24 AM
Thank you everyone. You really help me to organize the submission. And David, I am reading your article now. Thank you.

Yang

NatashaVexcom
23rd July 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm glad that someone asked this question. I was on
today and came across a list of directories (http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?threadid=720). I have a few questions about directories as well.

How can you tell which directories are legit and not just ways to get your email address. (I visited the links on that website and only 3-4 I know to be legimtimate)

Does it hurt you at all to submit to directories that are not legit?

Thanks in advance for the help guys ands dolls,
Natasha

[edit - removed live signature, you can add a signture in your control panel - DW]

Robert
23rd July 2004, 03:21 PM
Hi Natasha, welcome to the forum! :)

How can you tell which directories are legit and not just ways to get your email address.)

You can't always tell because new directories are sprining up all the time - some intend to be legit, some not. One easy way to handle the email issue is to use a "throw-away" email address and use that for all of your submissions. You could get an email account with one of the free providers for this.

I wouldn't think so, but I'd like to have others respond to this as well in case anyone has run into some funky situations.

Old Welsh Guy
23rd July 2004, 04:00 PM
IMO there is no such thing as a bad incoming link. There are such things as incoming links that do absolutely no good, but even they are not bad. Regarding emails, I normally use the name of the site as the email address. If I am registering at dodgydirectory.co.uk, then I set the email as [email protected]

The beauty about doing it this way, is that the catch all picks up the address to it, and, as soon as the spam starts coming, you know exactly what scumbag sent it to you as they are using a unique mail addy.

aweston39
29th September 2004, 10:18 AM
Hi,
My question is how often to submit to search engines?
Do you just do it when you make changes to your site or is there a certain time frame?
There are sites where you can submit to a whole lot of directories and search engines for free.
Are they good to use, it does make it so easy.
Please any replies will be great. :confused:

David Wallace
29th September 2004, 12:54 PM
As far as the top search engines go (Google and Yahoo) there is never any reason to submit your site as they will find it on their own and the same holds true when updating. They will find your updates on their next scheduled crawl to your site.

If your site is new, then make sure to get it listed in some of the top directories and then Google and Yahoo will find it from there.

tomsk
23rd October 2004, 12:43 PM
I have started a new directory which I would invite those who are interested to join you can find it at www.orangefish-directory.co.uk the idea is to try and keep it spam free and of interest to people.

A reciprocal link is not required although you will be asked to provide one when you apply just type in something like www. anyoldrubbish.co.uk

mapbooks4u
26th November 2004, 07:21 PM
My question is how often to submit to search engines?

Hi April, I submit my online stores to the free search engines every six months. I notice that every time I do, other new search engines come and spyder my stores within days.

There are sites where you can submit to a whole lot of directories and search engines for free. Are they good to use, it does make it so easy.

I do use the search engine sites that submit to multiple search engines as well and I like them. I submitted one of our stores to two of the free search engine submission sites that automatically submit to multiple search engine listings, (because it normally takes 3 - 6 months to get listed), and lo and behold in less then nine days we received almost a $1,000.00 in orders!

We have been rapidly trying to add all of our products now that we know it is already showing up out there. When I listed with those free search engine submission sites, I had no hope that we would get listed so quickly, only that I wanted to get the ball rolling as we were adding our products.

I took the liberty of looking at your meta and if I may suggest:

Rearrange your meta area to display in the order below rather then how it is now.

Meta title
Meta description
Meta keywords
Meta revisit after

You may even want to enter these Meta categories:

Meta Owner
Meta Author
Meta Reply to
Meta Distribution
Meta rating
Meta Copyright
Meta robots

between the category Meta Keywords and the category Meta revisit after.

If you want to know what to put in the descriptions for those categories, go to my home page and right click, then choose View Source and look at my meta information. If you need more help? Just ask! :cool:

David Wallace
27th November 2004, 11:41 AM
Really the only useful meta tags are the meta description tag and then the meta keyword tag. The title tag is not actually a meta tag but is probably the most important element of a web page in regards to how search engines decide to rank pages.

All those other meta tags are completely useless. It also does not make any difference what order they are in.

Chris
27th November 2004, 07:09 PM
Some very good points in this thread. The following are some random thoughts I had.

From what I know of Meta Tags most are disregarded by the larger search engines however it does not hurt to include them. The title is very important from what i have seen.. so have a long descriptive one. If you have lots of images make sure you use Alt tags to insert more text.

One problem I have run across with site designs is that people use so many graphics there isn't much text for the search engines to use when weighting information (see Alt Tags). You can always create a Front Door page which is mainly text based to get your page listed high up as well as something called Deep Site Link Submission.

Multiple URLs with your product name somewhere in the URL is always good even if its a little long.

David Wallace
28th November 2004, 06:06 PM
Sorry but need to correct some more "mis-information".
The title is very important from what I have seen.. so have a long descriptive one.
Actually search engines will only index so many characters out of a title tag. 64 is the number I work with which includes spaces. Therefore your titles should describe the page in a way that will immediately tell someone what the page is about. I also like to make sure the company or web site name is included for branding purposes.

If you have lots of images make sure you use Alt tags to insert more text.

One problem I have run across with site designs is that people use so many graphics there isn't much text for the search engines to use when weighting information (see Alt Tags).
The proper name is "alt attribute" as it is an attribute of the image tag, not a tag in and by itself. Alt attributes are to be used to describe the image and if the image is hyperlinked to another page, then it should describe the page it is pointing to. For example, if I am linking an image to a page about my blue widgets, then I can use alt="Blue Widgets". Keep in mind that search engines only give weight to alt attribute text in hyperlinked images so it does not help SEO-wise to stuff a lot of text in your alt attributes.

You can always create a Front Door page which is mainly text based to get your page listed high up...
This sounds like a doorway page. You should never need to worry about the multitude of images keeping a search engine from finding your text. They will find it with no problems, as long as it exists. Your site should cater to your visitors anyway, not just the search engines as your visitors are the ones who will make your web site successful or not.

...as well as something called Deep Site Link Submission.
What is this? Are you referring to submitting multiple interior pages to a search engine? That is not necessary. Rather a person simply needs to make sure a search engine can find those links on their own. In fact, one never needs to submit to a search engine in the first place. Get your site listed in a directory or on another site that is already in a search engine and they will find it on their own. That is their "preferred method".

Multiple URLs with your product name somewhere in the URL is always good even if its a little long.
In my eight years as an SEO and search engine marketer, this is simply another myth. Having product names in URLs makes hardly any difference at all, not enough to worry about it.

Where did you hear all the info you posted? One should not believe everything they read or hear about as their is a lot of "mis-information" floating around out there. Best to check out your sources before stating something as fact.

TechEvangelist
29th November 2004, 07:20 AM
Ditto to everything David said. I've been doing SEO work for more than seven years and I am always amazed about the number of myths that become firm beliefs.

The only thing I want to add is that when a company name is added to a title tag, I always place it on the right side of the tag. Your title tag should focus on your keyword theme for the page. Most people will be searching for the product, service or information you offer, and not your company name. Focus on trying to deliver what a user is searching for and you'll see more users clicking on your link rather than one of the other nine on a search results page.

The most useless title tags are those that look like this: "JoJo Company - Home Page"

Craig

Valerie
30th November 2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks David, for clarifying things for me in all your posts... I have been getting so many different pieces of "advice" from all the different "experts"... it's hard to discern what is the real thing at times!

After reading these posts, I will AGAIN go in an make changes to my title and description. I get so confused reading all the different "rules", that I end up not knowing WHAT the right thing is to do. And learning to do my own site optimizing has been an EYE OPENER! :eek: I don't know WHAT the he** I'm doing! :looney:

I learn so much on this forum!
Keep it coming!
Valerie

dcristo
29th December 2004, 04:00 AM
I'm glad that someone asked this question. I was on
today and came across a list of directories (http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?threadid=720). I have a few questions about directories as well.

How can you tell which directories are legit and not just ways to get your email address. (I visited the links on that website and only 3-4 I know to be legimtimate)

Thanks in advance for the help guys ands dolls,
Natasha

[edit - removed live signature, you can add a signture in your control panel - DW]

I am of the belief any link is a good link. Even if you get no real huge benefit from it, what have you lost? Worst case scenario, you get spammed. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the directory, just use a throw away email address.

AvniShergill
9th April 2014, 03:12 AM
I do prefer directory submission, and meta description and meta keywords entered while submitting the links really helps a lot.